| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BART strike!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am 
Lime and a Coconut

We need a BART strike thread! How is everyone coping? I've spent the last two nights at my boyfriend's house, and I was hoping not to impose on him again tonight, but that's how it's looking so far today... I don't even want to mess with AC transit or the ferry (I work in North Beach and live in Berkeley).

Actually, I just wanted an excuse to post this article: BART Strike: Another Instance of Media Portraying Workers as Greedy | The Nation http://www.thenation.com/blog/175063/bart-strike-another-instance-media-portraying-workers-greedy#ixzz2XuGwPRkt

As the child of a union worker (and a former employee of a labor union myself) I support workers' right to strike whenever and wherever, regardless of whether it's convenient (although I also reserve my right to bisque and moan, slightly). I know there are a lot of great things I had growing up (like health care!) that I wouldn't have enjoyed if my dad didn't have collective bargaining behind him. Reading about the BART strike and the major safety issues at play, I'm also reminded that I still have my dad because of his union. He was a firefighter for 33 years, and I fully believe that if it weren't for the safety measures his and other unions continue to push and implement, he may not have survived to see retirement.

Apropos, this is my favorite part of the above article, which itself is quoting the LA Times:

Quote:
Wayne Phillips did everything but swim as he struggled to get to his tech job in this city’s Financial District on Monday morning.

His usual smooth ride on a Bay Area Rapid Transit train was derailed by the system’s first strike in 16 years. So Phillips drove from the East Bay city of Concord to Oakland. He stood in a “quarter-mile-long” line for a ferry. Then he gave up and jumped on his own boat, a 30-foot Bayliner named Lovin’ Life.

Sooooo frustrating when I have to take my yacht out of storage to commute.

Post subject: Re: BART strike!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Sooooo frustrating when I have to take my yacht out of storage to commute.

HA!

I'm on the east coast, so I'm not affected by the strike at all (so take anything i say with a grain of salt). But I have a bazillion friends in the Bay Area and my Facebook feed has been swamped with posts about it-- ranging from support, anger at the "greedy" strikers, and general "Uh, I'm totally stranded. Who can give me a ride?"

From over here, I gotta say that it's a little amusing.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I saw that article about the boat too! Must be nice!

It certainly seems like the media is portraying workers as greedy, and I'm kind of surprised to see that in Bay Area news sources! They keep going on about how generous their pay is already (the average worker is making $83k, not paying into their pension, and pays $92/mo for medical benefits) and I have to say, that sounds awfully nice. They're doing a good job of making me (and many other people I'm sure!) feel pangs of jealousy. Instead of focusing on what BART employees already get and pitting us against each other, I wish they would focus more on how everyone deserves a better standard of living. Just being I'm getting paid shiitake doesn't mean I should deny anyone else the chance to make a decent living. Also, I'm kind of disgusted that the news articles are pretty much ignoring the safety concerns. I had to go find a Mother Jones piece to even find out the details.

I also still reserve my right to bisque and moan. I've had to change the way I get to work, which means taking a different bus system that doesn't rely on BART, which means starting work at 6 am so I have enough time to get stuff done before my 6 pm bus arrives. That's not too bad, but my husband now has to drive from Fremont to Mountain View, take the Cal Train into SF, then take light rail to the embarcadero. It is taking him 2 hours to get to work now, which totally sucks. I just hope this gets resolved by next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

couroupita wrote:
It certainly seems like the media is portraying workers as greedy, and I'm kind of surprised to see that in Bay Area news sources! They keep going on about how generous their pay is already (the average worker is making $83k, not paying into their pension, and pays $92/mo for medical benefits) and I have to say, that sounds awfully nice. They're doing a good job of making me (and many other people I'm sure!) feel pangs of jealousy. Instead of focusing on what BART employees already get and pitting us against each other, I wish they would focus more on how everyone deserves a better standard of living.

Exactly- I think the figures quoted by actual BART staff are closer to $68,000 per year, which is still a good salary, but definitely on the low end if you're supporting a family here in the Bay Area. I hate this value judgment that's attached to their salary- they're perfectly entitled to ask for a standard-of-living wage increase (which BART management's offer does not cover) commensurate with the higher cost of living we experience here, and most definitely commensurate with the increased revenues BART has been seeing in the past several years.

For me, one of the big sticking points is that four years ago, the unions gave up $100 million in concessions to help the agency survive the recession. $100 million! It's time to pay back the workers that kept the trains running during tough economic times!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You hear this a lot about teachers. I mean, *gasp* teachers with masters degree who have to pay for continuing education to keep their licenses and don't work summers might get paid FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Basically, everybody thinks that everybody else should make less than they do, and everybody thinks everybody else's job is easy/not worth much.

One would think that the inconvenience of having transit interrupted (for any reason) would make people appreciate those services more. DC metro is nice, but limited, and costs an absolute fortune unless your employer helps subsidize.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:32 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

lavawitch wrote:
Basically, everybody thinks that everybody else should make less than they do, and everybody thinks everybody else's job is easy/not worth much.

