| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Editing your Wardrobe
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I definitely say go for getting rid of stuff that makes you say 'meh'... but I speak from experience, don't get rid of stuff you love just because you'll never wear it! 5-10 years later you might pine for it again! Maybe just box/vaccum-bag it up for now. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

torque wrote:
i am replying mostly just to make sure i never lose this thread.

me too!

i totally need to do this; i have a tshirt hoarding problem as well as the common too-many-clothes but don't-want-to-wear-any-of-them problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have the same problem with homemade clothes! I've gotten better with picking flattering styles and tailoring over the years, but I still have a ton of dresses that I spend weeks making and have worn maybe twice.

About five years ago, I decided it was time to purge all the clothes that I didn't ever wear. At the time, I had a huge closet, so I pushed everything to one side. Once I wore something, I would put it on the other side, and I could only pick clothes from the "hasn't been worn" side. The deal was that as soon as I went back to the "already worn" side, I had to get rid of everything left on the other side. It took about a month to do and I ended up getting rid of about 20% of my stuff. It made me re-discover a lot of cute things I'd forgotten about, plus face the facts about things I'd never fit into. Now that I think about this, it's probably time to do this again...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just did a clean out. I did it right before I had a ton of laundry to do, because if it's in the wash, I'm obviously wearing it.
I didn't have any kind of method down. Some stuff I just looked at and new I would never wear. other stuff I tried on and if it didn't look good, I put it in the bag for Salvo. I still have to go through and do another clean out, but I have a huge garbage bag for salvo and there's more room in my drawers so stuff isn't all squashed. I want to get everything to the point where I can easily see and find everything. Some stuff I was like why don't I wear this, but it's because I could never see it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I really need to do this, but I have to wait until I settle on a size. I have two completely full closets of clothing and a full dresser, I hate almost everything that actually fits me, and the clothes that don't fit are beautiful and depressing to look at.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I did a huge clear out a few years ago (after my weight had changed significantly) and one thing I found really helpful was to have someone else go through it with me. It needs to be someone you trust and who knows you well (in my case my sister), but who at the same time is prepared to be ruthless!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:20 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My dream is to have a capsule wardrobe, all on matching hangers. I also want to focus on better quality stuff and hope that the cost per wear ratio would even things out.

So far I've failed because I need to lose weight and don't really want to buy much while I'm still unhappy.

Which is a really long way of saying I'm posting to remember this thread at a later date- I especially like the list near the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I have found over the last few years that I developed a sort of 'uniform' unconsciously, and the clutter is from gifts from my mother who would like me to branch out.

Weekdays: black dress pants and a comfy top. These are inexpensive at a local chain I frequent. On Fridays, we are allowed to wear jeans. I work in a school and teach little children, so I spend most of the day sitting on the floor with them. I also have to go inside and outside a lot for recess duty. So I don't wear skirts.

Weekends: same, expect I wear black yoga pants instead of the dress pants, and throw on a hoodie or yoga sweatshirt if it's cold. I like to be comfy and I think the yoga clothes are still flattering enough that I don't look like a total slob.

Bedtime: The BF and I collect novelty t-shirts and I wear those. I have perhaps more of them than I need. For workouts, I have some shorts made out of sweatshirt material that I got many years ago. I wear that, plus whatever t-shirt I wore to bed the night before. It's going to get sweaty anyway during the workout, so between wearing it to bed and then doing my workout in it, it's ready for the laundry and I have enough of them that I don't run out.

Other: I have a few skirts I can mix and match when the occasion calls for it, and a few tops I save for those occasions. I also have a few nicer underthings since the boy likes those :)

A lot of my tops are getting worn out and in the fall I will have to buy some new ones. I also have been losing weight. So I cam hoping to upgrade the tops a little when I do my fall refresh.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've been working on this for awhile, and I have two rules. 1. If it's not perfect, do not buy it (or get rid of it). 2. A weed is a plant that grows where it's not wanted-this is kind of silly, but it reminds me that even if something is cute/fashionable/valuable/was expensive, if it's not me (no matter how badly I wish it were) and I'm not using it, I don't need to keep it!
Letting go of stuff has felt so good!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a problem with my size changing which makes this process difficult. In the past I have lost weight and got rid of clothes only to regain weight and have nothing that fits. I've also seen friends do this so I'm not making that mistake again (rebuying bigger clothes feels like the least enjoyable clothes shopping trip ever).

I lost a bit of weight a while back and, tired of pulling out stuff that didn't fit, I tried on every single item and vacuum stored the stuff that was too big. While I was losing weight I thought I would continue down that path and bought a few things that would fit nice with 3-4 pounds off but never did lose those pounds so have never worn them.

And sadly the pounds have crept back on and, depsite having a small range of sizes already in the wardrobe, I've reached the point where I have had to break out some of my proper 'fat' clothes again - but not being quite ready to vacuum pack the slimmer clothes I'm dealing with a totally stuffed wardrobe, with many clothes that are too tight (and the few I've never worn) making me feel depressed whenever I look at them. I suppose I need to go through the same process and try everything on again but I keep hoping I will feel motivated to lose the excess pounds and fit into them again - somehow putting them away feels like giving up on that, and certainly giving them away would feel like admitting I'll be this bigger size forever.

