| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Have you tried any other store brand milks? I know there isn't a Hannaford there but they make one of my favorite milks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Have you tried the unsweetened coconut-almond mix one? That's one of the few I find drinkable. The blend makes it not taste too much like either almonds or coconut, it's not super sweet or obnoxiously vanilla/chocolate/whatever, doesn't have that bean taste, the texture and color are innocuous to me.. I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

annak wrote:
Have you tried the unsweetened coconut-almond mix one? That's one of the few I find drinkable. The blend makes it not taste too much like either almonds or coconut, it's not super sweet or obnoxiously vanilla/chocolate/whatever, doesn't have that bean taste, the texture and color are innocuous to me.. I like it.

I love that one. The texture is pleasant and it's great for baking and smoothies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
annak wrote:

I love that one. The texture is pleasant and it's great for baking and smoothies.

I'll give it a try! Is there a certain brand?

Thanks, Mr. Shankly! I wish I could get to a Hannaford's. I used to fill in on their magazine, so I picture it as this beautiful food paradise. Maybe says more to th art directors that I worked with though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm going to make a delicious MSG and carrangeenan smoothie and toast to vegans everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

^ ha!

My brother's girlfriend saying "Nutritional yeast is basically just msg!"

No. Go away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:21 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I can't remember if anyone's already posted this one but: I am so sick of the argument that being vegan and pro-choice is contradictory. WHAT?! No! That's not how it works!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vijita wrote:
I'm going to make a delicious MSG and carrangeenan smoothie and toast to vegans everywhere.

I really like MSG. There's some kind of seasoning that Wilson would use that had it, and it was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Also a huge MSG fan. My chik'n broth powder includes it and it's so yummy. We also won a pound bag of MSG at some silly trivia night and actually occasionally remember to use it in stir-fries - it is way good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

choirqueer wrote:
I can't remember if anyone's already posted this one but: I am so sick of the argument that being vegan and pro-choice is contradictory. WHAT?! No! That's not how it works!

Is the corollary of their argument that all pro-life people should be vegan? When I was in jr high, we dissected fetal pigs. (This is actually one of the things that turned me vegetarian--the nauseating smell of an embalmed dead pig fetus. But that's another can of dessert spaghetti.) Before we were given our pig feti, the teacher gave us a big speech on how these were not ABORTED piglets. They were instances where the mother was slaughtered before anyone knew she had been pregnant, and so this was natural and ok and unintentional.

I mean, if you'd just taken a pregnant sow and given her a piglet abortion, that would be WRONG, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Indeed. From what I hear, fetal pigs are becoming really expensive because it is so rare now that a sow is slaughtered without them knowing she's pregnant (in which case they would wait I suppose). I would not be surprised if pig abortion became a thing, although I think (hope) most schools are phasing out fetal pig dissection anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think the whole vegan and pro-choice is contradictory argument is a stupid load of bull. Pro-choice means you support a woman's right to choose what she does with her body and her life. It's not asking for you to take a stance on if abortion is right or wrong. That is something we let each woman decide privately for herself, hence the choice.
As for being pro-life, pro-lifers aren't pro-life, because they also tend to be against healthcare, social security, yadda yadda, every government program aimed at improving people's quality of life. What they really are is anti-choice and anti-woman, because they seek to take away a woman's right to make her own decisions. They just use the term "pro-life" to make their anti-woman views seem nicer.
But yea, way to take two things that have nothing to do with each other and come up with a stupid argument aimed at putting down people for the sake of putting them down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Alaina wrote:
I think the whole vegan and pro-choice is contradictory argument is a stupid load of bull. Pro-choice means you support a woman's right to choose what she does with her body and her life. It's not asking for you to take a stance on if abortion is right or wrong. That is something we let each woman decide privately for herself, hence the choice.
As for being pro-life, pro-lifers aren't pro-life, because they also tend to be against healthcare, social security, yadda yadda, every government program aimed at improving people's quality of life. What they really are is anti-choice and anti-woman, because they seek to take away a woman's right to make her own decisions. They just use the term "pro-life" to make their anti-woman views seem nicer.
But yea, way to take two things that have nothing to do with each other and come up with a stupid argument aimed at putting down people for the sake of putting them down.

Honestly, every single person I have ever known who is against abortions are not "anti-choice" or "anti-woman" and I think using terms like that is really judgmental. You can support woman's rights, and healthcare and government programs, ect. and STILL be morally opposed to abortions.They don't automatically go hand in hand. The comment that started this conversation was that just because you're vegan does not make you pro-life, why doesn't this apply to other opinions/choices as well?

Anyway, this thread is getting way off topic. Back to vegan pet peeves:

A (non-veg) running blogger I follow posted about going to Veggie Grill and loving it, and at the end of her post she asked if any of her readers were veg*n. Suprise, suprise, this led to tons of comments saying, "I was veg for X years, but then I got sick and started eating meat and felt SO much better! I will never stop eating meat again!" Gah, I need to learn to not read the comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Simply_Love wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Honestly, every single person I have ever known who is against abortions are not "anti-choice" or "anti-woman" and I think using terms like that is really judgmental. You can support woman's rights, and healthcare and government programs, ect. and STILL be morally opposed to abortions.They don't automatically go hand in hand. The comment that started this conversation was that just because you're vegan does not make you pro-life, why doesn't this apply to other opinions/choices as well?

