| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Losing my kitchen for a week and a half
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I spend like 50% of my day in my kitchen at least. Starting tomorrow it is being taking out of commission so that I can have new counters installed. The stupid too tall snack bar is being demolished and the contractor said we would not have access to our sink either. He is going to try and leave it in, but doesn't think it is possible.

So how do I feed our family of 4? Subway, Mexican, and Chinese takeout every night?

My newly vegan parents said I could come to their house and do all the cooking for all of us, and I might take them up on it. Just seems like a pain and husband works 12hr midnight shifts and doesn't want to have to drive to my parents for dinner before work.

Anyone go through this before?

We do have water in our bathroom sink so I can cook, but cleanup might be hard.

Post subject: Re: Losing my kitchen for a week and a half
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:23 am 
WRETCHED

Pretend you are camping? :)

One thing you might do is try to do a mass cooking tonight, prepping meals and freezing them but without previous grocery shopping and what not, I'm not sure if that is feasible for you.

Is there anywhere to cleanup outside? Can you get a bucket to wash dishes and what not?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yup, we remodeled our kitchen two years ago and went without for almost 3 months!! We set up the microwave and coffee maker in our office and had the fridge in the living room. Basically we lived off of Whole Foods prepared foods, lots of soup, Amy's mac and cheese, Amy's canned veggie chili, cereal, frozen burritos, veggie dogs, and some take out. The diner around the corner from us makes a good homemade veggie burger. So we relied on those a lot! If you have a toaster oven that would be handy but we didn't. Oh bagels with tofutti cream cheese was a big one too. That was pretty much breakfast every day.

This isn't really eco friendly, but we also bought paper plates and bowels and plastic silverware. I was ok with washing out the coffee pot in the bathroom sink everyday. But there was no way I was doing a full load of dishes in my tub or anything. Not for that long! And we did all the work ourselves so we were exhausted most days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Use precut veggies and make one-pot meals like chili and curry. That way you won't have to mess around cutting veggies and the cleanup will be minimal. Cooking big batches of stuff sounds like a good idea. Also, bread and hummus are your friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

provide your newly vegan parents with some easy recipes and have them cook for you a few nights? maybe not every night if it's a pain for hubby.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Crock pot! You can make all sorts of things with bags of chopped veggies, canned beans and canned tomatoes, and you can plug it in nearly anywhere. Serve with salad, breads or corn chips or whatever doesn't require another pot :)
I'd get as many meals as possible in the freezer - if you have no kitchen access would you be able to maybe set your microwave up in the living room or something?

Soup, bread, crackers, PB, hummus and bagged salad will feed just about anyone even without proper cooking facilities. Though I'd totally take your parents up on the kitchen loan at least once though. Could be a sanity saver!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

yep! camping!
if you have a BBQ you can (and i have) made most anything on it. Pizza! of course! spaghetti? once! Paninis all day long! Fire makes everything tastier.
Crock pot and one-pot meals are your friend too. If you've a rice cooker, you can make lots of things in that.
And put the kids to work. =P kids love adventure and new stuff (usually) so they may be more apt to help out and make everything go more smoothly than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Go to your parents every few days and make massive meals that not only feed everyone, but you can have leftovers, or make an extra casserole or something when you are there.

Use a crock pot for sure at home. Can prep and cook on your dining room table, and very minimal cleanup.

Buying a ton of sandwich/wrap stuff and doing that a few nights can be fun too, and good leftovers! Super easy cleanup.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

keep awesome sandwich fillings in the fridge: olives, marinated/baked tofu, tofu bacon, mayo, cut tomato and cucumber slices, shredded carrots, lettuce, tofurky slices, vegan cheese, hummus, avocado etc. And of course, PB&Js are easy too!
You can basically live off sandwiches, juice and soy yogurt for weeks without a problem.

I'd definitely try to go to your parents at least a few times - especially if you can cook a casserole and make a lasagna! Lasagna is super delicious cold. A nice lentil salad would also be perfect for keeping in the fridge.

And takeaway is always a pretty handy option :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh yeah, I do have some freezer meals so I can use those. I plan on setting up a card table and putting all my small appliances on there. I should have my stove and microwave so that is good, but we don't have a grill because we never filled the tank a year ago when we went vegan. It is now a housing unit for birds I think (same as pre-vegan days). Anyways, making big meals at my parents is a great idea and then bringing the leftovers home.

Totally need to go shopping for paper products. I have hand washed everything the last day to keep my dishwasher clear, and we use a lot of dishes.