| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka all of a sudden is noticing being in a poopy diaper. And she learned the "potty" sign within two days to indicate when she wants to be changed. She poops and then immediately starts pulling at her diaper anxiously and doing the sign. I'm kind of blown away by that after her total lack of noticing up till now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
ol' garly cooch

I. Cannot. Get. Fini. Out. Of. Diapers.

Sigh.

She just refuses. And every time we push the issue, we get a re-enactment of the Mr. Hanky episode from South Park.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
Semen Strong

I've been doing more research into the opinion piece posted earlier and it doesn't seem to have much merit.

Here is a link with better research. http://www.parentingscience.com/science ... ining.html

At the end of the day, it just seems that it works well to let them lead.

At the moment we have so much nakey time, and I will offer the potty and she says no and runs off and pees next to it. I have gotten peed on at least 3x today. If she poops in her diap, she brings us a diap to be changed which is pretty darn cute.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ahhh bumping this ancient thread to complain:
D's been potty-trained for almost 2 years, with hardly any accidents while awake and really only one accident per month overnight, I'd say. Well, in the last 2 weeks she has been wetting the bed almost every night - sometimes TWICE. There's honestly nothing new going on that we are aware of, we've cut back her intake of liquids etc. but nothing is helping. I truly believe that it is accidental, that she's not doing it on purpose but what the hell! Is she entering some new phase of sleep that is extra-deep?
I'm about to insist that she wear a diaper cover to bed tonight because H is having to wash all of her blankets/sheets every friggin' day. I don't want to make her feel bad about it, but it's just getting so ridiculous and the fact that I can't figure out what's causing it is making us crazy.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ha wow I just looked back at this thread and I was complaining about this very same thing almost exactly a year ago! I wonder if this has something crazy to do with spring/the beginning of warmer weather because that's really quite a coincidence. A few people have suggested that perhaps she is cold, which I find difficult to believe, but she is wearing lighter pajamas now than she was during the winter hmm.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I bought a thing that goes on the toilet seat (it hasn't arrived yet). Didn't buy a step stool yet (he can't climb yet either). Not really sure what I am going to do other than have him watch a potty training video and put him on the potty. I don't think he's ready yet, but I want to start getting him used to sitting there, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bought a seat for the toilet as well for Miles. I don't see him interested in a small potty like Reno was. He has been waking up dry for almost a week now! Its the perfect time to just plop him on the thing but is impossible to do because of when he wakes up and because of getting Reno ready for school. I know with Reno we missed a great potty training opportunity when she was slightly younger then 2. I feel we are missing it with Miles as well. There is no way to wake him up early just to sit on the potty.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, we have started potty training. It isn't going great, but not terrible, I guess. Yesterday he peed without any drama once (we started yesterday) before that time I would out him on the potty anytime he started peeing, same with today. He has pooped on the floor twice today, ugh!

It is 1, he is napping and I am drinking a beer. Yes. I am an awesome mom.

The worst thing is actually not being able to leave the house. W are always on the go and having adventures, this is like torture. (I am SUCH a whiner). I made water color paints and I'm waiting for them to dry, we will paint this afternoon and probably go swimming. I need him to get better at telling me when he needs to pee so we can leave the house.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:18 pm 
Chip Strong

Older Girl is FINALLY starting to go poop in the potty. I tried bribing her with stickers, which worked for pee, but not until I tantalised her with dried apricots did she start going consistently. She still misses sometimes, but she's doing much better.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm 
Chip Strong

So, when is a good time to start weaning my kid off the rewards she gets for pooping? She's still not 100% consistent, but getting fairly close. She seemed to stop "needing" the stickers she got for pee on her own... think she'll do the same with her dried apricot poop rewards?

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good question, I dunno.

I put Carlos on the potty after he pooped in his diaper and wiped his bum while he was on the potty. Then he signed more for me to wipe his bum some more. It was pretty cute for a potty-related event.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm not sure when to stop giving rewards, maybe when she stops asking?

Well, Grey is potty trained. It took about 10 days. He still has accidents of course, but he gets it. He rarely has an accident at home and he only really does at school, but I think that will change soon.

