| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tried Motogymkahana for the first time today. Just a course on an old airfield no timed or anything. I think I am going to like it a lot. I need to improve my lines and such, but I didn't do too badly for my first time. Finished there and then ripped apart my DR650 to put in new valve guide seals and a high compression piston.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

RichBeBe wrote:
Tried Motogymkahana for the first time today.

That looks fun! I'm pretty sure I'd be terrible at it on my bike, but I can see it being awesome with a lighter bike.

It's starting to get too hot for me to ride. I'm crossing my fingers that next weekend and the first week of July will be super nice since I'll have lots of time to ride before I travel!

Edit: Yes, I realize I'm a wuss in the heat. I LOVE cold weather and rarely get cold. Once it's hot out, I'm miserable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Reporting back on my garage situation!

I've decided to try to always park on the 2nd level (the lowest we can park on) to minimize ramp driving. That helps quite a bit to avoid minivans and crazy drivers on the ramps.

And I got one of the springy cords that Moon recommended for my rfid tag... it made getting in and out of the garage SO much easier! No more dropping my keys and being forked over by the door! Next time, when I stop to get my springy cord out to go into the garage I need to remember to take of my sunglasses. There is a nice place for me to pull over going in and out to put the thing on my wrist or take it off. Yay, I will not be defeated by this stupid garage! Moon, brilliant idea, thanks!

I'm still looking into selling my V-Star 650 and getting a Suzuki Savage s40 (still 650cc but smaller and less power). I think that it will help having a slightly lighter bike too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Congrats Pi and Fupapack for your garage successes!
(I would've replied sooner, but hadn't subscribe to this topic yet, so i didn't get a message that someone had posted.)

I have sort of a mild garage rant = I live in an apartment as well,
And I just have to stop and get off the bike and unlock the door with a key.
No ramp, so not that big of a pain!
Anyway, happy hump day!
Hope your week is going well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I bought an extra motorcycle yesterday cause I decided to participate in the Motorgymkhana competition that will be held this year.

I expect to fall and damage my motorcycle, so it seemed logical to buy a bike for spare parts.
Found the exact same model and colour for a reasonable price and though the "parts bike" needs some attention it feels like it's running better than the bike that has already had some abuse during motorgymkhana.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:30 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Veg_Eric wrote:
I bought an extra motorcycle yesterday cause I decided to participate in the Motorgymkhana competition that will be held this year.

I expect to fall and damage my motorcycle, so it seemed logical to buy a bike for spare parts.
Found the exact same model and colour for a reasonable price and though the "parts bike" needs some attention it feels like it's running better than the bike that has already had some abuse during motorgymkhana.

Congrats on the twins!
I am looking forward to some more Motogymkhana this year and may do some Superbowl Motogymkhana tomorrow morning if I do not go rock climbing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's exciting V_E. I hope we get photos.

I have to sell my bike next month.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm so sorry to hear that lavawitch.

I've decided that I definitely do not want a cruiser. I will sell my Yamaha V-Star and get something else this spring/summer. I don't now what yet, but I have some ideas.

Right now, I'm traveling around S America on a 2011 Honda 150CBR. Started 5 months and 12000 km ago! A bit slow at times, but we are moving along. It is a Colombia registered bike (bought there and is in my name) and I am heading south in Argentina now. He is a great bike, except he keeps losing screws and bolts on the dirt roads! I will totally be traveling more by moto after this... but next time something a bit larger than 150cc... 400cc would be perfect for me here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:37 pm 
A Bad Person

It's the first decent day of the year weatherwise, and I'm back on two wheels. All is right with the world.

(Okay, maybe not the first, and definitely not my first riding day of the year, but it's still ridiculously nice out! I'm the only person who rode to work today, judging by the lack of bikes in motorcycle parking in the garage.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I went for a ride to the coast (15 minutes away, I'm in CA) and it took 50 minutes in traffic because of the single lane and gawkers. Oh well, got to practice clutch and throttle control on twisties :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm back in the USA and just got my bike (Yamaha VStar 650) out. Good hell... he is fat and heavy and low! It was awesome to have 650cc of power instead of 150cc. Of course, I'm going to sell him and try to get a 1980s Honda Nighthawk 450. I think that will be a good power vs size/weight compromise for me! But it was SO good to ride today!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:29 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I got a new moto yesterday!! 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 with only 12,300 miles on him. He doesn't have a name yet, but I've had lots of (terrible) suggestions from friends.

I think I will have a lot of fun on this bike... I'm hoping to ride at least to Kansas and back, but maybe a lot farther this summer!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 am 

That's awesome Pi! Looks like it is in great shape!

I don't have any name suggestions at the moment. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:32 pm 

Pi. wrote:
I got a new moto yesterday!! 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 with only 12,300 miles on him. He doesn't have a name yet, but I've had lots of (terrible) suggestions from friends.

I think I will have a lot of fun on this bike... I'm hoping to ride at least to Kansas and back, but maybe a lot farther this summer!

Nice looking bike!

If didn't do many miles, you should probably check how old the tyres are. There should be a code on one of the walls of the tyre which will tell you week and year of production.
If that is more than 4-5 years ago, than it could be wise to get new tyres before you do a long journey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:48 pm 

I signed up for the Moto Gymkhana competition in my country and yesterday was the first competition day.

