| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Housing in LA?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm moving to LA next month and am looking for housing that is pet friendly! (A 2 year old 17 lb chihuahua-dachshund)

Will be commuting to Santa Monica and will possibly have a car- but will most likely be taking the bus. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible.
So far have been looking at Culver City but am not too familiar with how traffic would factor into my commute to SM. It looks pretty close on the map- will the morning traffic be killer?
I've heard that staying west of the 405 is a good idea to avoid traffic craziness - can anyone confirm if that's true?
Anything else that I should know?

Suggestions to neighborhoods I should look at/housing opportunities that you know of would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Housing in LA?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

Welcome (almost) to LA. How far west in Santa Monica are you working?

Where you live really depends on your tolerance for traffic. Culver City is fantastic and about 20-30 minutes in traffic to Santa Monica. (I live in CC and used to work near the ocean in SM). Avoiding the 405 or the 10 during rush hour is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Driving to Santa Monica on the 405 during rush hour is a bear. I used to live in Playa Vista (a hop skip and jump from Culver City) and now live in Westchester; both are more affordable than Santa Monica. Westchester is more affordable than Culver City and a nice neighborhood IMO. It'll add a few minutes to your commute but it's still very doable. Culver City has more vegan restaurant options though. Mar Vista may be worth checking out, too.

Shortcut to Santa Monica tip: When I want to avoid the 405, I take Lincoln Ave. north, then turn right on Ozone and take 11th street the rest of the way. 11th is much less traffic-laden to Lincoln and has fewer red lights (but more stop signs). As one who isn't crazy about LA traffic, I prefer it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't know if you have a place to live already, but I'm replying just in case. I work in Santa Monica. I used to commute from Playa Vista (next to Culver City) and it could take me as long as an hour to get home during rush hour. I wound up moving to Brentwood because I couldn't take 2 plus hours in the car every day.

My recommendation for an affordable neighborhood with a doable commute to Santa Monica is the Palms. (The neighborhood, West of the 405, East of Santa Monica and North of Wilshire.) Palms has nicer and not as nice parts, but you should be able to get a sense for that by actually walking around. I used a realtor for my most recent apartment search and found that I had much better luck than using craigslist on my own. The realtor had access to listings for people renting their condos. I was able to get a bigger place for less money than the major property managers would have charged for a similarly located unit.