Anyway, this thread is getting way off topic. Back to vegan pet peeves:

A (non-veg) running blogger I follow posted about going to Veggie Grill and loving it, and at the end of her post she asked if any of her readers were veg*n. Suprise, suprise, this led to tons of comments saying, "I was veg for X years, but then I got sick and started eating meat and felt SO much better! I will never stop eating meat again!" Gah, I need to learn to not read the comments.

First of all pro-choice means supporting a woman's life to choose, and pro-life doesn't. These are political stances on a woman's right to choose. The issue is not about what people find morally wrong or right, it's about choice. A person finds abortion morally wrong but still supports a pro-choice stance, is not anti-woman or anti-choice, because they support the right to choose. Pro-lifers are anti-choice, hence anti-woman. It's about a stance on the right to choose, not ones morals. When you bring morals into the abortion debate you have missed the entire debate and sidetracked it into someplace it shouldn't go. It's not judgmental to call someone who is pro-life anti-choice, because pro-life is a political stance that seeks to take choice away from women. That is what pro-life means: no choice for women. No choice for women is an anti-woman agenda. if you identify yourself yourself as pro-life but still support a woman's right to choose, you are pro-choice, because your moral stance on the matter if abortion being right or wrong is irrelevant, it's the support or non-support of a woman's right to choose. Pro-life and anti-choice are the exact same political stance.
But way to say oh your being judgmental lets get off topic and dismiss people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

So there's a feminism thread where we talk about pro-life and stuff like that.......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
Indeed. From what I hear, fetal pigs are becoming really expensive because it is so rare now that a sow is slaughtered without them knowing she's pregnant (in which case they would wait I suppose). I would not be surprised if pig abortion became a thing, although I think (hope) most schools are phasing out fetal pig dissection anyway.

I really hope my daughter never has to do this! Dissections were the worst in jr high/hs. I understand that it can be done in an educational way, perhaps.. I am not against medical or veterinary track students doing dissections.. But I really don't think it adds much value to a jr high curriculum.

(Now, when we dissected a senseo coffee maker in my applied environmental design class on the other hand, that was amazing. (the other groups got vacuum cleaners, tvs, etc.. the idea was to take it apart, figure out how it worked, take measurements on it, and improve it) Best dissection EVER. I am, at heart, an inanimate object nerd)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Mr. Shankly wrote:
So there's a feminism thread where we talk about pro-life and stuff like that.......

Yes guys, please take the pro-life vs. anti-choice argument someplace else!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

In my upper middle class high school dissections were only done in a senior optional science class (i.e. I was taking a second science class). So that felt to me like it was already on the way out in a place that didn't skimp on materials or lab time.

I threw up and did the whole month long project by virtual dissection.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

annak wrote:
When I was in jr high, we dissected fetal pigs. (This is actually one of the things that turned me vegetarian--the nauseating smell of an embalmed dead pig fetus.

Me too! I actually did the initial dissection, but we had to leave them out all night and came back the next day to finish the lab. I walked in the room, turned around, and ran into the bathroom to puke. I got to finish the lab by watching a video on human reproduction instead. (Obviously whatever we were learning wasn't even that important since I didn't even have to do a similar assignment as a replacement!!)

I actually have a lot of animal-related trauma thanks to my school system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

In high school they wanted us to dissect an Earth worm and a frog. I told them I wouldn't because I was a vegan and after asking, "Even an earth worm?" they were like, "Oh okay. It's up to you to do research on this subject, then, and you still need to fill out the lab so that it's at the same level as everyone else's." I got the highest grade in the class on that assignment.

The whole idea is stupid. A video, virtual dissection or artificial model dissection would work just as well, if not, better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
In my upper middle class high school dissections were only done in a senior optional science class (i.e. I was taking a second science class). So that felt to me like it was already on the way out in a place that didn't skimp on materials or lab time.

I threw up and did the whole month long project by virtual dissection.

We did a frog and fetal pig in Jr high, and another frog in freshman year bio.

Sophomore year I started at a different (3 year) high school, where the only bio class I took was microbiology. This involved much more interesting labs, like gram stains and actual stuff that I learned from. I learned *nothing* from the frogs and pig. I'm not sure anyone else did either. It was pretty much a total waste.

I guess bringing this back to pet peeves, I think these dissections turn a lot of people off of classes they might otherwise take. My sister didn't take AP bio because at her school it meant a cat dissection.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:47 pm 
WRETCHED

I took anatomy & physiology in high school which had cat dissection. They did have alternate assignments though for those that didn't want to dissect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I took ap bio and I can't even imagine how a dissection would add to that curriculum. There was so much other stuff to cram in I don't know why they would waste time with dissection, which is basically the slowest possible way to learn anatomy. My high school dissection was in an anatomy and physiology class, so there was at least some curricular sense to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

(warning: mention of sad animal death) My boyfriend's sister and BIL got a new duck for her toddler to play with. The last one died after running into something and breaking her neck. I really, really hope it dawns on them that animals are not playthings. I can't imagine that the poor creature is very happy in a random yard with a German shepherd, a grabby kid, and no pond or duck family.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

"a new duck for her toddler to play with"?

a NEW duck for her toddler to play with?
a new DUCK for her toddler to play with?
a new duck for her TODDLER to play with?
a new duck for her toddler to PLAY WITH?

There, now I have expressed my incredulity at each individual detail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240 ... 512  Next