I did get rid of a whole load of 1990's clothes recently (took them to a charity shop that is known for having a vintage rail so hopefully someone will appreciate them). Some had sentimental value so I took photos of them to remind me, and the ones that still fit I took photos of me wearing them! It's something my friend did a while back with all her 1980's clothes which even though they still fit her she couldn't see herself wearing again (but now of course they are back in fashion!). I hung onto loads of coloured tights for ages before deciding they would never come back in style and giving them to my sister (who dresses in a time warp so would wear them) and a few years later they have come back in too! I kept some clothes I could foresee needing for fancy dress parties in future and I did in fact wear one of the frilly 90's shirts for a pirate party recently.

Maybe taking photos would work for those of you with home-made clothes you no longer wear?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Rentaghost, I find when my closet depresses me I am even less likely to make efforts to lose weight. I say vacuum pack those skinny clothes. And that is really a great idea which I might do myself since I really love my skinny loathes and don't want to get rid of them, but I am months, if not years, away from wearing them again (and then I am sure I won't like them anymore anyway, but whatever).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm going to do some major editing today, especially for tops. I can't fit all my tops in my dresser, but I probably wear about 10-20% of what I own on a regular basis. Time to clean out those drawers before I move.

As an aside, ever time I see the title of this thread, I read it as "eating your wardrobe".

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I cleaned out my closet yesterday (which took all day because I kept taking long breaks), and I got rid of 6 paper grocery bags full of clothes! I took it all over to goodwill today. I feel much lighter, and my closet looks so much better. I could probably have eliminated even more stuff, but I feel okay about it for now.

Of the 10 pairs of jeans I owned, only 2 of them actually still fit anymore. I guess it'll be easier to decide what to wear now.

Basically, I need to stop going to thrift stores and buying shiitake I don't need. I need to find a new hobby that does not involve acquiring more crepe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

jogirl wrote:
I did a huge clear out a few years ago (after my weight had changed significantly) and one thing I found really helpful was to have someone else go through it with me. It needs to be someone you trust and who knows you well (in my case my sister), but who at the same time is prepared to be ruthless!

Yes! I did this last weekend with my boyfriend and it was insightful what he did and didn't like. Basically I don't like to get rid of anything yet feel ambivalent about 90% of my clothes so was really nice to have someone else's input.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago, but the clothes have just been sitting in a box in my living room. I haven't wanted anything out of the box, so I think it's time to take everything to Buffalo Exchange and Goodwill. I'm nervous!

I will say, so far I really like having less clothing. Getting dressed seems to be easier, and I really don't care if I wear the same thing twice in a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I dragged a few items over to Crossroads a couple weeks ago to try to sell, and it ended up being such a waste of time. They only deemed one shirt "in style" and rejected everything else. I thought I'd taken them some pretty nice stuff, so it shows what I know about fashion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also just donated everything, because every time i take it to sell there's some kind of problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:04 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Buffalo took over $100 worth of stuff and Crossroads took $11! Ha! I still have quite a bit of stuff left. Everything else I will get rid of during our sidewalk sale and then Goodwill for anything after that!

Having less clothing made packing for a trip so much easier. Of course, I still brought 4 pairs of shoes for a 6 day vacation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i thought i was doing so well and then just now packing, realized i'm still completely and totally forked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:00 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

lepelaar wrote:
As an aside, ever time I see the title of this thread, I read it as "eating your wardrobe".

Me too.

I really appreciate this thread and need to edit badly, but my problem is that I know it's going to take awhile to get through things and just haven't had big chunks of time to do it. How are you guys doing this? Small bits when you can or all at once? I'm afraid if I do it in small bits, I'll never get through it, but if I try to do it all at once, something will come up and I'll have clothes scattered everywhere until I'm able to set time aside again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Inspired by this thread, I went through and culled a lot of the stuff I've kept back in previous purges but never find myself wanting to wear. I'm in kind of a weird spot right now though because I'm pregnant, so I won't be buying any of the replacement stuff I need for quite a while. Something to look forward to, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I used to HATE to throw away anything too worn to wear that I loved & had happy memories of but then I thought, do you have a photo of yourself wearing it? Almost without exception I did, so I tossed the beloved garment & had the photo with which to comfort myself ... not that I have ever gone through the stacks of photos but I know they are there ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yay, I went through four drawers of clothes! I didn't get rid of anything, but I did make a bag of maternity clothes and another of things that are too small. I got four super full drawers down to one and a half nicely full drawers. And I realized I really need some more clothes that fit!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

gaia13 wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Me too.

I really appreciate this thread and need to edit badly, but my problem is that I know it's going to take awhile to get through things and just haven't had big chunks of time to do it. How are you guys doing this? Small bits when you can or all at once? I'm afraid if I do it in small bits, I'll never get through it, but if I try to do it all at once, something will come up and I'll have clothes scattered everywhere until I'm able to set time aside again.

I had a manic moment and did most of it in about 30 minutes on some random Wednesday. There were a handful of things I lamented over or had to try on, but I made up my mind going into it to be decisive and ruthless.,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This thread has corrupted me. I just got rid of a bunch of dresses, only to buy a bunch of polo neck dresses from asos. At least they fit and they look awesome!