We found that he didn't want rewards or praise really. After he goes to the bathroom we mostly just say, thank you for peeing/pooping in the toilet. Sometimes he helps us put it in the big toilet and flush. It's really interesting to see what works for your kid! Grey is not a fan of public restrooms so I'm dragging a toilet around with me in the car. Of course it's 115 degrees here now so the toilet gets hot in the car and then he won't use that either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh wow! Go Grey! 10 days - that is amazing! I guess he was really ready.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't know if I would say he was ready. I mean, he had never peed or pooped on the toilet before we started. I just had a window and the preschool he started going to potty trains starting at 18 months, so Grey was behind. Honestly I read a great book and it encouraged me to be consistent and it worked. The two things i kept repeating to myself is that one, he is ready for this, i may not be, but he is. that made me stick with it. the other thing was that if i gave up i was going to have to start over and do it again. He has accidents, but not much. Now at home he doesn't even announce pee, he just goes to the toilet and does his business.

I know there are ten million theories about potty training, but I loved Jamie glowacki. It was really sensible and easy. Just a few things she said that struck me because they were all what I planned to do. One, don't keep the potty out for your kid to "get used to". She pointed out that they have 100 plastic toys, the toilet is not exciting or scary, it's another plastic thing. The second was that if you potty train half the time and then put a diaper on half the time the kid will be confused and have a harder time learning. The third was if you let them go diaper free and they pee and poop on the floor and then all of a sudden you want them to use the toilet they will have a harder time learning. I dunno if it's true for all kids, but I hid the toilets for a couple weeks, picked a day and he hasn't worn a diaper since.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks for posting this, Littlebear. Most people I know seem to be waiting a little later so I hadn't thought about it too much, but after reading what you wrote and getting that book I started to rethink the halfhearted putting out of the potty. I spent a couple days being honest with myself: I don't really want to make the effort to do this.. and so reading the book and learning that it will get much more difficult if I just wait (rather than sort of happening on its own) was more motivating. Plus, it's a good time - I identified a week soon where I can avoid leaving the house much, we're on break from music class.. I know V is capable, even though I'm sort of dreading having to focus on finding bathrooms everywhere, etc., for a while. And the biggest deal: we're in a decent spot right now, routine-wise. After a week of vigilance I've cut the sleep struggles down pretty well. My husband will be home from deployment in a couple months..and when he does, I'll have to get him up to speed and on board and his comings and goings always kind of mess her days up anyway.

Anyway, I read the book, I hid the potty (it was mostly just being used for peeing, but she'd occasionally stuff things in it, and lately has been refusing to sit on it when I asked if she wanted to sit (I know, mistake!), so I think putting it away to have an attitude reboot is a good idea. I think we're going to try to start next Friday after I get home from a meeting (or the day after, I don't know if middle of the day is a no-no).

ETA: other influencing factors are that lately Vi has been specifically refusing cloth diapers and asking for the disposables, and I both don't like to go through disposables so much AND don't want her to get used to feeling so dry after she pees.. And I have to keep reminding myself that carrying and washing extra clothes is actually easier than washing a separate load of diapers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos pooped in the potty! He was already mid-poop in his diaper, but at least he got to experience pooping in the potty. He signed all done when he was done, let me wipe his bum (which is not easy, is there a good way to do this without getting poop on you?), and then I washed his hands. We aren't potty training really, just getting him used to what the potty is for. I guess it is kinda training, but not really. He is very interested in the flushing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 am 
Nooch of Earl

About 9 days into potty training for seriouses, we haven't had any accidents for 48 hours. The trickiest part was at night, because honestly my success at waking her to pee was not that great. Once it worked great, the rest of the time she either refused to pee in the potty, refused to go back to sleep, did both and then peed on the floor, or I just overslept and forgot to wake her up. She never wet the bed but she would wake up, climb out of bed, and pee on the floor next to the potty!! But the last couple nights she's woken up and I've heard her on the baby monitor and scrambled down to put her on the potty. Success!!

