| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:52 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

someone sent me a note (through mail art) that they used to be vegan for a month, then veg for a few years and now eats chicken - now and then...i know this has been discussed but come on...mail art is cool but this is not some forking veg confessional.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ndpittman wrote:
I've been my own vegan pet peeve lately. Veg-curious people have been asking me, "So, what do you eat?" And my response is mostly, "Um, I don't know. Food?" I wish I had a better answer, but I'm depressed and don't like to cook for myself, so I eat a lot of sandwiches, frozen dinners, cereal, etc. I did make mention of Appetite for Reduction. I feel like a good vegan ambassador would have a response that just makes people drool thinking of all of the culinary delights they'll get to experience.

I don't have a sensible answer, but that just made me think of this video:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just tell people the last awesome thing I remember eating when they ask what I eat. that seems to work. Like the last thing I made was cauliflower tacos and they were awesome.

I don't have a good answer for the "where do you get your protein" question. I don't think about eating protein heavy meals, but according to MFP I get enough protein. I think the last time someone asked, I just kind of shrugged and said I don't really think about, my fitness pal says I get enough. At least it put the person's fears that I ate nothing but beans to rest.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:37 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

ndpittman wrote:
I've been my own vegan pet peeve lately. Veg-curious people have been asking me, "So, what do you eat?" And my response is mostly, "Um, I don't know. Food?" I wish I had a better answer, but I'm depressed and don't like to cook for myself, so I eat a lot of sandwiches, frozen dinners, cereal, etc. I did make mention of Appetite for Reduction. I feel like a good vegan ambassador would have a response that just makes people drool thinking of all of the culinary delights they'll get to experience.

Yes, this is probably my top pet peeve. I eat whatever I fancy just like everyone else but always feel the need to sell my food more so people don't think vegan food is dull/difficult/all lentils and quinoa/all junk depending on how I answer. Plus its so ridiculous to try and list anything in the world that I, you or they eat. I usually just say 'anything I want minus animal products' but then feel I'm underselling all the amazing food I eat!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, in this particular instance I responded, "Um, well, I've been eating a lot of BLTs lately."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I got stuck in traffic for an hour today because a truck full of pork bellies caught on fire. Y'all, I was promised vegan super powers. This isn't how it's supposed to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Whenever I hear pork belly all I can think of is

my vegan pet peeve is that you can't google image search for a pig without seeing some horrific images. I wish there was a vegan safe search!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mollyjade wrote:
I got stuck in traffic for an hour today because a truck full of pork bellies caught on fire. Y'all, I was promised vegan super powers. This isn't how it's supposed to go.
Oh, my god. That is horrible; I am so sorry.
LazySmurf wrote:
On the other hand, I am so glad that this exists.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

There was a microwave, so my soup was hot! Hoorah! On my way out today, the lady in charge said to me, 'J, tomorrow we'll have salad.' And to my coworker, 'And pizza!'

Sigh.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

When people ask me what I eat, I ask them what THEY ate. If they say "Oh I had cereal for breakfast" I say "hey, me too. A big bowl-ful with almond milk and berries. My favorite almond milk is -------. It's really creamy and delish."

If they say they had a sandwich and cookies, I'll say "hey, me, too. I had a falafel and oreos (or nutter butters)."

If they say they had a burger and fries, I'll say, "Me too. My favorite vegan burger is the Boca vegan. Had it with home made fries (or potato chips). And watermelon and potato salad. There's a great vegan mayo called Veganaise."

I like to turn it around so they see being vegan isn't deprivation or "weird" food. So many things are so easy to slightly tweak to being vegan (spaghetti with Boca crumbles, or whatever). And then I'll throw in some recommendation of a particular brand I like.

In all honesty (to you all), I don't eat processed stuff hardly ever any more (the most processed I eat is tofu and almond milk). But there was a time when I did, and I feel this is a better response to people being freaked about vegans and their "weird" diets. ...I just didn't say I ate that **today**

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Does anyone actually think that much about what they eat? I mean, really. If you go up to any person and ask them what they eat, what would they say? Probably the same thing, "Um, food. I eat food, you weird person asking me what I eat."

But...but...they eat meat! And eggs and dairy! Those are the three components of all the food in the world, so vegans must starve.

