| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paris is not vegan hell! The official vegan France threa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

(Also, anyone going to this demonstraton against slaughterhouses?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Paris may not be vegan hell, but Biarritz on a Sunday night just might be. I actually found a Mexican restaurant here that has a bunch of vegan options -- pretty much anything you order comes with the "buffet des legumes," which includes rice and two kinds of beans that are vegan, and the chef made me some potatoes special -- they're usually made with sausage -- when I was there on Friday night -- but they're closed on Sunday, as was every single other place that I'd noticed had some vegan options. Finally ended up with pasta with super bland tomato sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Nailed to the V

So I finally went to this famous Gentle Gourmet! I had a spectacular white chocolate bavarois :) :) :) I hadnt had white chocolate desert for years and I don't think I had ever had such a gorgeous haute cuisine vegan desert at all.
Also, I had cheesecake at vegan folies but it was rather desappointing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Super long shot, but does anyone know a vegan friendly caterer in the Biarritz / Bayonne area?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

aelle wrote:
Super long shot, but does anyone know a vegan friendly caterer in the Biarritz / Bayonne area?

All I know is that the chef at Taco Mex in Biarritz is very knowledgeable about veganism and makes pretty good food. I have no idea if he does catering, though. Might be worth a shot to ask.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, my plans two years in the making to study abroad in France have come to fruition, and in a week I'm headed to Paris! Reading this has been super mega helpful. I'm going to be staying in a student/young professionals' foyer, so I'll have a kitchenette but not any cooking supplies provided. Anywhere I can get some kitchen basics cheap? (Also, since I'm not familiar with all the geography yet, any good places in the 9e arr?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

TheAmazonProject wrote:
So, my plans two years in the making to study abroad in France have come to fruition, and in a week I'm headed to Paris! Reading this has been super mega helpful. I'm going to be staying in a student/young professionals' foyer, so I'll have a kitchenette but not any cooking supplies provided. Anywhere I can get some kitchen basics cheap? (Also, since I'm not familiar with all the geography yet, any good places in the 9e arr?)

There are Monoprix stores in every neighbourhood. They're kind of like a smaller French Target. They have pots and pans and knives and such, and also groceries (and great soy yogurt!). They'll be a good place to stock up. In the 9e there's one at Metro Blanche (down the street from where I used to live!), and there are others around the district--look at their website for addresses. You can also get basic pots and pans and such at different quincailleries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 am 

Thanks so much, molasses jane! I arrived last night and already sampled some Monoprix falafel wraps - obviously not on par with fresh authentic falafel, but it was sufficient for a jetlagged and starving vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 am 

TheAmazonProject wrote:
Thanks so much, molasses jane! I arrived last night and already sampled some Monoprix falafel wraps - obviously not on par with fresh authentic falafel, but it was sufficient for a jetlagged and starving vegan.

Excellent! Bienvenue! Where in the 9th are you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:45 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm going to Paris next week, and this thread has been so helpful. I don't speak a word of French though, what am I supposed to do?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:48 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
TheAmazonProject wrote:

Excellent! Bienvenue! Where in the 9th are you?

I'm a few streets north of the Galeries Lafayette. It's a nice area! Well, every area in Paris seems to be nice.

Also, I made a pilgrimage to l'As du Falafel a few days ago on my lunch break. I expected incredible, and I wasn't disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:12 am 
Tofu Pup

aelle wrote:

Ok, this reply might not be of use to you anymore but I live close to Bayonne/Biarritz.

I don't know about vegan friendly caterers in the area as I stopped going to restaurants many years ago. However, there is a quite decent Asian supermarket called France Asia in Bayonne where you can get tofu, TVP and some useful things to cook vegan food on your own. You can google it very easily. It can be bit expensive though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for replying, and it's still useful! I think I actually know the place you are talking about and bought tofu there a couple years back.
I am getting married in the area next summer (I am French and I have family there), which is why I want a caterer. I also have done zero progress on finding one since I last posted, hah.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 am 
Tofu Pup

Right. I'm French too, born and raised in the deep South West.

