| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: festival food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm going to a music festival next weekend and I'll be essentially camping. The place said they would have some vegan food options but I'm wary of prices/variety and such. The roomie and I are kind of inexperienced with this and we're not sure how we're going to eat tasty vegan food that will keep for three days. We could get a cooler but I'm not sure ice refills will be an option.

So far I'm thinking canned stuff, rice crackers, individually portioned almond butters, dried nuts/snacks, maybe bananas? Beyond that I'm kind of stumped.

Anyone have experience with this?

Post subject: Re: festival food
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Will you have the capacity to cook - camp stove, small pot, etc? If so, you can do canned soups, noodles (ramen is good for camping very quick cooking), rice and beans (quick cook rice plus dried spices and canned beans), and any dehydrated soups and meals that just need boiled water. You can get pretty good vegan dehydrated meals at camping stores, but they tend to be super salty because they're really for sweaty hikers. You can get individual sized asceptic packaged plant milks and have cereal for breakfast. Pb&j is also always a camping winner and none of its components need refrigeration.

We only do hiking camping trips rather than "car camping", but we would pack the following for a couple day trip:
As much water as we can carry plus water disinfecting stuff for water we my collect along the way, a loaf or two of bread, a jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly, bag of oranges, individually portioned bags of trail mix, individual packages of instant oatmeal, instant coffee and tea bags (and sugar if you want - steal packets from somewhere), a dehydrated camping meal per person for each person, electrolyte powder to put in our water bottles just in case. I would also bring something sweet if you have a sweet tooth, it's nice to have a treat.

Which festival are you going to?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Festivals that I've been to (especially big camping ones) usually have a ton of options. I went to a three-day festival last year (although I only actually went for one day because I didn't care about the others) and took a bunch of Larabars but I didn't need any of them. I spent like half the day eating and could easily have gone three days without repeating too many meals or getting bored.

Honestly, I would probably just take some cereal and mini milk things for breakfasts, a bunch of bars of some sort, and some nuts and fruit (to keep at your campsite- some places might not let you take fruit in) and leave it at that. Even if the options suck you can probably still get potatoes or something. And there are worse things than eating potatoes for three days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm assuming you're going for things that don't need heat? If you can bring a little camp stove, you'll have tons of options.

You don't need to individual portion nut butter! Just bring a jar; it'll stay good so long as you seal it up well when you're done with it. One of my last festivals, I practically lived off crackers with peanut butter and jam from jars.

Lots of fruits and veggies will keep all right for a couple days. Carrots, oranges, apples. Dried fruit, too. If I were bringing a car in, I'd be all over caned tomato/v8 juice and fruit juice boxes.

Soy milk powder with granola, perhaps. Oatmeal, for overnight soaking. Make some kind of raw or baked energy cookies or balls or bars or something.

I've heard of dry hummus mix. It sounds kind of terrible but if for some reason it isn't actually terrible it would be super convenient. May be worth the risk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, take gumboots. Even if you don't think you'll need them. You will probably need them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:49 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks guys!! Yeah I was thinking stuff like peanutbutter and banana sandwiches would be sweet. I'm also fully prepared to eat cold soup from a can. It sounds like there will be vegan options but I can't drop too much money while I'm there. Although I'll probably splurge on green juice for detoxing purposes.

Probably not going to have heat; it's something we're considering though. But honestly I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on getting supplies to cook with either, I could see that getting priceyish compared to just buying food there as well.

I'm guessing gumboots are rainboots? Def need to get those.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

If you are bringing a coooler get some dry ice to toss in *under* the water ice, it will keep all the water ice frozen for > 3 days, and everything nice and cool. I've not refrigerated hummus for like a week and never got sick, as long as it's not baking in the sun you should be fine. :) goes great with pita breads and Sriracha.
Seaweed snacks are my favorite festi snack, especially if it will be hot out.
Peanut butter is another good energy-packed thing that doesn't need to be frozen.
Tasty bites can be warmed up on your car dash if it is parked in the right direction and is sunny (point your car's hood south).
cereal and soymilk are great and easy. granola makes great cereal. You can use those little juice box soymilks they sell some places if you are worried about cold.
Jooce.

also I've brought extra of (X ultra-delicious thing that was on insane sale) and used it to trade with other campsites around. Totally increases your options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I would bring fruit that doesn't need to be refrigerated, like banana's and apples. bread, some sort of nut butter and jelly. Lots of water. I would bake cookies and bring those, or maybe fig bars, or both. Brownies. if I had a cooler I would make a salad, and bring a bottle of salad dressing. Gazpacho, if your going to be eating cold soup, do it up. Hummus, carrot sticks. Dried fruit, nuts. tortilla chips and jarred black bean dip or salsa.
BEER!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 am 
Huffs Nooch

Beer! But if you don't have a cooler, not beer. Hot sun beer is sort of gross.

Boxed red wine is my camping staple.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

But if you can keep unrefrigerated beer out of the sun, all you need is a plastic bag, ice and some salt to have ice cold beer in 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm a little intimidated by dry ice. It will really keep stuff cold 3+ days? Is it drunk person friendly? Dry ice means I can bring hummus?? This opens up a whole new world... /resists singing the song

Oh my gosh box of wine!

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

here's what you need:
FESTIVAL BREAKFAST:
-some shelf stable juice.
-toast.
-3-4 cans of bakes beans.
-nut butter.
-a few bananas.
RANDOM FESTIVAL SNACKS:
-some carrots.
-raisins/other dried fruits.
-canned chickpeas (trust me, drunk you will love them!)
-crackers.
-nuts.
-chips.
FESTIVAL TORTILLAS:
-shelf stable tortillas.
-can of corn.
-shelf stable salsa.
-baked beans/chili beans in a can.
FESTIVAL SOUP:
-can of soup.
-toast.
FESTIVAL SANDWHICH:
-avocado
-tomatoes (they keep very well at room temp)
-jar of olives
-toast

This way, you'll have toast with pb&banana and a can of cold baked beans for breakfast and you can snack whenever you're at your tent during the day/keep some stuff in your bag, and then you will be able to make at least 3 delicious meals as well. And you can totally buy this stuff with your roommate as well - the sizes these things come in are usually more than enough for two people for 3 days AND it will save you a lot of money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I forgot - you can buy LOADS of canned fried tofu and mock duck and stuff like that in cans in asian supermarkets. totally amazing for sandwiches or for mixing with bakes beans or eating in your festival tortilla. they usually have single serving containers of soymilk as well.

and don't forget granola bars!