| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Skinny B*tch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So I'm a straight male (but dear friend of the gay community), and I was wondering if someone that has read Skinny B*tch can tell me whether it's a worthwhile read for a guy? I know it says on the cover it's for women, but then again so does the packaging on the Luna Bars I'm always stealing from my wife's stash.

If it matters, I'm sort of a guys guy (I like sports, cars, etc.) but am not into being macho or anything (I love the Devil Wears Prada).

Post subject: Re: Question about Skinny B*tch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If you can tell us a little more about why you're considering it, we'll probably be able to give you better advice. If you're looking for a cook book or a weight loss book we'll probably be able to provide some alternatives (and they don't really have anything to do with Skinny bisque being aimed towards women - it's more that there are better books out there).

Otherwise, maybe try to get it from the library or peruse Amazon's look inside feature?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

What attracts you to give him this particular book - what are you looking for? A lot of people have loved it and said it changed their lives; a lot of people have hated it because it does tend to shame people. So there are probably better choices.

edit: Hah - Nicole, we gave him the same advice at the same time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was vegetarian for many years, but I became vegan after reading Skinny bisque. I loved its snarky attitude and took it with a grain of salt. And there was a story about a pig that just got me right in the heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

There is a version of the book for men called "Skinny mustard".

I read both books. The books are almost identical. "Skinny mustard" is pretty close to what you would get if you took "Skinny bisque" and ran a word replace on it substituting "mustard" for "bisque". The nutrition information is on the edge of crossing into "urban folklore" ( no offense to anyone ).

If you are interested in eating a maximally healthy, but scientifically grounded vegan diet I would recommend "Vegan For Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina - both RDs, both vegans, both have regularly updated blogs with the latest nutrition info. The book is SHORT, easy to read and with a strong focus on being PRACTICAL.

Losing weight is simply a matter of taking in less energy ( measured in kilocalories - heat, aka "calories" ) than you expend. Putting on muscle involves reversing that slightly and doing progressive resistance.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I read skinny bisque and was totally turned off. I think that it is body-negative and fat-shaming, and doesn't promote a truly healthy relationship with food and eating. as a person who has struggled with body image and disordered eating, I saw this book as a piece of triggering lit that promotes an antagonizing relationship between food and self. a healthy and ethical diet should make you feel good and confident about your choices, not bad for enjoying and indulging in foods that aren't prescribed as "clean" or "pure" or whatever. skinny bisque does not promote balance, and the diets at the back are basically nutritious enough for a 6-year-old. or a fashion model, which both of the authors are/were.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into the Jack Norris book. The reason I was thinking of reading it is because I've been reading a lot of the straight up "Doctor" type stuff (Barnard, Fuhrman, Saul). While these docs know their stuff, these types of books get kind of dry. I guess I was looking for something that was a little easier on the brain (in a literary sense). So I figured Skinny B*tch is a NY Times Best Seller, I've heard the two author's have this witty charismatic writing style, and it seems to have influenced a lot of people. I didn't know about the male version (Skinny B*stard) which looked interesting from a quick google search. But I guess reading a spin-off book wouldn't necessarily help me see "what all the fuss is about".

As far as what I'm interested in, I'm vegan for the long term health and disease prevention, (but need a break from the medical stuff for a bit). I'm somewhat interested in fitness since I lift weights and exercise, but I also struck out purchasing "Vegan Bodybuilding" by Robert Cheeke which was unreadable. I'm also interested in all the other things that vegans are interested in.. animal rights, the environment, etc. I guess, I was just looking for a good read. Something to keep me entertained for 30 minutes at a time before bed for a few nights, while knocking out what I've heard is a "must read" for vegans.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the "shaming" comment. That alone is enough to make me not bother. I'm not overweight but I cannot stand stuff written with a self-righteous "we are better than you" attitude. I sniff that out right away and it's an immediate turnoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks Magnificent... really helpful testimonial. I'll save my $9.99 and put it towards a different e-book. Glad I asked here before buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

happy to help! good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tynamite wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into the Jack Norris book. The reason I was thinking of reading it is because I've been reading a lot of the straight up "Doctor" type stuff (Barnard, Fuhrman, Saul).

