| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: audible.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:10 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

For Christmas my mom got me a book on cd that I've been loving because I spend 2 hours in my car daily for commuting. The book isn't even the best, but it's fun because I spend so much time driving that by the time I have to get out of the car I'm kind of reluctant to just leave off in the middle of what I was listening to. I was looking to buy another for when I'm finished and remembered all those npr ads for audible.com, which looks great, but I don't know if I want to sign up for a membership for something I don't really think I understand fully. Does anyone have any experience with it? Loves? Hates? Wastes of moneys? Good selection of books?

Post subject: Re: audible.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My local library offers audio books for loan. I think you just download it and the license expires after two weeks, but I'm not totally sure since I've never done it. You could also try out LibriVox, http://librivox.org/, but that's only books that are in the public domain and read by volunteers, so some of the readers are awesome and some aren't so much. I've never tried Audible, but those options are free, so...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 am 
A Bad Person

I've never used Audible, but they advertise heavily with tech podcasts that I listen to. They often have special ad URLs that come with free books or free trials, like if you sign up with their URL, you get a free book or two. If you listen to one of these episodes, you're almost certain to get an Audible ad. http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-tech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 am 

Awesome! I had forgotten that libraries are hip and cool and new age and have audio books, and librivox looks like it has a lot of good options.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love audible. I have the $19 plan still from ages ago, for 2 credits a month. I think it s $22 now. If you get new or long books, it's a good deal. I tend to get new best sellers like John Grisham, Michael Connelly, etc, so it costs me less than I'd have spent on the new hardcover book. This saves me on my commute.

If you end up needing or wanting more, they have a lot of specials too, so sometimes I get an extra book for $5-7. Their selection has gotten really good over the years, and now they seem to deal with most publishers. They also let you exchange a book if you hate what you got (I just did this for the first time recently, and it was painless). The quality is great, and they have a new iPhone app that lets you access your entire audible library directly instead of downloading and syncing.

My library doesn't do audiobooks except on cd, and I don't have a cd player. Some libraries have enormous selections of books on cd though, so check that out.

So, basically, I'm a pretty big audible fan.

Eta: you can cancel the membership at any time and still have full access to your library, so there isn't any real risk to signing up. The only downside is they only roll over 12 credits, so if you forget about it for a while, you lose the credits. Also, don't forget that the credits cost you $11 and then waste one on a book that is on sale for $8. I've done that and then feel dumb.

You can also sort by length to fill your commute. I just got a bio of Einstein that is something like 18hrs long. It's by the same guy who wrote the Jobs bio, and is pretty good. It was still only 1 credit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I also have the 2 books/month plan and sometimes I take advantage of the deals LW mentioned. I've never had a problem finding the book I want. It's been great for books I know I'll never get through (like long nonfiction stuff) and for books written by comedians and read by them (like Bossypants). I almost exclusively use the iPhone app so I can listen while I'm standing at work or at the gym or plugged into my car stereo. My friend and I have also shared our audible login info so we can listen to each others' books too.

I'm a pretty big fan! One of the best ways I've spent money recently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I subscribed so that I could have something to listen to in order to make the dishes less painful to wash.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Always make sure you listen to a sample first. Some people just have horrible voices that can ruin a good book. But yeah I don't think it hurts to sign up (you should be able to get a free book with it somewhere) and see. Just remember to cancel it if you stop using it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That's what great about the exchange policy! I got one that I just couldn't listen to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a fan. Having plenty of audiobooks has made raking, mopping, and other tedious tasks much more bearable, plus allowed me to hear some long books I might not have slogged through in print.

My public library shares digital audiobooks using the OneClick Digital app, but it's horribly frustrating for me--- and the book selection is really disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm 

I just wanted to update and promote audible. I got it two months ago and looooove it. The books are great and everything - so you already know if you like listening to books on tape or not - the selection is a lot bigger than I would've thought. And the service is just wonderful, they're constantly offering coupons and discounts and promotions. For awhile all the first books in series were under $5 and they randomly gave me $10 credit for something and then I got another book for free during another thing - and that's all in the last 2 months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

audible, another way for amazon to monopolize the world. fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Woah, I didn't know about the series deal! I had to scale back my subscription because I couldn't keep up with 2 books/month. I just learned about the return policy -- it's awesome! Seems like people could really take advantage of it...but I'm glad I was able to return two books that were just terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

I just wish that they would let you arrange the results by price! It's super annoying that you can't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:56 am 