I have a coworker who was shocked to find out that mayonnaise contains eggs, and that whey is dairy--she thought it was 'a kind of wheat'. I found this out during a conversation in which she insisted that I eat too much processed food (because I admitted that I eat Boca burgers because I'm too lazy to make my own veggie burgers) with too many unknown ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am 
WRETCHED

I have a new one.. Egg whites in ice cream. Why?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Eggwhites in sorbet. Casein in ice lollies! Sometimes I hate ice cream manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 am 

I don't get egg whites in sorbet. Why on earth would anyone think that sorbet needs that? Are they confusing sorbet with sherbert?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sherbet has egg whites in it? I thought it just had milk in it. Why would ice cream ever need eggs?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Does anyone actually think that much about what they eat? I mean, really. If you go up to any person and ask them what they eat, what would they say? Probably the same thing, "Um, food. I eat food, you weird person asking me what I eat."

People are really weird about that. A coworker yesterday brought up a quinoa salad I allegedly ate last week. I totally don't remember it because I have so much on my mind at work and really just inhale food as needed for living, and don't understand why she needed to mention it, as I was super busy at work (in between conducting interviews) and just wanted to avoid a trivial conversation. Same coworker later commented when I was scarfing a bag of chips that that was a change from the "healthy" quinoa salad from last week. Like, why do you forking care? The word vegan was in every comment. Yeah, I eat vegan chips and vegan quinoa salad. And a lot of other vegan stuff. I'm VEGAN. If she was interested in veganism, I'm there for questioning, but she's already told me charcuterie is her lifestyle and I'm just not going to broach that. I think people think vegans think way too much about what to eat and not eat but really we just figure it out pretty quickly and live like everyone else. I mean, I asked if that quinoa salad was vegan at the grocery store, they showed me the ingredients, and now it's my thoughtless go-to for when I didn't bring my lunch and don't have more than 15 minutes to scarf some food.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 am 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Sherbet has egg whites in it? I thought it just had milk in it. Why would ice cream ever need eggs?

haha i dunno. sherbert has milkfat. I guess you could use egg whites instead? I dunno. Lots of ice cream recipies call for eggs though. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Isn't it because a lot of ice cream bases are custards? Like I thought French vanilla had egg yolks or something. Not sure why you would need egg whites thoughh--maybe a cheap way to make it airy?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm 
WRETCHED

The thing I saw looked like a sorbet from the ingredients except it had egg whites and was labelled as gelato. No milk was in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It always makes me sad that sherbert has milk in it. I used to love going to events where there was a giant bowl of punch with a big island of slowly melting sherbert in the middle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

'processed food' people....you know 'oh i don't eat _processed food_'....shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

What if I only eat grass? Without chewing?

Then can I say I don't eat processed food?

(Because that is what I eat.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

missmuffcake wrote:
'processed food' people....you know 'oh i don't eat _processed food_'....shut up.

I don't understand why this is such a common vegan pet peeve. It's why I don't bother posting on vegan forums very often and avoid vegan gatherings. I don't eat processed foods. If others do, hey, that's their choice. Although, it does bother me that so many of those processed foods are produced by branches of corporations that spend and make millions of dollars at the expense of animals, I can choose to not support them and I won't hold it against someone who makes a different decision or sees this issue differently than I do. It still catches me by surprise every time I meet vegans who get all defensive and offended when I politely decline Oreos or whichever version of Doritos is "vegan". They never fail to ask why I don't want any and when I say I just don't eat processed food, they get all pissy and act like I'm the one being judgmental. Why do my perfectly vegan food choices annoy anyone else and, according to some people, somehow make me less vegan?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:26 pm 
WRETCHED

njak wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

I don't understand why this is such a common vegan pet peeve. It's why I don't bother posting on vegan forums very often and avoid vegan gatherings. I don't eat processed foods. If others do, hey, that's their choice. Although, it does bother me that so many of those processed foods are produced by branches of corporations that spend and make millions of dollars at the expense of animals, I can choose to not support them and I won't hold it against someone who makes a different decision or sees this issue differently than I do. It still catches me by surprise every time I meet vegans who get all defensive and offended when I politely decline Oreos or whichever version of Doritos is "vegan". They never fail to ask why I don't want any and when I say I just don't eat processed food, they get all pissy and act like I'm the one being judgmental. Why do my perfectly vegan food choices annoy anyone else and, according to some people, somehow make me less vegan?

Yeah except it isn't politely refusing. There are some out there that say you aren't vegan if you eat any processed foods and they are very adamant about their position. They are growing in numbers as well so you seem to see a lot more vocal prejudice against vegans that eat anything that came in a package or bottle.

Although I concentrate in a whole foods diet, even at my strictest, I'd eat things like olive oil and peanut butter but those things are processed as well. If someone doesn't eat processed foods, go them but that is just one diet.

Last edited by linanil on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Labels with ridiculously tiny print and labels in other languages with no translation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 521  Next