| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did you do your homework?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I was listening to my Saved By The Bell podcast yesterday and the two ladies on it were talking about how they never did their homework in highschool and it confuses them that other people did because like..it was a choice about whether or not you could do it and how did you just choose to do it? And then that, in turn, confused me because to me doing homework was like non-negotiable. You couldn't just CHOOSE to not do your homework. And if something horrible happened like you forgot to do it, you scrambled like fork to get it done. Even if you copied your friend's - I know - totally defeating the purpose of homework. And if you didn't do it and didn't get a chance to scramble, you just felt SHAME. Yeah, I did my homework.

The only times I think I ever blew it off were in college when it was like read pgs 1-50 of this book and I'd be like no, that's what the night before the test is for and then later regret that attitude.

Post subject: Re: Did you do your homework?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 am 
WELFARIST!

I did studiously and was a diligent student up until grade 10--when I went off the rails and attempted rebellion. After that I became a truant and that's why I stopped doing homework and even in my truant days when I'd sporadically attend school--I'd do homework where I knew it would be marked and counted as a grade, sort of thing. I went from aiming for 90%+ (pre-grade 10 in my striving academic student days) to 50% (just enough to pass and graduate and get the eff out!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

i remember my homework being a certain percentage of my final grade. depending on the teacher, it was worth 10-20% of the final grade. some teachers would take it in and grade it (usually the language classes), sometimes we'd go over it in class and grade it ourselves w/ a chance to fix the problems we had (like math class), and sometimes we just had to be able to answer any question that came up in class about the previous night's reading.... so yeah, homework was more of a requirement than an option, although i did get by not doing it in certain classes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:14 am 
Huffs Nooch

Up until the age of 14 I wouldn't even consider not doing my homework. If I accidentally forgot I would be so ashamed and get bad anxiety. Then around that age I became severely depressed and just gave up on everything incl. sports and school. I pretty much only studied the month before exams throughout secondary school and college. It is a miracle that my grades were so high. Now I'm in uni and still suffer from bouts of depression and very low self-esteem and self-efficacy, doing a degree in psychology, and the pattern more or less continues. I never get through the entire curriculum. I am so lucky to be a fast learner, so I somehow always get through with ok grades anyway, but I do feel bad about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:23 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I wouldn't say flat-out 'no'... I mean, I feel like you can't just NEVER do your homework and also graduate... which I did (barely). But I was definitely a huge slacker, I would only do what homework assignments seemed fun to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

I did. I don't see how you couldn't unless you passed by the bare minimum. Some teachers would check homework and make it part of your grade, some would give you extra credit at the end of the semester if you turned in your notebook, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always did my homework, unless I forgot*. Even when I "rebelled" (or when I was really depressed), I basically just did it half-assed (for example, instead of writing a half-page paragraph of a definition with examples and such, I just wrote a couple of lines). Along the same lines, I was in band and I practiced at home.

*The one time I forgot was the first and only time I got detention, and I was a junior.

Last edited by rachell37 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I discovered in the 3rd grade, when I was sick* and missed some work, that nothing bad happened when I didn't write a paper about fish. I didn't care, my parents didn't care (i've established that I had shitty parents, right?), rarely did I get a teacher who cared (and if the teacher actually rode my asparagus about it I would do my homework, but only for that class). I decided school was boring so I just read all day long, which is something I did all the way until high school.

*actually my brother got the stomach flu and I didn't want to go to school either, so I faked it. This was the height of my being a childhood evil mastermind.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh man, I did my homework for less than 50% of high school. mostly I was a fork up until maybe the beginning of my junior year? from freshman-jr year I just did enough to pass classes, which mostly entailed showing up. I cleaned up my act in general at the end of my sophomore year and actually did homework/studied up through first semester of senior year. once I got in to college in the spring of senior year I stopped doing any work at all for high school classes and still skated by with a 4.0

I think as a young teenager I was just annoyed by the experience of high school, I felt incredibly trapped in the format, I could feel hours of my life being wasted completely due to inefficient learning situations. I was one of those crassholes who picked things up really quickly and then got so frustrated while the rest of the class was learning that I would just fork off to the edge of campus and smoke american spirits with the rest of the fork ups for the rest of the class. and tbh until I was like 16 my life outside of school was such a mess I didn't have time to think about homework anyway.

college is a totally different story, i've been putting my nose to the proverbial grindstone in every educational setting since I started opting in to educational systems that I have to pay for.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Always. I am an uber keener super nerd. I did the IB program in high school, so it probably helped that I found the homework useful and interesting, not just "make work" stuff. Sometimes I wonder what I would have done with all my time in high school if I hadn't worked so hard, but then I remember that that is the reason I don't have a mountain of student debt right now (scholarships).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I stopped doing homework in maybe 4th grade. I'd just hide it from my parents and then the teachers would get mad, but i'd pass all my tests, so nothing bad ever happened because of that. then in jr high and high school i figured out how to do what I needed to do to get the grades I wanted. Even in college and grad school, if I realized that skipping an assignment wasn't going to hurt my grade and I thought it was busy work or generally pointless I wouldn't do it. I'm pretty good at figuring out the system and doing exactly what I need to to get an A or a B or whatever grade I want. If I really didn't care about the class I was fine getting a C and then i'd hardly do anything.