At this point she tells me pretty well when she needs to poo but peeing always takes prompted trips to the potty. She's not peeing on the floor the last couple days but she doesn't initiate a trip tot he potty either. For now, I think that's fine.. We have definitely made a lot of progress!! And she even went on a public toilet during an outing. I think we might be ready to attempt longer outings but I'm still a little nervous about dealing with the inevitable accident all over a store or somesuch.

Anyway, it's definitely been slower going than the popularity of the three day business has made me believe (although every single person I talk to who's done the 3 day bootcamp thing says "oh but it took 10 days." She's on the young side, but she's doing great. And we've basically been following the methods suggested in the book littlebear suggested, albeit imperfectly. I have to really catch myself from making a lot of the "mistakes" like asking if she has to go the first week. I think that was part of our messy start. It really, really did work much better to say "ok time to pee now" firmly and walk her over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 am 
Naked Under Apron

annak wrote:
I think we might be ready to attempt longer outings but I'm still a little nervous about dealing with the inevitable accident all over a store or somesuch.

When we go out, our outings are inevitably long (since we have no car and live in the country). We use training pants for Raygold when we go out in case of accidents (he started calling them his 'going out pants'), but offer him trips to the toilet as often as we can. We haven't had too many accidents, which is great, considering just a trip to the grocery store takes about 5 hours. Most of the time when he wets his training pants, you can't even tell, although the last time, it was a bit of a mess -- we'd been at the dentist and he'd been helping himself to the water from the cooler and both my husband and I totally forgot to take him to the toilet before we went to the train station (we were outdoors and alone when he peed). Fortunately, we always bring an extra pair of trousers and training pants and a plastic grocery bag to stash wet clothes.

My SIL has a car and when she was potty training, she took their potty with her in the car!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Semen Strong

We were in the car and L said "Peepee!" And I said "can you pee in your diaper?" And she said "No!" And so a few minutes later we got to the mall, got out, and I asked if she wanted to go to the toilet. And she said "Yes!" And so we went to the toilet, I held her on it, and she peed and was very proud of herself!

So exciting! I can't share this on FB, because I'm pretty sure I'll end up on STFU Parents :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

go Leela! That's great that she was able to hold it until you got to the mall!

Miles has been interested in sitting on the toilet with his kid seat on it. He hasn't done anything yet but at least he is interested. I'm not pushing and will only put him on when he asks too. I want to start seeing if he will willingly sit on it in the mornings since he is still waking up dry.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We don't make any effort toward potty training, but Malka has a little potty and sometimes takes off her diaper to sit on it, fake poop (straining), and then gets off. Today she took off all her clothes and diaper, sat on it, nothing happened, I just decided to leave the diaper off for a few minutes and went to tend to dinner on the stove. A few minutes later she ran to get me and led me to the pottyto show me she actually peed! A lot! But then she completely freaked out when I tried to dump it - "no mommy that's my pee!!!". And eventually dismantled the potty seat, took the. bucket, and dumped it in the toilet herself! Totally amazed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, Malka! That's fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yay Malka!

Dumping the pee/poop into the big toilet is babynut's favorite part of potty training. I'm afraid she's going to drop it or something, but she's very serious about it and says, "bye bye poop!" as it goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

holy wow Malka! that is freakin' awesome, and Babynut too!
this is sorta related but also o/t, but I have to say: Why the hell does Sierra poop so goddamn much? It's pretty nuts. And messy, not those compact little rollaway turds aaagh. I made some joke about how frequently she goes when we were at the dr recently and he said "well, you feed her all that fiber!" because I'd enumerated what types of foods she eats as a vegan hmmph. It just seems to be her the way her system works, silly dismissive doctor!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That is so cool! Yay Malka and Babynut!

Audrey, Sven is 19 months and still poops like 5 times a day! I've actually always attributed it to a vegan diet, but I really don't know!

This is kind of weird, but do you feel like your vegan kids' poops smell as bad as omni poops? I always thought Sven's were much milder smelling, and I've actually had other people comment on it too, so I don't think it's just me!

Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next