Those authors promote a VLF ( Very Low Fat ) diet. Those diets are wonderful as therapeutic diets for diseases of overconsumption ( cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc ). Some people without those health problems do well on them, but those diets are not for everybody and are not necessary for good health. There is a lot of BS on vegan nutrition in print and on the web. You want to look at the credentials the authors have.. You also want to look at the references in the back of the book. If the references are to other popular books, magazines, web sites or OLD studies, choose another book.

Norris and Messina ( "Vegan For Life" ) are conservative and have a regular relationship with the latest journal findings. Again, both are registered dieticians.

"Vegan For Life" is easy to read and short.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Beforewisdom... Just purchased Vegan For Life and will start it tonight. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done. Is there a thread discussing this book anywhere on the forum? Thanks again everyone for the friendly advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

beforewisdom wrote:
Those authors promote a VLF ( Very Low Fat ) diet. Those diets are wonderful as therapeutic diets for diseases of overconsumption ( cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc ). Some people without those health problems do well on them, but those diets are not for everybody and are not necessary for good health.

Yup, I totally get that. I have really bad genetics when it comes to my body producing cholesterol. Before going vegan my cholesterol was around 300 on both Crestor and Zetia. Now that I'm vegan, I have been taken off all meds but it is still higher than I would like (around 200) although I literally ingest zero cholesterol and limit my intake of refined oils. Hence my interests in what those docs had to say. I also live in NJ not far from Joel Fuhrman's practice so I considered seeing him after reading Eat to Live but decided not to after reading many patient reviews that he thinks he's a rock star and just prescribes patients to read his book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

The Lucky Ones by Jenny Brown is a good read. She's a founder of Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. It isn't super nutritional, it's just telling her story and the story of the sanctuary. She's a good writer and a fabulous person. It would definitely be a good vegan related book to read for 30 minutes around the bed time.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If you haven't gotten on with Vegan Bodybuilding, the Vegan Fitness forum is much more down to earth (as the focus is not competitive bodybuilding). Plenty of powerlifters and strong men and women, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Have you read "Eating Animals"? That's not a "doctory" book, but talks more about the ethics. Pretty easy read, as it's written as a memoir/novel. You could check into titles Marion Nestlé, I've always liked her books for a different perspective. John Robbins has a few good books, but they might be too doctory.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I forgot to say, "Skinny bisque" was the first vegan book I read (and it was by accident). At the time, it was perfect, because it was a lot that I had never even thought about before. Now that I've read other books on the topic, I'm glad I read that first, because it probably wouldn't have been as stimulating 10 books in!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Tynamite wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
Those authors promote a VLF ( Very Low Fat ) diet. Those diets are wonderful as therapeutic diets for diseases of overconsumption ( cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc ). Some people without those health problems do well on them, but those diets are not for everybody and are not necessary for good health.

Yup, I totally get that. I have really bad genetics when it comes to my body producing cholesterol. Before going vegan my cholesterol was around 300 on both Crestor and Zetia. Now that I'm vegan, I have been taken off all meds but it is still higher than I would like (around 200) although I literally ingest zero cholesterol and limit my intake of refined oils. Hence my interests in what those docs had to say. I also live in NJ not far from Joel Fuhrman's practice so I considered seeing him after reading Eat to Live but decided not to after reading many patient reviews that he thinks he's a rock star and just prescribes patients to read his book.

Good for you. You don't need to spend your money just to get brushed off like that.

You might prefer Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn book "Heart Attack Proof" or his son's book "The Engine Two Diet". There is also a "Forks Over Knives" cookbook now too. It is a very low fat diet, but Esselstyn is a former cardiac surgeon, and is more down to Earth than the other VLF authors.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Gulliver wrote:
If you haven't gotten on with Vegan Bodybuilding, the Vegan Fitness forum is much more down to earth (as the focus is not competitive bodybuilding). Plenty of powerlifters and strong men and women, though.

