| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462, 1463, 1464 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

joyfulgirl wrote:
I believe I heard of someone who visited a nudist commune or something for a while (was it someone on here?) and they said the custom was to carry around your own towel for sitting on.

I read an article about one and this was the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

ndpittman wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
I believe I heard of someone who visited a nudist commune or something for a while (was it someone on here?) and they said the custom was to carry around your own towel for sitting on.

I read an article about one and this was the case.

My FIL is a naturist and this is indeed the case.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Can you all please stop saying crotch juice. It's making me think of tetrapaks of the stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Item the first: I am AMAZED and SMUG at how efficiently I am grading today. 13 more essays to vacation!

Item the second: I HATE not having time to grill or toast my sammiches in the morning because when when I bite and chew, my sourdough gets stuck to the roof of my mouth and it's awful. AWFUL, I say.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

When I get lazy about making myself a kick asparagus independent woman I read things like this:

Before 1974 women were denied access to credit cards. Couldn't get credit on their own, or get a loan on their own. Any woman who wanted to use one had to use her husbands, that is, if she was married. That's just a mere 40 years ago. And the article said that it took a while before the legislation came into common practice. So even in the mid-70s women were still struggling to gain equal access to credit cards and loans. How did single women survive in the 70s? The mid-70s??? I thought those were the days of Helen Gurley Brown and Mary Tyler Moore.

I don't know who came up with the slogan, probably a man, but we have not come a long way, baby.

http://www.directlendingsolutions.com/w ... credit.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:38 pm 
Chip Strong

Peri wrote:
When I get lazy about making myself a kick asparagus independent woman I read things like this:

Before 1974 women were denied access to credit cards. Couldn't get credit on their own, or get a loan on their own. Any woman who wanted to use one had to use her husbands, that is, if she was married. That's just a mere 40 years ago. And the article said that it took a while before the legislation came into common practice. So even in the mid-70s women were still struggling to gain equal access to credit cards and loans. How did single women survive in the 70s? The mid-70s??? I thought those were the days of Helen Gurley Brown and Mary Tyler Moore.

I don't know who came up with the slogan, probably a man, but we have not come a long way, baby.

http://www.directlendingsolutions.com/w ... credit.htm

This is interesting, it was the same in Canada too. I'm sure I had learned this at one point and had forgotten.

Yes, I'm sure if Mary needed an abortion it would not have been so easy, or if Lou demanded sexual favours - what recourse would she have had.
Date rape? Don't get me started, no one would have listened back then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I think the birth control pill was finally available around that time too.

"This year the birth control pill turns 50. Most commonly know as just "the pill," the oral hormonal contraceptive was first approved by the Food and Drug Administration on May 9, 1960. It was available for sale to married women on June 23, 1960, though it took a battle with the Supreme Court to guarantee that right to all married women in 1965. That right was eventually extended to all women in another Supreme Court decision in 1972."

So the birth control wasn't available to single women until 1972.

I guess the 1970s was a good decade for women.

http://campusprogress.org/articles/50_y ... n_america/

I have a better understanding of those stereotypical mom's wanting their daughters to marry the 'right' man and training their daughters for domestic servitude.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I wanted to go to SF today (for Gracias Madre + CAS) and instead went hiking in the redwoods with a friend + to Flaco's for tacos. It was ok. Coming back was stressful, and I had forgotten our dynamic a bit. Bottom line......it was ok. But I kinda wish I'd gone to SF on my own instead. Ah, well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My best friend just gave me free rein to plan a trip to NYC in September for the two of us. He's footing the bill for hotel/hostel and a broadway show (he makes so much money it's ridiculous for a 23 year old single guy) in payment of my crazy awesome planning skills.

But I suck at finding hostels! I forgot how bad I am at this. I need to find a safe hostel in Manhattan (that's where most of our touristing and cavorting will take place since he's never been to NYC) that won't be too big of a pain to get to the subway. Or someone to stay with. Or something. I'm great at airfare, meals, activities, shows, galleries, etc., but when it comes to where to stay, I fail. I need help.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

AirBnB.com? I've heard good things about it, and am looking forward to using it on two upcoming trips.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm so stressed out. I need to learn to be one of these people who just doesn't give a fork.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

missdelaney wrote:
My best friend just gave me free rein to plan a trip to NYC in September for the two of us. He's footing the bill for hotel/hostel and a broadway show (he makes so much money it's ridiculous for a 23 year old single guy) in payment of my crazy awesome planning skills.

But I suck at finding hostels! I forgot how bad I am at this. I need to find a safe hostel in Manhattan (that's where most of our touristing and cavorting will take place since he's never been to NYC) that won't be too big of a pain to get to the subway. Or someone to stay with. Or something. I'm great at airfare, meals, activities, shows, galleries, etc., but when it comes to where to stay, I fail. I need help.

hostelworld.com, or airbnb.com (despite Airbnb recently been declared illegal for property owners..)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm so stressed out. I need to learn to be one of these people who just doesn't give a fork.

