| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rock Climbing!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I finally learned how to lead belay! One more session of practicing it I hope before I take the test. I bought a couple used crash pads last week and I'm excited to try them out tomorrow. We finally went outdoor top roping again last weekend. So much fun! It was a lot less scary than the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vegimator wrote:
I finally learned how to lead belay!

Yay! I don't mind lead climbing, but I'm still getting the hang of lead belaying (I've passed the test, but still feel like I'm on the steep part of the learning curve). Part of it is that I tend to belay for people who are ~1.5x my weight.

I haven't been climbing nearly enough. Next week, I'm going to institute a regimen that includes bouldering if I can't find a TR/lead partner. My normal climbing partners have all been unavailable and I let myself get lazy under the guise of "being busy".

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm having a hard time convincing my guy to climb outside with me. He's pushing himself more in the gym and I don't bring up the outside climbing much so maybe he'll feel ready soon. I got him to do a bit of bouldering with me this weekend, which was awesome!

And I found another lead climbing partner! So I can get more into that too. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yay for more lead climbing! I took the lead test last week but failed because i backstepped twice. My buddy who was teaching me never mentioned it though I would have figured it out if I hadn't watched any instructional videos or anything beforehand. Ah well. I'm trying again on Wednesday.

I watched the finals of touchstone bouldering series 8 in san francisco on saturday. It was awesome! I'd never seen climbers of that caliber competing live. There were a couple of amazing dynos that only one or two competitors could pull off. The winning guy and girl both came all the way from Colorado.

I managed my first (ugly) 5.11c/d last week! Hopefully I can do it properly soon. Maygles got her first (similarly ugly) 5.11b yesterday too!

We're going out of town this weekend but we're planning on an outdoor climb the weekend after, probably here.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Awesome for both of you for getting on the 5.11s!

That looks like a cool outdoor place... you'll have to report back! I'm going to try to get outdoors before the end of May, but there is so much planned for the month already!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

A new small outdoor place opened closer to me. I rode my motorcycle up there and checked it out. My climbing partner and I get off at 3 (both teachers) and it is about an hour from us. So I might try and sneak in a day after work this week. Just need to get the waiver signed and submitted.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:05 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

My boyfriend and I have started going to the gym to climb with the rope instead of just for bouldering. I learned climbing outside on the rocks with the rope, so I don't have a problem with that, but I don't really like the indoor part. On the other hand I like bouldering indoor much better than outside, so... Anyway, more fun!

Question to the group: why don't we ask to move this thread in the Exercise sub forum? It makes no sense to have it in the General Health and Nutrition. What do you say?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Anek wrote:
My boyfriend and I have started going to the gym to climb with the rope instead of just for bouldering. I learned climbing outside on the rocks with the rope, so I don't have a problem with that, but I don't really like the indoor part. On the other hand I like bouldering indoor much better than outside, so... Anyway, more fun!

I'm the same way... prefer outside with ropes and indoor for bouldering. I still haven't convinced my boyfriend to go outside yet though. He's "not ready" which I keep telling him is BS. Now that his car is fixed I'm going to push harder for it! I have all the gear so it's silly to keep paying to go to the gym.

I'll ask the mods to move it. I didn't realize there was an exercise sub-forum when I started the thread (I never go there).

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went trad climbing on the weekend in the Peak District and it was so much fun! I've not been climbing in over a year anyway (I've mostly done sport climbing in the past) and had forgotten the excitement and challenge of going on rock.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Imogen wrote:
I went trad climbing on the weekend in the Peak District and it was so much fun!

How fun! I'd love to climb trad but the gear is too expensive for me right now. I should probably do more outdoor sport climbing before getting into trad anyway!

I got a newbie on the wall at the climbing gym today. She did a bunch of auto-belay climbs and tried some bouldering. She's a runner and liked the change in workout! It's fun to see the excitement the first time someone makes it to the top of the wall!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had my first outdoor sport climb on Sunday! It was an easy 10c that I top roped first but it felt good. I also finally got lead certified in the gym. We're going outdoor climbing again this weekend at Mount Saint Helena. There will be more sport climbing which is exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Made it to the gym today... I really need to get back to more than 1x a week. It was great, but by the time I was warmed up and climbing strong, my boyfriend/wknd climbing partner was tired and ready to go home. I talked him into belaying me for a bit longer and doing 3 climbs without breaks was good for me!

I managed to scrape up almost all of the knuckles on one hand and half of them on the other today. It's sore... only a few bled, but they are all tender. A climbing injury I've never had before... not sure how I scraped the back of my hands on the wall when I fell off of it (on the 2nd move of the climb).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Pi. wrote:
Made it to the gym today... I really need to get back to more than 1x a week. It was great, but by the time I was warmed up and climbing strong, my boyfriend/wknd climbing partner was tired and ready to go home. I talked him into belaying me for a bit longer and doing 3 climbs without breaks was good for me!

I managed to scrape up almost all of the knuckles on one hand and half of them on the other today. It's sore... only a few bled, but they are all tender. A climbing injury I've never had before... not sure how I scraped the back of my hands on the wall when I fell off of it (on the 2nd move of the climb).