I have absolutely no clue about any caterers for this kind of events in the land of foie gras. I mean, even most veg*n restaurants in Bordeaux close after a few months because they're just not that sustainable. I know there are two restaurants in Donosti that offer decent vegan food but I don't think they deal with weddings at all and they don't speak neither English nor French, only Euskara and Spanish. Not sure if that's of any help to you...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The EU is trying to make deep sea trawling illegal in its waters, and France (French agro industrial lobbies, really) is trying to prevent the law from passing. You can sign a petition here: http://petition.bloomassociation.org/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey all! I'm going to be in Paris for a week in June (yay!) and I was wondering if there were any new and exciting vegan places? This thread is super helpful and I am compiling a list for my friend and I near where she wants to go destination-wise (we're both artists so there will be hella museum visits) so we'll have options wherever the days take us.
also, where is the best coffee in paris, in your opinions? we're both big coffee nerds and will happily travel for excellent coffee, but we're staying very close to Gare Du Nord (like a 5min walk) I don't know what that neighborhood is called, but if you do and know coffee places (or any places) near there I'd love to hear about it!! thanks again, this thread is great!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:05 pm 

Hi Boober,

I'm not in Paris right now so am not sure what's new, but do make time for a pain au chocolat at Gentle Gourmet, and falafel at Maoz.

Staying by Gare du Nord means that you're right in the heart of the best Indian food in Paris. Krishna Bhavan, Saravana Bhavan, and Chennai Bhavan are all right near the train station, and you can eat enormous quantities of vegan curry and dosa very inexpensively, plus there are all the Indian groceries and sari shops.

I'm a terrible sometimes-Parisian and don't drink coffee, so can't advise you there, though my guests seem pretty happy at just about any neighborhood café. Get your coffee at the counter and stand, and it's cheaper (and more French.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am 

I'll be doing a trip around France soon. It's been a while since I've been. For those who have travelled outside of Paris to smaller towns, I was wondering how was ordering food vegan? If I go to a cafe and ask for a sandwich with just mustard and tomatoes for example, are they pretty good with that? My french is good so it's no problem communicating.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just booked a trip to Paris in September. Haven't been since I was a kid. I'm gonna trawl this thread for advice..... but firstly and most importantly.... talk to me about where I can procure some vegan croissants!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:49 pm 

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Just booked a trip to Paris in September. Haven't been since I was a kid. I'm gonna trawl this thread for advice..... but firstly and most importantly.... talk to me about where I can procure some vegan croissants!

The Gentle Gourmet in Paris has both regular and pain au chocolat.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

von m wrote:
I'll be doing a trip around France soon. It's been a while since I've been. For those who have travelled outside of Paris to smaller towns, I was wondering how was ordering food vegan? If I go to a cafe and ask for a sandwich with just mustard and tomatoes for example, are they pretty good with that? My french is good so it's no problem communicating.

I've had pretty good luck getting weird combos of things at small cafés in little towns, so as long as you can clearly ask what you want, you should be fine. Some places won't do this, but many will. I've had everything from wonderful lentil salads outside Dijon to avocado sandwiches in small town southern France.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

molasses jane wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:

Thanks, mj.

Looks as though we're only staying about a 20 minute walk from here, so I foresee breakfasts! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:23 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
von m wrote:

I've had pretty good luck getting weird combos of things at small cafés in little towns, so as long as you can clearly ask what you want, you should be fine. Some places won't do this, but many will. I've had everything from wonderful lentil salads outside Dijon to avocado sandwiches in small town southern France.

Thanks MJ. I'm back and had a great time. You're right, i didn't really have any problems at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 pm 

Disappearing Ink wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:

Thanks, mj.

Looks as though we're only staying about a 20 minute walk from here, so I foresee breakfasts! :)

Unfortunately I didn't have any luck with them. Their site claims they have take out and breakfast pastries, but the day I went they had nothing. I was really bummed. The lady said that they usually only have croissants on Sundays with brunch.
I did find a croissant in one of the outdoor markets made with vegetable oil instead of butter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

aelle wrote:

Coming back to this: I hired this personal chef: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laure-en-Cuisine/255818534501591?sk=info and she did a fantastic job. All of our wedding guests loved the food. Her business is not veg, but she apparently gets a lot of demand for vegetarian and vegan dinners - in the middle of foie gras country, who would have thought!

And for Paris, I found this interactive map of businesses with vegan dishes: http://www.vegan-mafia.com/ . At the top you can select pins for eating, snacks or drinks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next