| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:30 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Aaand finished race #2 (another 5-miler) this weekend in extremely hot, humid weather. WHY do they start the races at 9am and not at least an hour earlier?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm glad you guys are talking about the heat because Louisiana summer heat just handed my asparagus to me. I was pitifully dying on the side of the road in 93 degree heat after running for about 20 minutes and hating myself until I realized my body wasn't sucking, my brain was malfunctioning to think that was a good idea in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:22 pm 

I'm such a wimp in the summer. Honestly, if I hadn't paid for these races and wanted to finish them to qualify for next year's NYC Marathon, I'd avoid them altogether. I was miserable. I normally don't stop at water stations for races 10K and shorter, but I think I would've collapsed if I hadn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm 

I just looked at my pace record on NYRR's website and it is hilarious how my pace is dictated by the weather getting hotter and hotter. I've been consistently slower with each race.

In sequential order, starting in April:
9:41/mile
9:49/mile
10:14/mile
10:37/mile
10:44/mile
11:11/mile
11:24/mile (today)

Good job, nature.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ran/walked a 2.8 mi loop today and Tuesday. It's been such a mood booster for me. Wish I could run when I'm feeling down at work!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:16 am 

Good to see you back SD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did it! I did it! I RAN 5K!! I didn't stop! I wanted to die and vomit but I did it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wtg Nebraska!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks!

This may be a weird question...but what do you do after running 5k? Keep running 5k? Run for 30 minutes a week? I feel a bit lost without a goal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Nebraskalaska, that is awesome! I have an acquaintance who now has a 10K trainer app, maybe you could try that? I'm wondering the same thing, though, really. I have my 5K/obstacle run in a month and I don't really think I'm ever going to want to run further than that (even, like, 8 weeks into training, I still feel like I'm going to die after 25 minutes of running). I'll probably stick with running 30 minutes/3 times a week and maybe intensify my yoga and pilates training if I feel like I need to be doing more.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks! I think I'm going to work on getting faster and more comfortable at 5k before I start training for a 10k. I might do two 30 min runs a week and 1 longer 5k on the weekends (right now it takes me about 45 minutes). I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it...but oh well! I definitely want to be doing 10k by next summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Congrats Nebraskaalaska!

I'm off of running this week due to my IT band syndrome flaring up. :( I'm foam rolling like a mofo!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

Where you go from a 5k depends on what grabs you. You can work on getting faster or running further, or both. Or neither if you're so inclined. If you're interested in adding speed, try some faster intervals during one of your 30 minute runs each week. Maybe try doing four 1-minute intervals at a faster pace to start with. Runner's World has some training calculators available online where you can plug in your current time for a given distance (45 minutes for a 5k, for example) and it will tell you what your long run training pace should be, and what your tempo pace should be. Tempo runs, even when they start with very short tempo intervals, are what helps you learn to feel comfortable at a bit faster pace and your 5k time will start to reflect that. Congrats on hitting that milestone! (Or is it kilometerstone?)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 am 

allularpunk wrote:
Nebraskalaska, that is awesome! I have an acquaintance who now has a 10K trainer app, maybe you could try that? I'm wondering the same thing, though, really. I have my 5K/obstacle run in a month and I don't really think I'm ever going to want to run further than that (even, like, 8 weeks into training, I still feel like I'm going to die after 25 minutes of running). I'll probably stick with running 30 minutes/3 times a week and maybe intensify my yoga and pilates training if I feel like I need to be doing more.

Nice one Nebraskalaska!
I never thought I'd run more than a mile, then I was happy with getting to 5k. After that I was happy for a while but then I wanted a new challenge. I ended up getting up to running for an hour. I've been happy with this distance for now but I realise that I will probably get the urge to do more at some point. It helps to keep you motivated. Either trying to increase speed or distance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, congrats on getting to 5k! Adding in hills is another way to do intervals. It's kind of fun, if you like the feeling of kicking your own butt. Find a hill that seems challenging but do-able, then run up and jog slowly down, repeat as many times as you can handle.

Do you usually run on pavement? If you have access to trails that's another fun way to do something a little different.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:53 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Thanks, all! Today I did a 30 min run on the pavement. It was harder than my 5k because there were a lot more hills, but I shaved off a lot of time and ran my fastest mile. Yay! running!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you're an Oatmeal fan and you run, you will most likely really appreciate this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Joining this thread I think. Started running again after a 3 year break a couple weeks back. Ran 4 miles in 35 minutes today which is probably the farthest and fastest I've done in my life (pathetic, yes but I'm proud of me!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm 

zwingtip wrote:
Joining this thread I think. Started running again after a 3 year break a couple weeks back. Ran 4 miles in 35 minutes today which is probably the farthest and fastest I've done in my life (pathetic, yes but I'm proud of me!)

Nice one & definitely not pathetic!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have taken up running again after 2.5 months off due to shin problems. It's so fun to be back, but obviously, I'm really out of shape again. When I had to take the break I had been running for almost two months and ran 10 K, and now 3 k makes me exhausted. I hope I can gain the shape quickly but also slowly to give my legs time to adjust this time.

Today I ran 2 k and then 6 hill intervals. We are in the middle of a heat wave, and my shorts was in the wash. Not fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:29 pm 

I have now run 9 races of the NYRR 9+1 2014 marathon qualification program. Now I just have to volunteer at a race, and I'm in for next year! Certain circumstances may not allow me to run this year's race, so I'm doing this as a backup just in case.

It was the Queens 10K today, which was really cool because I'd never been to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. We got to run around the Unisphere! The world's fair nerd in me leapt with glee. SO hot, though. Seriously, I will be reconsidering signing up for so many summer races next year. Racing in the heat is the worst.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Awesome alice! I really like running fall races, but then you have to train in the summer and that's not always great. Spring races mean you have to train in the cold weather. So I'm not sure which is better. I was thinking about it today when I was grocery shopping for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I ran 5k on the hotel treadmill this morning. It was achingly boring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh man, treadmill running is the worst! I know someone who does marathon training on a treadmill and goes for 15 mile runs on that thing. HOW?! 10 minutes feels like an eternity!

I ran 4.5 miles this morning. My IT band is getting a bit better as long as I roll it out 2-3x a day and don't cross my legs ever. Not crossing my legs is hard though, it's such an ingrained behaviour for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Yay, Alice! Summer races totally suck. I did a 4-miler on Saturday and it was probably 80 when we started, plus sunny and pretty humid. It was a small town race with 34 runners and I won my age group! My age group had a total of three people. Still, I got a medal! And a $5 gift certificate to a farm stand, so I got some strawberries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 128  Next