I had a psych 101 class in college where in the last 10 minutes of class the teacher would say that we could either leave right now or do an extra credit assignment. I stayed every day and did the extra credit and I ended up having an A+ even without taking the final. So I skipped the final.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

booberthefraggle wrote:
college is a totally different story, i've been putting my nose to the proverbial grindstone in every educational setting since I started opting in to educational systems that I have to pay for.

Same happened to me! At university, I was totally back on track did ALL my homework, kept up with the readings, was totally disciplined. I just think I needed to get through whatever I needed to get through and got back on track.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

And when I say I went "rebellious" I think I was actually very depressed and it went unrecognized for what it was.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I always did my homework, because I was a big old nerd who lived in fear of getting anything less than an A-. But it never struck me as being "optional" regardless.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Put me in the nerd corner. I actually liked doing homework. But then, from 2nd through 12th grade I was lucky enough to go to a school for smart kids with social problems and I loved the atmosphere there that challenged me not to learn things by rote but how to think.

I slacked off a bit in college mainly because I felt pretty directionless and didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, so it was hard to get as excited about what I was doing. I still did all my homework, but didn't always put as much effort in, especially when a class didn't really spark my interest, so my grades went up and down a bit. When I went back to school in my mid-thirties (for a new BA and an MA), I was totally gung ho for what I was doing and not only did all my homework, but really went for the top grades I could get.

I'm a total nerd, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was a total nerd too, and would have been horrified to not do my homework. I would try to pass off like I was a slacker to feel cool and tell people that I totally didn't study AT ALL, but it was a total lie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nerd here. In high school I was in the AP classes so there was an element of competition amongst us nerds, the looming prospect of college (get a B and go to an inferior college and not get a good job and not make any money and end up homeless, AAAAAHHH!) and the teachers were so much more engaged that you didn't want to disappoint them almost? I don't mean to touch on a nerve here, but I noticed a big difference in my teachers between the AP classes and the regular classes, even if it was the same teacher. In the regular classes if no one participated the teacher would just kind of be defeated and give up, while no way was that flying in AP. I always felt bad for the teachers when none of the students seemed to give a shiitake. I realized then it had to be really hard to teach people who didn't want to learn, as obvious as that sounds.

That said, when I started to get burned out and graduation was nearing and truthfully there was a lot of other stuff going on in my life, I relied heavily on Cliff's Notes and always made sure I missed Chemistry test day so I could take the makeup test by myself with an open book.

In college and grad school I worked my asparagus off to maintain a perfect GPA. (See thought process about bad/no job, being homeless, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like how you guys think doing homework = nerdy. I was definitely never cool and was raised to be a nerd.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've always done my homework, all the way through all of my schooling. I felt ultimate shame otherwise. Also, I liked getting good grades, and homework is graded.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:56 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

amandabear wrote:
I always did my homework, because I was a big old nerd who lived in fear of getting anything less than an A-. But it never struck me as being "optional" regardless.

I never thought of it as being optional but when they said it was it was like I suddenly realized that like..oh yeah, I probably could have not done any homework and gotten lower grades and passed with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We pretty much don't give homework because it's assumed kids will be unable to complete it and/or parents would complain.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I actually wish that I had done even better in high school (and this is coming from someone who graduated early/went to college while in high school) because it's really difficult to get into a really, really good college when you don't have all of this extra over the top stuff. I was the first to go to college and my family doesn't really care too much about college or education so whatever I did was out of purely intrinsic motivation but then there's all of this extra stuff I didn't realize I needed, and with my home life, I couldn't do it (extra curricular activities especially). I really wish that I had parents that could have driven me in the right direction but instead I found things out after the fact and/or by trial and error. What also limited me from a number of colleges was the fact that I had never taken the SAT's. I couldn't afford to take them and my mother didn't see any point in spending money for a test for me. My school also required that we buy extra books and supplies and again, my mother didn't see a point in spending money on education.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes. File me under anxious depressed perfectionist child with fear of authority figures.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I never really considered it optional either if it was actually for a grade. I slacked every now and then if I knew it wouldn't mess my grade up too badly to skip an assignment, or in those classes where it was sometimes collected and sometimes not, I'd take my chances. I had the highest ACT score in my senior class, but my GPA was only like 3.3 out of 4.0. Sooo... slackerish, but mostly good?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

almiratanner wrote:
Always. I am an uber keener super nerd. I did the IB program in high school, so it probably helped that I found the homework useful and interesting, not just "make work" stuff. Sometimes I wonder what I would have done with all my time in high school if I hadn't worked so hard, but then I remember that that is the reason I don't have a mountain of student debt right now (scholarships).

Fellow keener. I don't regret it. I was kind of rebellious in high school and people were always surprised when I won academic awards, but it really wasn't that hard to be both the kid in the smoker's pit and the kid winning the French and Language Arts awards.