| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dreena Burton's "Plant Powered 15" E-Book
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Just downloaded this today and I'm super excited to make all 15 recipes! All recipes are made from whole plant foods and are oil-free. (And gluten free, if that's how you swing). Particularly excited to make the Umami Sun-Dried Tomato and Almond Burgers, Sneaky Chickpea Burgers, Green Goddess Dressing, Wonder Spread, and Coconut Pillows.

So, who's cooked from this e-book already? Any suggestions?

More details here:
http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/plant-po ... -oil-free/

Post subject: Re: Dreena Burton's "Plant Powered 15" E-Book
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

kidsdoc wrote:
Just downloaded this today and I'm super excited to make all 15 recipes! All recipes are made from whole plant foods and are oil-free. (And gluten free, if that's how you swing). Particularly excited to make the Umami Sun-Dried Tomato and Almond Burgers, Sneaky Chickpea Burgers, Green Goddess Dressing, Wonder Spread, and Coconut Pillows.

So, who's cooked from this e-book already? Any suggestions?

More details here:
http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/plant-po ... -oil-free/

$6.95 for 15 recipes seems like a steep price. It's also not clear from Ms. Burton's website what format this ebook is in. Will it work on my kindle, or only on the computer?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the sneaky Chicpea burgers, they were ok, too much carrot taste. I made coconut pillows, dee-luscious!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would guess it's a PDF. Amazon would have to sell it for it to work on your kindle. They don't play nice with others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm 

Vantine wrote:
I would guess it's a PDF. Amazon would have to sell it for it to work on your kindle. They don't play nice with others.

If Burton is self-publishing, I don't see why she can't sell it through Amazon. Also, it's ridiculous to charge so much for a PDF file with 15 recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LFL wrote:
Vantine wrote:

If Burton is self-publishing, I don't see why she can't sell it through Amazon. Also, it's ridiculous to charge so much for a PDF file with 15 recipes.

I saw this one too and was put off by the price. It's way too expensive. It's an electronic file with 15 recipes. Lower the price and you'll have way more sales. It's not like it cost that much to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VegSo wrote:
LFL wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I saw this one too and was put off by the price. It's way too expensive. It's an electronic file with 15 recipes. Lower the price and you'll have way more sales. It's not like it cost that much to make.

She could submit it to Amazon and publish it through them. People take Dracula, change the title, and sell it on Amazon for the Kindle. I was just explaining why the version through her would not be for the Kindle. Amazon does not play well with others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You can email a pdf to yourself and Amazon will convert it. You can also just add a pdf file to the kindle reader for iPad (I haven't tried on an actual kindle device).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:57 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
You can email a pdf to yourself and Amazon will convert it. You can also just add a pdf file to the kindle reader for iPad (I haven't tried on an actual kindle device).

I don't have an iPad. I did know about emailing the PDF, and now Amazon has new software that, upon installation, allows you to right click on a PDF file and choose "send to kindle."

Even so, I think it's self-defeating for an author not to make her e-book available through Amazon's kindle store. For one thing, those PDF files don't always look good on the kindle, even after the conversion process.

Secondly, the kindle store is frequented by a lot of readers. Many people would see her book there, and Amazon's royalty rate is considered generous relative to the rest of the industry. From that I understand, in the US, the majority of ebook sales happen through Amazon. I could be wrong about that though.

The one understandable concern I could see having about Amazon is fearing that someday they'll put the competition out of business and then, when they are the only game in town, their royalty rates will plummet.

Regardless, her decision risks irritating fans of her work -- and so does the excessive price IMO. The cost per recipe is really out of hand, especially when you consider that a book like Robin Robertson's Quick Fix Vegan, with many more recipes, can be had for $7.39 in right now -- and in kindle format, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:45 pm 

taylorra wrote:
How do mp3 ebooks work? i just bought my kids an mp3 player and it has ebook on it. my son loves to read but i can only find audio ebooks is that the only way we can download the books or can we find books that would come in text format? Please explain in detail how the ebooks work on mp3 players. He is able to watch movies, record video, take pictures, and listen to music-it's an ematic 4gb mp3 player.

I don't know anything about books on an mp3 player but mobileread.com and their forums might be a good resource for questions about that. You could also google it -- there must be information floating around on the net.