| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: new WW plan coming out soon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:23 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've read that there's a new plan coming out soon and I'm thinking of trying it. I had a lot of succes in the past with points, but honestly the results came because it was just so little food! It sounds like the new plan (from what I've briefly read from recent threads on WW message boards) includes unlimited fruit as well as the veggies, which already sounds like a big improvement to me. Anyone have any other info?

Post subject: Re: new WW plan coming out soon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:05 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I have heard this is based on theSlimming World plan which is pretty awesome, you are not limited at all on fruit and veggies either. I have never done the Weight Watchers plan before but there are a couple of girls in my work doing weight watchers and it seems pretty miserable. The whole slimming world thing is that the more you eat the better, which is always good in my book, so if it is anything like that I would definitely recommend it because it is really effective.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:40 pm 
WRETCHED

I'll be watching. I'm not sure an unlimited fruit and veggie diet would be good for me. I can eat a lot of fruit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:09 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

In addition to the 0 points values for fruits and veggies, I've heard that the points values will now be based on carbs, protein, fat and fiber instead of calories, fat and fiber. So theoretically processed junk food will have a higher points value than whole foods, even if the calories are the same. I think this is a good thing. I have done WW on and off and my problem has always been using my points for crepe.

The new plan has been going for a little while in the UK. Check out their message boards for more info. I did that a couple weeks ago and people seemed to really like it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

linanil wrote:
I can eat a lot of fruit.

This. I can literally eat a pound of grapes in a sitting, and I am pretty sure this isn't great for you.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:01 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Are avocados a fruit?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

coldandsleepy wrote:
linanil wrote:

This. I can literally eat a pound of grapes in a sitting, and I am pretty sure this isn't great for you.

yeah, I've always questioned diet plans that tell you an unlimited amount of fruit is ok. vegetables I understand, but you can very easily gain weight if you eat, say... 10 bananas, 10 apples, 2 pineapples, and 2 watermelons in a day. which I could probably do if I really felt like it, because that sounds awesome. :9

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Fee wrote:
Are avocados a fruit?

yes, but I don't know if WW counts them as a fruit since avocados have a fair bit of (healthy) fat. I'm definitely in favor of unlimited avocados.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:
linanil wrote:

Same. I can't count the number of times I've sat down to study and eaten 2 bananas, 2 apples, a couple of oranges etc. in a very short period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:50 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Apparently they're saying ALL fruits are free foods, even bananas and mangoes, which is dangerous for me! I have two entire pineapples and about 20 frozen bananas in my freezer right now! I think they key is still moderation, and not eating until you are stuffed.

It looks like your points allowance is also going up--both daily and weekly--which is great, because after a workout, I am starving, and end up trying to contemplate whether or not a bowl of broccoli will actually stop me from wanting to gnaw off my own arm.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My mum switched over and she loves it. Of course you still have to use common sense but she says it's really made her reach for some 'free fruit' over other snacks. She even said that some of the people she is doing it with have reported less constipation! haha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:18 am 
Chard Martyr

I think this is great because my friend who does WW would always complain that fruit counted toward points, which always didn't make sense to me. Fruit is good! However, other, less "healthy" snacks, if you didn't eat as much of them, could be considered zero points.

I've never done WW, though, but this sounds like it's an awesome idea- more fruit, veggies, and whole foods!
coldandsleepy wrote:
linanil wrote:

I could, too... I guess that's where that whole moderation bit comes in. A pound of grapes is better than a pound of cookies!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 am 
Keepin' It Seal

My mom and my sister are on WW. I can't afford it, so I just follow the program using their materials. I was just looking over the new book and I can't find how to calculate my daily points target. Is this something they're keeping to themselves to make more people give them money?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:38 pm 

Veglicious wrote:
She even said that some of the people she is doing it with have reported less constipation! haha

Thank goodness I already eat a high fiber diet. Let's just say I can't afford any less constipation if I actually want to get any work done.

It is good that the emphasis is moving away from calories, though, and focusing more on the types of food you eat. Sure, a couple of Oreos may have fewer calories than a cup of chickpeas, but which is the more wholesome choice, and which will actually leave you feeling more satisfied in an hour?

