| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Yum Yum
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:02 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I had been a long-time reader of Lauren Ulm's blog of the same name, so was pretty stoked when I got this book a handful of months ago. I'm gonna put my list of Pros and Cons, and some of the recipes I've adored and ones I had to throw away (sadface).

Overall, this is a beautiful book with some pretty awesome takes on old-standbyes (tofu scramble) and some recipes I've never seen before (Miniature Napoleans with Eggplant Creme). This book provides some FANTASTIC recipes for surprising the wary meateater with nom oms that they -gasp- enjoy, and great if you are hosting a party with a mixed crowd of eaters, in part because she is quite liberal with fats and sugars and thus, not all of these are the healthiest recipes on the planet.

Pro
-Each recipe has a picture, and some of the more difficult instructions show picture step-by-step images.
- Many of the savory recipes that require what COULD be a lot of fat to make is successfully cut down with no bad results to the dish.
-Some weird ingredients. However, if they can be found, provide a good outlet for the palate to experience a new flavor AND a good reason to pick up that weird looking fruit/veggie at the Farmer's Market.
-A good balance of recipes that use tofu/seitan and recipes that don't. And no Cheeze! Makes me happy.
- Full Disclosure: I don't tend to be a fan of seitan. Period. However... two recipes in this book have changed my mind and opened me up to it.

Con
-She has some recipes that call for the VitaMix (!!!). Haven't tried these yet, as I'm not sure if my blender is up to snuff.
-Some weird ingredients (Delicata squash?), as she is part of a CSA. HOWEVER: Easy to find subs.
-The binding of the book doesn't allow for easy use in the kitchen, as the book doesn't like to stay open. I think I've finally gotten the binding lose, enough so that a simple weight does the trick to keep it open.
-Again, not the healthiest of cookbooks...but meh, I end up cutting the oil/fat.

Recipes I Adore and/or Have Become Staples
-Tofu Scramble of Seitan Sausage (Make this whenever I have a meateating couchsurfer OR a slightly hungover friend at my place in the AM)
-Chipotle Basil Corn Chowder (One of the best tasting chowders. Ever. Added more chipotle and adobo sauce. My non-veg-friendly family LOVED this)
-Sweet Chili Lime Tofu (My FAVORITE on top of quinoa or millet)
-Sesame Ginger Seitan Dumplings
-Apple Cider Brussel Sprouts
-Crispy Sesame Kale
-Smoky Miso Tofu Sandwiches
-Roasted Eggplant and Caramelized Onion Marinara.
-Lemon Cranberry Muffins

Recipes I Didn't Like
-Hurry Up Alfredo (This may have been a VitaMix recipe, so it could have change the end product...but, to be honest, it was disgusting.)
-Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup. (Texture issue for me. Taste was alright)

Post subject: Re: Vegan Yum Yum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

imaluckyducky wrote:
Recipes I Didn't Like
-Hurry Up Alfredo (This may have been a VitaMix recipe, so it could have change the end product...but, to be honest, it was disgusting.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this. I made it when I first saw it on the blog and it was horrible and made so much that my food processor overflowed with the stuff. This was pretty much the reason I haven't bought the book. Her pancake recipe is my go-to though, so maybe I should give it a try.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Delicata squash is weird?
i thought those were pretty standard when it comes to winter squash varieties you'd find at the grocery store.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:23 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm so glad the original poster started this thread. I recently bought this book and was wondering where to start. Now I know -- with the Chipotle Basil Corn Chowder!

Any other favorites from anyone else?

---------------------------------------------------------
Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simply
yesterday's nut that held its ground...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Memories....ah, the good old days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I sort of think this thread should be locked before it gets started.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:58 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

QueenV wrote:
I sort of think this thread should be locked before it gets started.

if no one starts, then it won't get started. maybe we can give that a try this time!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

...Sorry, didn't realize that there is a history or whatever to the topic. Just found the boards a week ago. >.>

Meh, not all supermarkets are created equal. I rarely found Delicata squash, much less other "common" veggies and fruits, at the market where I used to live (around my parents), and the folks refused to step foot in a Walmart, which was much larger. And it wasn't something my parents would grow in their gardens. When I moved to where I am now was the first time I could get my hands on other squashes, among other nifty veggies and fruits and leafy greens (Kohlrabi? Awesome. Kale? Yay! Seaweed? Excellent.). Heck, the numerous cookbooks I own, only two have mentioned Delicata squash, so maybe it's my own lack of exposure to all things squash-like and awesome. It's just a matter of perspective, I think. C'est la vie. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't have the cookbook, but I make the Hurry Up Alfredo recipe all the time, I just don't follow her directions exactly. I blend everything in the food processor, and then put it in a bowl, add the soy milk, and then use a hand mixer or immersion blender. Also, I don't use as much garlic (she doesn't cook with garlic- maybe that's why she says to add so much?) and I omit the nutmeg. It's more like a sweet smoked paprika sauce, and almost nothing like alfredo, but I really like using it in baked pasta dishes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Just made the gnocchi for the first time! Loved having all the photos to refer to. I didn't make the accompanying source, but seeing as I've seriously f'ed up gnocchi in the past, Lauren's recipe is tops : )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:25 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I like a lot of recipes in this book. The Italian rice and beans is great and fast to make, I save it for busy work days. Her pad thai recipes is my favorite. It calls for seitan, but I sub in tofu and it's just as good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