The information is much better too. Many people on Vegan Bodybuilding ( and yes, I've posted this opinion there ) don't know what they are talking about with regards to nutrition and often promote things least offensively termed as "nutritional urban folklore". Vegan Fitness, OTOH, has had a number of academics on it as well as people who respect citations, facts, etc. As you put it, they are more down to Earth. You still need to double check their recommendations, but their recommendation are more likely to correspond to medical facts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

kdub wrote:
Have you read "Eating Animals"? That's not a "doctory" book, but talks more about the ethics. Pretty easy read, as it's written as a memoir/novel.

I can't recommend that book enough. It is extremely well written. Foer also did his own, fresh ( not copied from similar books or groups ), research and paid a professional fact checker to review his book before he published it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

pandacookie wrote:
The Lucky Ones by Jenny Brown is a good read. She's a founder of Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. It isn't super nutritional, it's just telling her story and the story of the sanctuary. She's a good writer and a fabulous person. It would definitely be a good vegan related book to read for 30 minutes around the bed time.

Yup, this is my evening book too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I didn't realize there were two vegan forums for lifting, I know Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness but didn't know there was one just called Vegan Fitness. I'll check it out.

Beforewisdom - I've got the FOK cookbook and read his son's Engine2 book. Right now though I can't stop using Isa's AFR as my go-to cookbook.

I started Vegan For Life last night as per BeforeWisdoms suggestion but will look into Eating Animals next. Sounds like it might be a good change of pace.

Thanks for all the other suggestions from everyone else too, I will keep them all in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Tynamite wrote:
I didn't realize there were two vegan forums for lifting, I know Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness but didn't know there was one just called Vegan Fitness. I'll check it out.

http://www.veganfitness.net/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks again, checking the site out now, looks great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm kind of sad that everyone has such a poor opinion on Skinny bisque. I picked it up without knowing it had anything to do with veganism at all. And I loved it, it changed my life because from the second I put it down until now I've been vegan without hesitation. I don't think you can expect it to be anything it isn't. On the surface it's fluffy, they are crass and blunt and use foul language and don't make any apologies for it. But the sections that talked specifically about each type of animal and the horrible truths behind the factory farming and ways that animal products are used is what really hit me. I remember sitting on the couch crying horribly and thinking "I just can't ever eat an animal again after this!" and I haven't. So while their book isn't for advanced vegans and it certainly isn't for nutrition and diet advice (even though that's how it was sold) it does have it's place in the vegan society.

After reading the book I bought their workout dvd's and I love them. And, magnificent70s this is why I disagree about the body shaming part. They absolutely promote women of all shapes and sizes living better healthier lifestyles and incorporating exercise into their lives at ever level. There is no talk of shaming or anything remotely close in their message.

I personally feel that Rory and Kim are just like us and they are advocates of veganism and animal rights. And I don't want to put down people in our community that are trying to send out that message.

I realize not everyone is going to love their book or them. And they probably should have used a different marketing tactic. But think about how many people out there read their book without knowing the details and were exposed to what veganism.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

GraciaKai wrote:
I'm kind of sad that everyone has such a poor opinion on Skinny bisque. I picked it up without knowing it had anything to do with veganism at all. And I loved it, it changed my life because from the second I put it down until now I've been vegan without hesitation. I don't think you can expect it to be anything it isn't. On the surface it's fluffy, they are crass and blunt and use foul language and don't make any apologies for it. But the sections that talked specifically about each type of animal and the horrible truths behind the factory farming and ways that animal products are used is what really hit me. I remember sitting on the couch crying horribly and thinking "I just can't ever eat an animal again after this!" and I haven't. So while their book isn't for advanced vegans and it certainly isn't for nutrition and diet advice (even though that's how it was sold) it does have it's place in the vegan society.

This is exactly the experience I had with it. When I read it 5 years ago, it was a tone that worked for me, but the parts about the animal cruelty in all of the industries is what got me. I had been cooking vegan for a couple of years before I read it since I was living with my vegan boyfriend, so I knew the recipes in the back were crepe, but the message still hit home and I've been vegan since the day I read it. It's definitely not for everybody, and if I were reading it for the first time now I might not like it, but it has its place.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.