I haven't received any promo offers in my email in FOREVER. I swear there used to be a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

hey, i'm bumping this thread because i've had my audible subscription for several months now and already kinda running out of things i'd like to listen to? i have a manual labor job right now that allows me to listen to stuff on my iPhone ALL DAY-- its actually quite boring if i'm not listening to something. so, i have all my podcasts that i like to listen to... maybe about 10hrs worth/week. i also have an app called "audiobooks" that's a bunch of free audiobooks that're mostly novels that've fallen into the public domain and are read by volunteers. on there i'll listen to really long stuff like Dickens and Melville. on audible i like to download mostly non-fiction stuff... i've listened to a few by jon ronson, malcom gladwell, some things from "The Great Courses" (ok, just the lectures from Steven Novella) so i like things about health and psychology. any recommendations? what've y'all been listening to? or does it get old after a while?

TL;DR. audible: recommendations? any non-fiction listeners?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:24 pm 

I recommend Devil in the White City! Non-fiction and it's about America's first serial killer in the 1800s. Estimates say he may have killed 200 people (this was during The World's Fair). Some believe he might have been Jack the Ripper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I like David Sedaris' books read out loud, and World War Z.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

oh i'd totally try out World War Z! i'd seen that and wondered if it was any good. yeah, i love all of David Sedaris' books and i've enjoyed listening to a few of them read aloud.

i don't know if i could listen to something about a serial killer. i could handle crazy religious zealots, like in Jon Ronson's "Them," but i think that would be a little too depressing.

thanks for the recs!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have also liked The Signal and The Noise and
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and
Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me) (I LOVED that one!) and
Abundance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love many of the Great Courses. Any of the Greek history courses by Jeremy mcinerney are fabulous, as are the Bob Brier Egyptology series. Rufus Freir (spelling might be screwy) has some fun courses on myths.

Inside Scientology was great. Another recent great one was Into Thin air by Krakaeur.

Other nonfiction I've enjoyed: Crack at the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester, Diamond: Heart of an Obsession, by Matthew Hart. Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt. The Devils Teeth (about great white sharks), a Peoples History by Howard Zinn, Einstein by Isaacson (I have the jobs book to! but haven't started it), plastic Ocean by Charles Moore (about the pacific plastic garbage patch)

Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule. That's about Ted Bundy, but I found it fascinating even though I'm generally true crime squeamish. She knew Bundy before she was famous and before he was known. She was actually hired to write about the "Ted" murders while they worked nights together.

Don't be afraid of just trying stuff--they have a great no questions asked return policy. I've exchanged ~4 books in the past year with no issue at all.

Fiction, but the John Grisham books are wonderfully read. I loved The Racketeer. I've found that the tight pacing of his books make for good listens, especially since a lot happens so you are always entertained without slogging through backstory only to get to exciting stuff just as you are done listening (I hate that!).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I also like listening to series. I just finished Sue Grafton. The nice thing about that is you can keep going and you really get into the characters.

If you want funny, Janet Evanovich is zany and goofy.

I listen the audiobooks on my commute since I'm not usually in the mood for music in the morning. Sometimes I actually look forward to driving in the morning just to finish a good book. I've found that mixing nonfiction and fiction keeps me most engaged. Today, I alternated between a vampire/urban fantasy and another book on Scientology.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Non fiction is what I listen to most on audible!

Anything by Bill Bryson or Jon Krakauer (esp the book about Mormonism) is great.

Health/pop science: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and Gulp were favorites.

Feynman's memoirs are also fun to listen to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 am 

lavawitch wrote:
Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule. That's about Ted Bundy, but I found it fascinating even though I'm generally true crime squeamish. She knew Bundy before she was famous and before he was known. She was actually hired to write about the "Ted" murders while they worked nights together.

This is one of my favorite books and I recommend it all the time! I do have to say though that I was pretty terrified while reading it; there were some pretty graphic parts detailing what he did to victims. However, it's a very fascinating book and a great read.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

good disclaimer. What made the difference for me was that the graphic parts never seemed gratuitous or exploitive. It's just an interesting, compelling story of how she grappled with the Ted she thought she knew, believing him innocent for a while, and finally accepting his guilt. That does mean the book is not as victim centric as it might otherwise be, but she certainly doesn't glorify Bundy or buy into the cult of the serial killer crepe.

I'd recommend it to people who aren't into true crime (I'm not) though.

Bundys car is at the crime museum in DC. I passed on the opportunity to go. Ick. Chills.