VeganGeorgie wrote:
Just made the gnocchi for the first time! Loved having all the photos to refer to. I didn't make the accompanying source, but seeing as I've seriously f'ed up gnocchi in the past, Lauren's recipe is tops : )

Funnily enough, out of all the gnocchi recipes I've ever made, this is the only one that didn't work for me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

ignoring what transpired in the old thread, i honestly can't get past the black cover.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I haven't make that much from this book, but the red and white cauliflower bake is fantastic. Time consuming, but worth it. I also like the artichoke chickpea salad, smoky miso tofu sandwiches and lime peanut noodles with seitan and kale. I thought the hurry up alfredo was awful to the point of being inedible. For some reason, every gnocchi recipe I've ever tried has been a fail (I know it's supposed to be easy!), so I haven't attempted this one yet.

The layout and photographs are beautiful but it annoys me when recipes aren't all on one or two pages and I have to flip back and forth during cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:18 am 
Saggy Butt

Efcliz wrote:
VeganGeorgie wrote:

Funnily enough, out of all the gnocchi recipes I've ever made, this is the only one that didn't work for me.

Likewise. And I always make it off the top of my head nowdays and it works better.Her recipe just fell apart.
Nontheless...-runs away in anticipation-

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 am 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
Erinnerung wrote:
imaluckyducky wrote:
Recipes I Didn't Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this. I made it when I first saw it on the blog and it was horrible and made so much that my food processor overflowed with the stuff. This was pretty much the reason I haven't bought the book. Her pancake recipe is my go-to though, so maybe I should give it a try.

man we LOVE the hurry up alfredo in my house. and the black bean & coconut milk soup. and the weekend pancakes. and the mac and cheese. oh and the tahini noodles. i probably make something from this cookbook once a week, i used the chili lime sauce from the chili lime tofu last night with some canned mock duck, delish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Strange, we love the the alfredo sauce!
All the rice and bean recipes are good and the broccoli dal soup. Sweet potato and kale pasta bake.

It's a vegan cookbook and should be allowed in discussion as such, regardless of who wrote it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:41 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

ok, guys, this thread is full of the cryptic. What's the story?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Long story much condensed- the author had a generous publishing deal with friend of the ppk Herbivore but then backed out at the very last second, after Josh from Herbivore went way out of pocket (and did all the design). She was naive about publishing and thought she could get a better deal. Then she refused to take responsibility for her actions. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

yeah. that's the story. thanks for the shortened version, vegitmator.

so now, let's just keep this thread about the cookbook only, please!

and just in general, if someone posts a thread like this and you don't like it, report it! don't make snarky comments. not everyone knows about all past drama that has come about on the ppk and it's really not necessary to bring it up for no good reason.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't know if it's in the book, but the BLT salad or whatever from the blog was gah-ross. Don't try it. It sounds like a great idea but is not good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

One of my friends has the cookbook, and there do appear to be some yummy recipes in there. I think she tried to make the donuts, and had no luck. But I think everything else she tried she loved. I was gonna buy it myself, but I was afraid to spend money on a book that didn't look like it would hold up in the kitchen... (I want lots of pictures and a sturdy binding, dangit!)

I used to love the blog (pancake recipe! kuchen!), but it hasn't been updated in almost a year!? What the fork?!

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This is the first vegan cookbook I got and I like it! I haven't made many of the recipes, but I have made
the Horchata(this turned out great! a little time consuming to make, but everyone loved it at the family get together I took it to)
Apple Cider Brussel Sprout(this really is uberly yummy, although I think I'm going to try it with less Earth Balance)
Lemon Cashew Cream(this is used in the gnocchi recipe, but I wanted something different and fast for my pasta one night and this worked well)
Potato and Leek soup(I used store bought vegetable broth, but this soup is super yummy. Try it with chunks of potatoes)

Some recipes I would like to try from this is the Baked Mac n' Cheese, Blueberry Waffles, Moroccan Spiced Root Vegetable Home Fries, and Banana Bread made with Spelt. Of course there are more, but that's just a few.

I'm also sad to hear that the alfredo sauce didn't turn out for a few of you. I think I would still like to try it to figure out what I think of it though.

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Still waiting on my testers copy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I just made the stuffed delicata squash and didn't like it. It should be mentioned that I used israeli cous cous instead of regular - that may have mattered a tiny bit.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next