| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Birds movie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I took my kids to see the new Pixar movie today, Monsters University. It was great, but the highlight of the whole trip to the theater was one of the previews we watched. There's a new animated movie coming out in November called Free Birds. It looks pretty awesome, and has a totally vegan message!

The main voice talents are Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson, and Amy Poehler. The characters are turkeys who are trying not to get killed and eaten on Thanksgiving. There's a time machine involved somehow, so they go back in time to the very first Thanksgiving to try and stop the pilgrims from using turkey at the first meal, in the hopes that they can prevent the turkey-eating from becoming tradition and thus saving millions of turkeys for generations to come. The preview is hilarious, adorable, and is so anti-carnivorous that I almost stood up in the theater and cheered. I'm so taking my kids to that one when it opens up! Who's with me?

Post subject: Re: Free Birds movie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Watched the trailer! Looks pretty good. I hope they change history! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I animated on that for a few months. I like the message of the movie, but I wish I could say working on it was a good experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm glad it actually ends up having a vegan message. I was thinking the message at the end of the movie would be that they turkeys were proud to get eaten for america or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm actually not sure how it ends. They weren't that far along when I was working on it, but the message for the majority of it, which I did see, was definitely pro-animal welfare at least. There's a bit of the modern white man (well, white turkey) coming to the rescue of (and falling in love with) the natives, but I'm happy at least that the pilgrims are the bad guys.