Me too!

In other news, apparently I am "judgmental" for thinking it is not okay to shoplift.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 am 
WELFARIST!

Never mind. My posts have all been downers lately. I just want this rough patch to pass and for me to move on in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

joyfulgirl wrote:
A group of my friends and I are going to a cabin in Lake George for the weekend, so I prepared a box of fun stuff to do on the road. I made my own version of this I spy type of game and there's coloring book pages (of awesome stuff like Buffy, Doctor who, unicorns), connect the dots, mazes, harry potter trivia, a cryptogram, bubble wrap, and play doh. I showed two friends last night and they were unimpressed. sigh. I may be the only one who is super excited about this.

What the fork? Your friends are FIRED. Come down and visit me with all that stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Never mind. My posts have all been downers lately. I just want this rough patch to pass and for me to move on in my life.

<3!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:53 am 
Keepin' It Seal

choirqueer wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
A group of my friends and I are going to a cabin in Lake George for the weekend, so I prepared a box of fun stuff to do on the road. I made my own version of this I spy type of game and there's coloring book pages (of awesome stuff like Buffy, Doctor who, unicorns), connect the dots, mazes, harry potter trivia, a cryptogram, bubble wrap, and play doh. I showed two friends last night and they were unimpressed. sigh. I may be the only one who is super excited about this.

What the fork? Your friends are FIRED. Come down and visit me with all that stuff!

I will definitely keep it fully stocked so it's ready for our next road trip!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 am 
Dead by dawn

I woke up to this as my "good morning" text from biker boy: When u have a minute send me the number on the inside of your crank arms. I love that guy, but he has bicycles on the brain 24/7. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Peri wrote:

Before 1974 women were denied access to credit cards.

How did single women survive in the 70s? The mid-70s??? I thought those were the days of Helen Gurley Brown and Mary Tyler Moore.

I assume that back in the 70's credit cards were not as normal as they are now. Credit cards were something for rich people and the normal public would pay cash or with a cheque.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:52 am 
Dead by dawn

Veg_Eric wrote:
Peri wrote:

How did single women survive in the 70s? The mid-70s??? I thought those were the days of Helen Gurley Brown and Mary Tyler Moore.

I assume that back in the 70's credit cards were not as normal as they are now. Credit cards were something for rich people and the normal public would pay cash or with a cheque.

And if you didn't have all the money at once, layaway was a big thing back then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Peri wrote:

There also used to be separate want ads for women. If you were single you were considered an old maid by age 24. The women you mention only came to prominence in the 70s, along with the entire second wave feminists. A lot of the freedoms we have today can be directly tied to their activism. Those were the days of Gloria Steinem, Andrea Dworkin, Shulamith Firestone, Womanhouse, Title IX, NOW, Roe v Wade, Audre Lorde, Robin Morgan, Redstockings, the Lavender Menace, Kate Millet, Our Bodies Ourselves, Ms, Billie Jean King, Susan Brownmiller, Barbara Jordan, Oregon v Rideout, and WAC. Hell yeah.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Ack! I'm an old maid!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am 
Keepin' It Seal

joyfulgirl wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

I will definitely keep it fully stocked so it's ready for our next road trip!

Okay. I'm feeling better about it. Car #1 left early this morning with a couple of friends (the couple whose engagement we're celebrating with this trip) and they were totally into the fun stuff I prepared. Especially the cryptogram:
"To celebrate Tim and Laina's engagement, we're going to Lake George. It's going to be fun as fork and we will swim and play games and toast marshmallows. Hell yes."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 am 
WELFARIST!

I really, really like being the person that my friends and acquaintances go to for various vegan recipes. Yes, it's probably because I'm the only vegan they know half the time, but it still makes me feel good that they're confident that I would have a good recipe and I like having missions. Just sent an epic email with 3 muffin recipes and recipe notes to a newly-ish vegan friend who wants to bake a ton of muffins for her church on Sunday. Fun!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Guys I'm being all Mr. Future-planning! I'm going to start off this 'setting-my-future-right' quest by getting my first car! Now I just have to wait for the right one!

Second part of that plan is a bit more complicated, I need to move out of this place I'm in, move somewhere cheaper. This place is so stagnant for me. It's the place I got with my ex husband a year ago. It's still got all the furniture we bought together to furnish it, it's still got mostly all the same shiitake on the walls I put up then, for us. The reason why it's complicated is because of timing. It's a bit late to move out now for July 1st... but I don't really feel like waiting all the way to August 1st! You think if I gave a weird halfway through the month date that would be a bit impossible for my roomies to find a replacement?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462, 1463, 1464 ... 1901  Next