Taped up hands, always the sign of a hardcore climber. It is weird some of the bruises, scrapes, etc that we get.
I got in a few outdoor climbs on Sunday. Rode my motorcycle on some nice twisty roads and I was close to The Gunks, so I texted some friends who were climbing, found out where they were, so rode over parked, and hiked to them. Got on two ropes and then headed home.
385 miles on the bike, maybe a three mile hike and two climbs, not a bad Sunday. Hit the gym last night and did not have a lot of stamina, but was able to complete a climb that has kicked my butt a few other times I tired it. Also flashed a route that gave me trouble before. It felt good, but I had nothing left after those two and fumbled for the rest of the afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sounds like a fun Sunday, Rich! Sorry to hear about your hand, Pi.

It looks like I lost my main climbing partners, so probably no outdoor climbing for me for a while. I'm still bouldering though. I got my first two V5s over the weekend! Hopefully that wasn't luck and I can get another one today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow, V5S... awesome vegimator! I'd like to work up to that over the late summer/autumn. I probably won't boulder until August.

I finally made it back to the climbing gym, it had been 2 weeks! I ran last Sunday (instead of climbing, bad idea) and have had terrible calf pain (both legs) since then so I took it easy and stuck to 5.10s today. I was starting to feel pretty good about 2 hours in, but then my partner was ready to leave.
There is a fun 6-week team league/competition thing at our gym starting 7/1 so I'm trying to get people to sign up for that. I'll be gone 2 of the weeks, but they take your 4 best scores out of 6, so it works well! I'm hoping that it will keep my dude climbing with other people while I'm gone and will motivate me to push myself harder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks, Pi! For the record, I haven't managed to finish any new V5s since then, but I did at least redo those two. I had to take most of last week off after I took a crack climbing class. My tape gloves fell apart pretty fast and I was bleeding all over the place by the end of class. It was super fun, but I really need to do a better job making gloves next time!

That league sounds fun. I hope it motivates you and your dude!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Went to Trieste for the weekend and took my boyfriend climbing after he was "on hold" for 6 weeks due to his hurt foot. All went well! We only climbed really easy routes (although he tried some hard ones), which at the end is what I like sometimes... just going up a wall, in the sunshine, enjoying the view and not having to worry about falling/focusing on hard movements/concentration. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Climbing on the Italian coast- I'm so jealous! I bet that was quite a view.

I finally climbed my first (gym) 5.12a yesterday! It was super ugly, but now that I know how to do it, I don't think it would be that hard to redo it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ahh... I want to climb in Italy! So awesome!

Yay vegimator! It will be so much easier next time, that's awesome. 5.12s are so satisfying! I can't wait until I can do a 5.13 (it's going to be a long while).

We got our league team going and I have to brag. It was fun seeing my friends who don't usually push themselves try hard! J1 rarely climbs (she's a runner) and usually takes lots of breaks on her way up the wall, but did five 5.7s and a 5.8 without stopping/falling. J2 busted out a 5.9 then was tired and fell on her other climbs (I think she was still doing 5.9s), she's only climbed once in the past year and will go back later this week to get her other 4 climbs in for scoring. S (my guy) did three 5.9s and 2 5.8s without falling, he usually won't push through when his arms start to get tired so it's a good improvement... I paired him up with J2 and I think it helped him to climb with someone who isn't me. He should be able to do a 5.10, maybe next week. Anyway, I think everyone was pleased with their climbs and I'm looking forward to seeing how well we all climb at the end of this 6 weeks league thing. (I put down for one 5.11 and four 5.10s, I fell on the other 5.11s and I fell once on the 5.12, grr, I'll get it next time).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sounds like the league is going great Pi! I'd love to be a part of something like that. It must be exciting to see your partner improving like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I missed a few weeks of climbing since I was out of town. Made it back today! I wasn't as out of shape as I expected, powered up a few 5.10s (without falling and a bunch more with a fall) and did a ton of 5.9s. I expect to be back on 5.11s by the end of the week. I really missed climbing. Next time I travel, I'm taking my gear with me (I could have climbed if I'd had it this last trip).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Heading to Seneca Rocks, WV for some climbing either Sunday or Monday. Looking forward to it. Been mostly riding motorcycles but go to the gym here and there this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've been riding back and forth to the gym to climb! I haven't been able to coordinate with anyone to do outdoor climbing (people and their jobs, meh).

I did a 5.12 today! My fingertips are a mess from it, but I hadn't done a 12 in a long while so I'm pleased. I only fell twice so I think that means I need to start doing way more 5.12s and maybe try any 5.13s that I can find.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I went rock climbing twice in July; it was awesome! My body felt so strong and comfortably sore afterwards. Two instructor/friends took me, but now I have to do the course and I don't know if I have enough $$ for it since I'm going to be going Dk (I hope!) to see this duuuuuuuude I like so much. ALSO, and unrelatedly, I forgot how awesome the ridge trails in the Tatra Mountains are: you have to boulder for 2 hours as you drop into Poland and Slovakia. So awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Adding ridge trails in the Tatra Mountains to my travel list!

I climbed 4 times this week and pushed hard each day... climbed 5.10-5.12 (ok, I only did two 5.12s) and then bouldered after I got tired of TR (V0-V2, although I managed one well chosen V3 because it was one that suited my climbing style). Every muscle I have hurts! I thought I'd get 2 days off, but I found out today that I'm going to Rumney on Saturday and I'm super excited for that! My guy is going to go with me and do his first outdoor climbing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next