| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want to make the asparagus quiche tonight, but can't find fresh tarragon. I have basil, dill, parsley and chives in the garden, cilantro in the fridge and a handful of dried herbs/spices. I read online that tarragon has a bit of a fennel flavour (I don't think I've ever used it myself, so maybe fresh parsley and a touch of ground fennel? Or maybe sweet basil would be nice? Some other hybrid?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't like tarragon very much, but I don't like fennel so that is probably why! I'm sure basil would be lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:29 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I have made it with dried tarragon as that was all I had, and it came out delicious. Not sure if it would be even better with fresh tarragon though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
I want to make the asparagus quiche tonight, but can't find fresh tarragon. I have basil, dill, parsley and chives in the garden, cilantro in the fridge and a handful of dried herbs/spices. I read online that tarragon has a bit of a fennel flavour (I don't think I've ever used it myself, so maybe fresh parsley and a touch of ground fennel? Or maybe sweet basil would be nice? Some other hybrid?

I would use basil or fennel if you want to keep the tarragon flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

And basil it is! I actually had trouble not eating the filling straight out of the food processor. Can't wait to see how the finished product is!

(It actually ended up with way too much filling so I got to eat it out of the food processor after)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:07 am 
Ninja Master

daisysunshine wrote:
baps wrote:
I made the edamame / corn salad a couple of weeks ago for a barbecue and my parents are now obsessed with it. They've asked me to make it 2 more times when we've had barbecues. I made a massive batch (doubled it) yesterday so today I have leftovers for lunch. yum.

Also I messed with the chickpea cutlet recipe. I used black beans instead of chickpeas and I swapped out the spices for a tsp each (ish) of cumin, coriander, oregano and a bit of chili powder. They were GOOD. My dad binned the leftovers by mistake and I'm so gutted, they would have gone perfectly with the avocado sitting in my kitchen right now.

but everything else is the same?
that sounds GOOD. with some avo-lemon pesto i think i might make this!

yeah, I just left out the lemon zest and garlic because I forgot the garlic and I didn't think lemon zest would go. They were yummy.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know this won't be news for most of you, but Snobby Joes are sooooo good. I are mine way too fast and am incredibly full now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I haven't yet made the snobby joe's, but that sounds like good summer fare. It shall get the official sticky note "to make" designation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I really want to make the Lemon Coconut Bundt cake but I don't have a Bundt pan, does that even matter? Has anyone made the bundt cakes in a normal cake pan? If so, what size does the pan need to be then?

My birthday is coming up in a few days and I'm thinking that's the cake I want to make...let me know what your experience has been!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

pearTree wrote:
I really want to make the Lemon Coconut Bundt cake but I don't have a Bundt pan, does that even matter? Has anyone made the bundt cakes in a normal cake pan? If so, what size does the pan need to be then?

My birthday is coming up in a few days and I'm thinking that's the cake I want to make...let me know what your experience has been!

From upthread:

creep wrote:
creep wrote:
My husband decided he wants the coconut lemon bundt cake for his birthday, but we're moving in a week and I've already packed my bundt pan. Do you guys think it's enough batter to make in a 9x13 dish instead?

If anyone else ever needs to know, the recipe as-is was plenty to fill a 9x13 dish. Baked for 30 minutes and it looks perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pearTree wrote:

That cake is so tasty! When I made it I really enjoyed it but had a lot of trouble getting it out of my bundt pan, though I blame that on the fact that it is silicone. If I make it again I will absolutely do so in a 9x13.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:37 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Just made the Potato-Kale Enchiladas with a side of homemade mango avocado salsa. Sooooo good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 am 
Nailed to the V

Tried the Pasta della California. Didn't like it. It's edible, but not worth making again. And now I want to go home and bake a coconut-lemon cake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I make the hot and sour soup for the first time yesterday (I've had the book since maybe 2007?). So good. I'm surprised I never noticed it before. Now I'm curious what else I'm missing out on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone know if the lemon bars can be made in mini tart pans?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

AmandaMelanie wrote:
I make the hot and sour soup for the first time yesterday (I've had the book since maybe 2007?). So good. I'm surprised I never noticed it before. Now I'm curious what else I'm missing out on.

Hmmm, I don't remember that recipe either! I tend to skip over soup recipes to get to more exciting (fatty) things like PIE and LASAGNA and, of course, CAKE!! I must investigate the soup situation now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

bodhi wrote:

I don't see why they couldn't. The only part that needs baking is the crust, so you could just adapt the crust baking time accordingly to make sure the smaller crusts don't burn. The top/lemon curd portion just has to set and all the cooking of it takes place on the stovetop. I wonder how easiliy they will come out of your pan though. Maybe use liners or grease the smaller tins pretty thoroughly?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is without a doubt the best vegan cookbook that I own! I've had it for about a year and a half now and everything I've cooked out of it is amazing! I've probably made at least 20 different recipes using this book and I don't have a complaint about anything. I've made the spinach and eggplant muffaletta at least half a dozen times and it's probably my favorite recipe in the book; it does make a bit of a mess, but the end result is totally worth it! I tried the Baja Tempeh Tacos for the first time a few weeks ago and this is probably my 2nd favorite recipe in the book. Speaking of which, I've got some tempeh marinating in a chili-beer mix as I type! Rounding out my top 3 'nomicon favorite are the chickpea cutlets! Wow! I can't imagine my life without this book!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
bodhi wrote:

I don't see why they couldn't. The only part that needs baking is the crust, so you could just adapt the crust baking time accordingly to make sure the smaller crusts don't burn. The top/lemon curd portion just has to set and all the cooking of it takes place on the stovetop. I wonder how easiliy they will come out of your pan though. Maybe use liners or grease the smaller tins pretty thoroughly?

Oh, great, thanks! My tins actually have a removable bottom - they're from a little French bakery from my hometown that closed shop a while back. I will still grease them though!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm wondering if I can preserve the bbq sauces....might just stick a bunch in the freezer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Between buying this for other people and replacing my copy(ies?) that I've loaned out, I'm pretty sure I've bought this thing 4-5 times now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The lemon coconut bundt cake is even better with lime zest!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
AmandaMelanie wrote:

Hmmm, I don't remember that recipe either! I tend to skip over soup recipes to get to more exciting (fatty) things like PIE and LASAGNA and, of course, CAKE!! I must investigate the soup situation now.

The soups in V'Con are rad. I love them! Especially the spicy eggplant and peanut stew. I think I've made all of them and the only one I didn't care for seems to be a fan favourite (tomato rice) so what do I know.

Now I can't wait for corn season to make the chowder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Last night I made the Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu, Mexican Millet, and Skillet Corn Bread. All of them came together really quickly, and I LOVE the corn bread. It's exactly what I've been looking for: soft crumb, slightly sweet, a little buttery. I'm still very new to using a cast iron skillet, but it worked out beautifully when I halved the recipe to fit my wee little 8" skillet.

The Mexican Millet seemed a little bland straight out of the pan, but today, cold, it's pretty good. I imagine this with some beans will make an excellent burrito.... If I can stay away from Chipotle long enough.

The Cornmeal Crusted Tofu was nice and crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, with great flavor. I had never dredged before, but the instructions were clear. Either that, or I've watch too many episodes of Diners Drive-ins and Dives. The only down side is that I had a lot of the dredge left over after battering my tofu. I didn't know what to do with the cornmeal mix and the soymilk mix, so I just tossed them. It felt really wasteful. There was enough for at least two more blocks of tofu.

Overall I'm very happy with the recipes. Trying to decide what to whip up next.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next