| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Half Marathon Training Support Group
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hi,
so, I just signed up for my first half marathon (NYC, in March). I haven't run an organized race since I was a kid, but I've been running regularly for the past few years about 15-20 miles/ week. I haven't been very scientific about it, I just run.
I guess I'll need to start being more structured now.
I noticed in the general running thread a couple of other people are also half marathon training, so I figured let's start a break-out thread where we can discuss our training and fueling and stuff.

Post subject: Re: Half Marathon Training Support Group
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 am 
Saggy Butt

i am running a half next year but it's not until may, so i havent set up a training plan yet. i'll probably follow this plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm meaning i will officially start "training" at the end of february. i havent been running nearly as much as i should so i need to start building up my base like...oh, now. especially considering i have maybe a month (maybe) of decent outdoor-running weather left.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 am 

I was looking at Hal Highdon's program too, I think it's between his "intermediate" and Runner's World's beginner's program for me. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -4,00.html

I like that Hal Highdon offers the option of switching out some of the shorter runs for cross training. I'm big on yoga--I find it helps me stay flexible and injury free when running--so I don't really want to stop doing yoga while half marathon training and there are only so many days in a week.

Anyone have experience with maintaining a yoga practice while half marathon training?
Currently I do yoga 2-3 days/week and don't really want to do less. I also don't want to risk overtraining.

I've never done this before, so I'm wondering why all the programs are (to my mind) relatively short, like 10 weeks. I'd rather up the mileage more slowly, over a longer period of time. Is that bad? Anyone know?

I'm already re-shuffling my running habits (always running about 5 miles, every time I run) to running several shorter runs and one long one each week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think you would be absolutely fine increasing your mileage slowly over a longer period of time. I trained all summer for a half marathon with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, and their program was six months long. I thought it was almost TOO long - we were alternating 8 and 10 miles as the long run for a good two months.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

i think you would be fine spreading it out especially if you want to run for a good time/PR/etc/to get faster/etc. i know usually the novice plans are to get you to a point where you can *finish* the race. i havent looked at more advanced plans but i would imagine they allow for tempo runs, fartleks, hill training? all of this will only make you a stronger runner so it cant hurt. just make sure you do a bit of a taper at the end and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hooray for this thread! I'm going to run a half in May as well and also found Highdon's plan. Since I bike a LOT (125 - 150 mi/week) I'm going to have to figure out how to step that down as the training ramps up. This is hard because I bike for transportation and have no car. Still, I'm excited to work my running muscles again!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got talked into doing one in D.C. in March, but my friend had neglected to mention that a qualifying race is needed. I'm still trying to build a running base now, but do you guys know what would qualify as a qualifying race?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 pm 

AshleyUndone wrote:
I got talked into doing one in D.C. in March, but my friend had neglected to mention that a qualifying race is needed. I'm still trying to build a running base now, but do you guys know what would qualify as a qualifying race?

I don't know for the D.C. run specifically, but for the NY Road Runners races that usually means you need to run one or several of their (shorter) races to qualify. I would ask the organizers specifically.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm 

Since I started this thread I'd like to share that I decided to go with the Runners' World beginners plan.
Only I'm building mileage already. And it's kick my asparagus!
My back hurts and while the difference between the 14 or so miles/ week I was running, and the 18 or so I'm running now did not look like much on paper, let me tell you, I'm feeling it. Specifically my back and my hip flexors are feeling it.

I've decided to basically start out with the plan, running 4,4,4 and 6 ,miles/ week until I get used to that. Take an easy week every three weeks. But instead of building 1 mile/ week to the long run like they suggest I'll build more gradually over time, taking 2-3 weeks to get used to each new distance.

Makes sense to me, but if anyone has superior wisdom on this I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm training for a 1/2 now, but it's not until May. I need to take it slow because I have some injury issues so I'm following this plan first: http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge ... thon1.html, and then when that's over, starting this one: http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge ... thon2.html.

It will take me to peaking a bit in December, tapering off, and then starting again to finish up in May.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi half-marathoners! I'm training for the Illinois Half Marathon in Champaign on April 30, 2011. I trained for the same race last year and only walked a bit of it, finished, and had a lot of fun. This year my goal is to run the whole 13.1. I was part of an organized training program with my local running club last year, but this year I will probably train on my own with the same plan. I took a few weeks off over the summer and dropped my mileage quite a bit, so I'm currently working back up to a 15-18 mi weekly base and a long run of about 7 miles by the start of training in Jan. I guess you could say I'm training already.