The 2nd heat was good enough for 5th place (out of 13 competitors) but it was very intense to ride in a competition setting. I'm happy I managed to do relatively good and that I could remember the course cause that was my biggest fear. http://youtu.be/_zDfRbkP52I

It doesn't look as intense as it feels, but when I finished that run my legs were shaking from all the adrenaline...

I installed crash bars / engine guards the day before and that takes some time to get used to. I don't know yet when they will touch the tarmac and when they do it feels a bit different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I hit some loose stuff and low-sided at 30 mph or so few months ago. For the most part my vegan gear held up pretty well.

The vegan SIDI fusion boots performed great, I highly recommend them. I had the Kevlar motoport racing gloves on -- they protected my hands but ripped open, at the seam...I'm not sure I can recommend them and sadly don't think I'll replace them, I thought they were the top Vegan option for the gloves, so I'm pretty disappointed about that. Had a mesh Olympia mesh textile jacket, protected fine, but ripped open. I was wearing some hard plastic knee/shin armor under jeans which really saved me, they were grinded down a bit at the knee, don't think I'd have walked away from the accident without them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Veg_Eric wrote:
If didn't do many miles, you should probably check how old the tyres are. There should be a code on one of the walls of the tyre which will tell you week and year of production.
If that is more than 4-5 years ago, than it could be wise to get new tyres before you do a long journey.

I'll check that out... thanks for the tip!

Gunnar Handsome wrote:
I hit some loose stuff and low-sided at 30 mph or so few months ago. For the most part my vegan gear held up pretty well.

Eek! Sounds like you came out of it okay. Glad you were wearing gear... and I'm using this as a reminder to wear mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Pi. wrote:

Awesome, perfect road trip bike. Some soft luggage and travel wherever, whenever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Gunnar Handsome wrote:

The vegan SIDI fusion boots performed great, I highly recommend them. I had the Kevlar motoport racing gloves on -- they protected my hands but ripped open, at the seam...I'm not sure I can recommend them and sadly don't think I'll replace them, I thought they were the top Vegan option for the gloves, so I'm pretty disappointed about that. Had a mesh Olympia mesh textile jacket, protected fine, but ripped open. I was wearing some hard plastic knee/shin armor under jeans which really saved me, they were grinded down a bit at the knee, don't think I'd have walked away from the accident without them.

Glad you are OK, sucks on the motoport glove. I would contact Wayne and send them back. They should repair or replace them for free.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Veg_Eric wrote:
I signed up for the Moto Gymkhana competition in my country and yesterday was the first competition day.

The 2nd heat was good enough for 5th place (out of 13 competitors) but it was very intense to ride in a competition setting. I'm happy I managed to do relatively good and that I could remember the course cause that was my biggest fear. http://youtu.be/_zDfRbkP52I

It doesn't look as intense as it feels, but when I finished that run my legs were shaking from all the adrenaline...

I installed crash bars / engine guards the day before and that takes some time to get used to. I don't know yet when they will touch the tarmac and when they do it feels a bit different.

Awesome...If you want to have fun, the local group I sometimes do gymkhana with have set up an online global competition. You can see how you compare to the best around the world. http://www.moto-gym.com/competition/
I suck at these, but go pretty good on the courses. When we run a full course I have won most of the time. These exercise courses I am mid-pack at best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

RichBeBe wrote:
Gunnar Handsome wrote:

Glad you are OK, sucks on the motoport glove. I would contact Wayne and send them back. They should repair or replace them for free.

Thanks.

I did contact Wayne and sent him pictures of the gloves, he said they couldn't be repaired and offered to replace them for $100. Nice enough offer, but I guess that means he didn't feel like they were defective. If that's how they are supposed to hold up then I don't really trust them enough to get another pair.

I don't know of a better vegan option which is too bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Gloves are hard! I think my cheap pair from South America is vegan, but I'm not sure how much protection they provide (they kept my hands from getting cut by insects and rocks, but in a crash, who knows?). I really want a pair of warmer waterproof gloves, and they all seem to have leather. My old pair of warmer not-waterproof gloves that were vegan fell apart after 6 months of off-and-on use (and would have been terrible in a crash).

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 am 
A Bad Person

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spid ... out-gloves

These are what I've been wearing for winter gloves. They're vegan and thick and warm and sturdy.

Non-winter gloves are more difficult. I've got a pair of Cortech DX 2's, but they feel barely protective. Like, I'm sure they'll shred in a wreck. My previous pair were Olympia Sports 760 Air Force Gel, which were still light but more protective than the Cortech's. I probably should have gotten another pair of the Olympias, but I did wear a sizable finger hole in them after a year.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 am 

Those look great brian!
On advice from Veg_Eric, I have both of these:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/textile-gloves

But I can't vouch for their protectiveness. I've never had an incident, (and hopefully won't)!
They state that they have done some testing on them.
Also I don't think they are as waterproof as those Spidi ones you suggested.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 am 
A Bad Person

I struggle with boots. I have three requirements: vegan, protective, and wearable in an office environment. It seems like I can get two of the three, but they're always power ranger boots or real close to subtle except some huge logo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next