| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

5-miler today. The weather has been crazy hot and muggy here lately, but today was finally 60 and breezy. Perfect! I've got a 10K in Central Park lined up for this weekend, so hopefully I'll be in good shape for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

2 k run today!

Super short and slow due to being the first "test run" after healing my leg from shin splints for almost a month. It felt good, I have new shoes that feels great and now I'm super excited to get back into running. Must not run to far to soon though, boo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Took the chance of the sunshine finally being out again and ran 40 minutes. Still need some walking breaks but getting there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Anyone here on runkeeper? I want to spy on your awesome running!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:40 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Facebook is telling me that today is National Running Day. (US only, I suppose!) I will celebrate with a 3.5 mile run along the river today at lunch, and it is gorgeous out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 am 
Saggy Butt

Here's what my running path looks like this week:

Lots of flooding around here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Wow, inceptisol! There is a path under there?

I did my week 2 run and my shins are killing me again. I had to put frozen stuff on them this time! I know I need new shoes (which I will hopefully get fitted for my birthday next month) but I also think I strike the footpath weirdly with my feet. My last couple of intervals I made a real effort to roll from my heel to my toe and it felt easier and I also found my whole posture changed and I moved faster.

I was properly panting and grunting by the end of it, though. This is why I run at midnight!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 pm 

Ran a 10K in Central Park today! Great race, but annoyed by all the "women = pink!!!" crepe that went with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I used Body Glide for the first time yesterday and it works! I usually get major chafing after about 3 miles if I run in a tank top, but I ran 6 miles with no problem. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:06 pm 

Yeah, after 10 minutes I was in so much pain I had to stop. Hobbling home was so painful I cried because it felt like my house was so far away. I am really disappointed because this is the first time I have stuck to something (OK, for 2 and a bit weeks) and I am really loving it and was looking forward to doing more and now I think I have to stop?

I can only describe the pain as being in the inside of my lower leg, from my knee down to my ankle and they are really swollen and sore to the touch like a bruise. It was more the weakness than the pain that got me on the way back. I can't even take any NSAIDs because I am on lithium so I will have to make an appointment for my doctor. I am really worried that it is the stress of carrying a bit of extra weight that is making it worse because not being able to exercise is not going to help that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm 

It really sounds like shin splints, Sarah-Jane. I know how frustrating that is. I get injuries all the time, too! Just take a week or two off, otherwise it'll get much worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 am 

Do you think I would be OK with brisk walking? Obviously not this week (I am limping like crazy and so sore!) but when the pain eases? Guess I paid the price for bad shoes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:08 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Definitely talk to your doctor and definitely get new shoes. Even if it isn't shin splints, that sounds related to your shoes. If you can, go to a store that'll fit you based on gait/etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 am 

I've made an appointment with my GP, unfortunately she isn't available until July 9th! I will not be running until I get new shoes, either. It is very definitely not worth it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 am 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, lost another toenail. I'm trying to frame it as a badge of honor, but it's summer dammit! I want pretty bare feet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 pm 

Sarah-Jane, I'd just take it easy and do low-impact exercises (like swimming or the elliptical). Brisk walking might be pushing it, particularly if you have a limp. I will also attest to the miraculous nature of new running shoes – they really DO help. I was having some serious ankle issues until I even replaced my insoles recently. That's crazy your doctor isn't available sooner! There are exercises you can do to strengthen your shins and prevent splints from happening in the future, but I'd probably wait to hear what your doctor has to say just in case you end up stressing the muscles more than they're intended to right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:54 am 

Ran a 5-mile race in Central Park today. Kind of muggy, but I did all right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

First long run after about a month off. It was hot, and I needed couple walk breaks, but I did it, gosh darn it. Ugh, the heat. Remind me why I signed up to run a fall marathon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Quiet around here lately! Is it the heat? We had some crazy hot days last week and now it's cold again. Crazy weather.

I ran 3 races in 7 days last week! And they were all firsts for me. My first triathlon on saturday, my first 5k on thursday and both my first 25k & first trail run on the next saturday. Whew! Very interested in trying some trail running now. But marathon training officially started again today!

Hope everyone is still running!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 am 

luckyklutz wrote:
First long run after about a month off. It was hot, and I needed couple walk breaks, but I did it, gosh darn it. Ugh, the heat. Remind me why I signed up to run a fall marathon?

This is also how I feel. Fall marathons are THE WORST to train for. Yesterday I ran a 5.5-miler and sweat was cascading down my face the whole time. It was 73 degrees. That's how muggy it is.

I'm running 2 races this weekend. I hope it doesn't rain on meee.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am 
Dead by dawn

I'll be here a bit more now that my A tri is out of the way. I have an Olympic distance coming up soon, but my current focus is going sub-2 in a half marathon on 8/10. Coach T says I'm there and that it's a fast, fun course. I will have a bunch of teammates running it too (sort of a girls' weekend) so I'm hoping maybe someone will be willing to pace me for ~1:57.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm 

I've not been well so not been running. Finally went out tonight for the first time in like a million years (well it feels like that but its probably been about 6 to 8 weeks.) Just did about 25 minutes. Didn't feel too bad but I can tell I've put on weight from lack of exercise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

alice1drland wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

This is also how I feel. Fall marathons are THE WORST to train for. Yesterday I ran a 5.5-miler and sweat was cascading down my face the whole time. It was 73 degrees. That's how muggy it is.

I'm running 2 races this weekend. I hope it doesn't rain on meee.

I feel you, girl. I got home, threw my hat inside, laid down on the floor and yelled at Josh to bring me an ice cube. Which he did, because he's great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 pm 

Oh good christ. I ran a 5-mile race in Central Park today, and I was sweating before the damn thing even started. Horrible. HORRIBLE RACE. The first mile was a gigantic hill, and then the rest of the race was just many other hills. I had to stop 3 times. Post race food was popsicles and people were fighting over them, so I avoided that mess altogether.

I'm doing another race tomorrow. Aaah! Thank god it's a different course, otherwise I think I may have had to consider bowing out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Oof. The heat. I ran for the first time in 3 weeks in 85 degree heat. It was so brutal. I am definitely waking up early tomorrow for my run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 127  Next