I am also one of the crazy people who LOVE winter running! Our first training run in Jan last year was -20 degrees. We all felt so hard-core! Bring on the snow!

"It's like instead of meat I'm ingesting pure optimism!" - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh, I almost forgot to reply to monkeygirl too... I have added yoga this year, 2 - 3 times a week (1 class, 2 sessions at home). My neighbor did this last year and said the cross-training was beneficial and helped him avoid injury. I can feel a difference in my flexibility and recovery times already. Yoga and running seem to be a good combo.

"It's like instead of meat I'm ingesting pure optimism!" - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 am 

erawka wrote:
Hooray for this thread! I'm going to run a half in May as well and also found Highdon's plan. Since I bike a LOT (125 - 150 mi/week) I'm going to have to figure out how to step that down as the training ramps up. This is hard because I bike for transportation and have no car. Still, I'm excited to work my running muscles again!

i bike a lot, too-- i need to learn to turn that down while stepping up my running again. i find that i'm too fatigued to even run more than a mile right now. how are you doing it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:13 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

slightlychilly wrote:
i bike a lot, too-- i need to learn to turn that down while stepping up my running again. i find that i'm too fatigued to even run more than a mile right now. how are you doing it?

Well, my half is in May, so I'm not at the moment - just trying to keep my stamina up biking normally and running on the weekends. Boringly, though, my plan is to take the bus instead of biking a couple days a week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hi! I'm doing a half near the end of Feb. I have not started training yet, which isn't a good thing. I'm going to jump on this thread and hopefully motivate to get myself moving sooner than I have in the last few years I've done this race. I have no expertise to add, though. I've read through (and liked) Hal Higdon's method in the past, but I'm completely ad hoc about training and it's a wonder how I've not hurt myself yet. I'll be one of the ones learning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:13 pm 

luckily (or not) for me, the weather here is starting to sour...so I'll be off my bike more and more, and in the gym hitting the treadmill instead. blah. i miss biking, but i guess it's time to join the half-marathon support group, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i don't have one planned but as a runner i'm interested.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lindsayh wrote:
i am running a half next year but it's not until may, so i havent set up a training plan yet. i'll probably follow this plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm meaning i will officially start "training" at the end of february. i havent been running nearly as much as i should so i need to start building up my base like...oh, now. especially considering i have maybe a month (maybe) of decent outdoor-running weather left.

I've run a few half marathons and Chad has run a bunch and a few fulls... we always follow one of Hal's programs. They're really easy to follow. I'm planning a half in early April. He also has good programs for 10K, 15K, etc that I follow in between to keep motivated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

P.S. I wouldn't stop doing yoga. I usually do pilates 4-5 mornings, then do my running/cross in the evening. Yoga and any extra stretching will feel especially good after your long runs!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:34 pm 

I'm bummed. Made the newbie mistake of thinking I'd signed up for the NYC half-marathon in March. Turns out there's a lottery and I'm not in. But, since I've been training and have my mind set on doing a half-marathon, I'm thinking I'll either register for the Manhattan Half-Marathon on January 22, or one of the later half-marathons (there's a women's one on April 4, and then Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens, though they're all later in the spring and summer.

The January 22 half would be pushing it a bit, but I have been training since late October, so I would be able to build enough miles by then and do it. (My long run is currently 8 miles). Or, I could take it easier and do a later one.

Thoughts? Anyone done a half before and feel like they wish they'd trained longer?

Anyone run the Manhattan Half-Marathon? Any other of the New York Half-Marathon series?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If you're up to 8 miles, you'll be fine by the end of January... you could probably even run one tomorrow! Just continue adding a mile each week onto that, or two if you're feeling extra good. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:36 pm 

kdub wrote:
If you're up to 8 miles, you'll be fine by the end of January... you could probably even run one tomorrow! Just continue adding a mile each week onto that, or two if you're feeling extra good. Good Luck!

Hmmm... I am probably going to do it in January, but I haven't signed up yet as I'm a bit scared and don't feel 100 % mentally ready. My last long run was 9 miles, so you're probably right. I bet I can do it by late January. But, but... the mental leap from planning to do it in March to suddenly doing it on January 22 is daunting to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

To get myself excited, I usually just browse the event website. Read about past races, look at pictures, find out what they offer at the start/finish line.
I don't know if that helps... but I find the more I read/think about the race, the more I look forward to it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:54 pm 

OK, it's now officially on (again) I signed up for the January 22, Manhattan Half Marathon.
Eeek.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Woohoo!! That's fantastic!! You'll do great. Tell us how the training is going!