Also, nothing is forbidden, still, so if you still want those Oreos, go ahead and have them, they're just going to cost you more points.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So is it more similar to the Core Plan? Not sure if they still offer that but I did it for a while and liked it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

joyfulgirl wrote:
My mom and my sister are on WW. I can't afford it, so I just follow the program using their materials. I was just looking over the new book and I can't find how to calculate my daily points target. Is this something they're keeping to themselves to make more people give them money?

It seems like in order to get your correct allotment of points, you need to join, although I've been able to find sites that will help you find out how many points per day you need based on some sort of calculation... but I don't know if that all changes now with the new plan?

I am interested in WW because I like how the focus isn't on calories, it's on points, and now, like DTBK pointed out, the emphasis seems like it will be more health-focused, food-wise, but still without restrictions. So, yes, have the oreos, but now the point value for those oreos will be higher compared to how they used to be the same (or less) value as chickpeas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:09 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

yeah, the points are completely different now. My sis used to have 18 per day and now she gets 29, so the old calculations won't work.

Points are now based on protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber as opposed to calories, fat, and fiber. There's no point finder. It looks like you'll need to buy a calculator or use an app on your smart phone to figure anything out. It looks like most things are more points or the same, well the things I've looked up so far. It's nice that fruits are free.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

designedtobekind wrote:

It looks like your points allowance is also going up--both daily and weekly--which is great, because after a workout, I am starving, and end up trying to contemplate whether or not a bowl of broccoli will actually stop me from wanting to gnaw off my own arm.

YES YES YES. I'm participating in WW and this is a huge problem for me. I don't work out for huge long periods but I get so darn hungry and end up eating what I worked off, plus some.

I'm excited for the changes! I don't eat a lot of processed food because I can't afford it, so I can see myself doing even better on the new plan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 am 

joyfulgirl wrote:
yeah, the points are completely different now. My sis used to have 18 per day and now she gets 29, so the old calculations won't work.

Points are now based on protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber as opposed to calories, fat, and fiber. There's no point finder. It looks like you'll need to buy a calculator or use an app on your smart phone to figure anything out. It looks like most things are more points or the same, well the things I've looked up so far. It's nice that fruits are free.

Fruits and most vegetables (seems like the non-starchy ones so far) are free foods, which is awesome because I never felt like I shouldn't be able to eat as much kale, peppers, and broccoli as I wanted!

Also, my giant green smoothie now has way fewer points than a Clif bar. Not that Clif bars are bad, it's just that I was always annoyed that a cup of fresh fruit and veggies with no added sweeteners carried the same points.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am 
WRETCHED

Ok I signed up today.

I can actually see myself running under by points but I think it'll help keep me honest in the veggie department. Winter is a bit hard because I like raw veggies more than cooked and sometimes I don't want to eat cooked veggies. Greens are my only exception but greens are pricey.

Knowing I was going to sign up, I made a green smoothie this morning. I had carrot tops, apples and celery staring at me, what else was I going to do?

And you are so right about the exercise thing. I did fairly well on Thanksgiving but I had intense workouts on Friday and Saturday and my hunger levels went through the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am 

One thing I just noticed, though. When I put in my smoothie ingredients individually, it was way less points than putting them into the recipe builder, so that is kind of confusing. I'm not going to worry about it too much, since you're still supposed to practice moderation, but that's something to think about.

Ok, I've been playing around some more. You do get more points, but depending on how you input your food, some things are way more points. So like with the smoothie, putting in my salad ingredients individually is way less than putting them into the recipe builder. So, I'm still watching portions and just eating until I'm satisfied.

Last edited by designedtobekind on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Well I just figured out where a large portion of my points will come from today. I made chorizo stuffing yesterday, I knew it'd be high points, I put lots of veggies in it but it is still 8 points per serving! No stress though, I could still have 2 servings today and be good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm 
protein lump

i just joined again too. i had great results with WW in the past and i like the sound of the new points system.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:34 pm 
Ignore this!

I'm thinking of joining again. A few years ago I lost 20 lbs. doing the WW points system. It worked really well but my daily points allotment went down as my weight went down, and by the end I was eating like a bird, something like 19 daily points. This new system sounds like an improvement. And I need to eat more veggies, I've been too whole grain/nut focused lately.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

is there anything besides fruit that actually went down in points? everything im looking at is more points. some things have more than doubled in points. i know id get a few more points.

*im not actually in ww right now but have followed the plan very loosely in the past. im thinking of joining this week.

Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next