This. Everyone is so focused on how much the workers make, but nobody is outraged that managers and executives earn five times as much. Especially Dorothy Duggar, a General Manager who retired in May 2011 but had a backlog of 80 weeks of vacation time and other such cushy bonuses and managed to pull a $333,000 salary in 2012 despite not working a day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I say union, you say yes. I supported the MTA strike in the oughts even though it made getting around more difficult for me. It isn't about me.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But even if it is about you, happy transit workers and a well run system mean better transportation for everybody, even if not that particular day. So even the selfish argument kind of fails.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
So even the selfish argument kind of fails.

the selfish argument usually does.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 am 
Lime and a Coconut

After three nights at my boyfriend's, I finally took the bus home today. I was really worried but it ended up being okay. There were only half a dozen people who had to stand on the bus and the traffic was okay. It's nice to finally be home.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:34 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
After three nights at my boyfriend's, I finally took the bus home today. I was really worried but it ended up being okay. There were only half a dozen people who had to stand on the bus and the traffic was okay. It's nice to finally be home.

Six people standing on a bus is just a normal day in Albany.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
We need a BART strike thread! How is everyone coping?

We live in Oakland and my sweetheart usually takes a Transbay bus in - Wednesday morning after waiting almost two hours and being passed up by two full buses a work from home day was declared. Working from home really isn't the standard at my sweetheart's job, so I'm not really sure what will happen Monday!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's over!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Service should be back up this afternoon (around 3) and the current contact is extended until August 4 - so I guess we'll we'll see what happens then!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

FYI, official BART recommendation if you plan on taking a Transbay bus tomorrow morning is to be on a bus by 5 a.m.

I caught a 7.30 Transbay this morning and it was more crowded than usual; perhaps people were just trying alternate modes of transport.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I spent last night at my boyfriend's in the city and am getting a ride home with a co-worker this evening. If this stretches in Monday I don't know what the hell I'll do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It sounds like they're arguing about trivial stuff now. Pay stubs? I know these work rules represent issues bigger than pay stubs but it's tough not to be irritated. My partner commutes from fremont to soma and driving or taking caltrain is a 2-2.5 hour endeavor. So, not sure what he's going to do. First world problem (can't remember the ppk acronym), we were going to meet up with friends tonight for dinner and dancing for my bday but there's no way I'm going to drive to sf at 5 pm. It would take forever. I'm a little grumpy about that while acknowledging that it's a minor issue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

The tough part is that they're technically not supposed to talk about what they're negotiating. Management has repeatedly broken the gag order to give their side of the story to the press, so I'm always skeptical about what is really at issue unless I hear both sides.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

There are safety issues involved, I think.

http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2013/ ... 31018.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ah! I didn't know they weren't allowed to talk about it! That explains a lot.

I keep hearing the safety concerns are a front. I don't really know what to believe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

http://m.ktvu.com/news/news/local/two-k ... ain/nbSQ6/

Holy shiitake. I knew this was bound to happen. Namely, because it has happened before, and because safety measures are said to be one of the biggest sticking points between the union and the management. Then BART announced they would be training managers to act as interim train operators in the case f another strike (which is now happening)? It seems outrageously arrogant to me to dismiss workers' safety concerns and furthermore assume their jobs can't be all that hard.

It's so tragic and to me underscores the point that if the people who use the equipment that hurtles me through a sub-oceanic concrete tunnel at 70 mph every day say they need safety improvements, I say what the hell is there to negotiate?!

Typed from an AC transit bus slowly crawling across the Bay Bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:53 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have my boyfriend's car to drive to Oakland for the next few days, but he needs it on Wednesday. I'm really, really hoping that BART will be back up and running by then, because otherwise I'm in a pickle.

I feel guilty about my occasional flashes of resentment to BART workers--they start at over $20k more than I get with a master's degree, so I feel a little sulky that my union is such a damn pushover--but I want them to have a decent standard of living and safety on the job. I'm just sullen because I wish my union had balls like theirs does, and I hate being inconvenienced. I have to put it in perspective, and I'm just glad that I'm still able to do that. I hope I never become someone who loses perspective entirely, instead of just in moments!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

The unions just submitted a last-second counter-offer in the hopes of having the strike over by tomorrow. I doubt it will happen, but it's an extremely well-played move on their part. It shows goodwill towards the negotiations and towards the concerns of commuters. I'm sure it undoubtedly references yesterday's tragedy, overtly or not, in reminding the management that the safety rules really are kind of non-negotiable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am hoping that it works out!

I left work pretty promptly after the last bell (usually I stay and do paper work and whatnot till 5:30 or 6) and was on the road by about 4:15, hoping to avoid traffic. It was okay west bound, but HOLY MOLY. East bound 80 and all the streets toward the freeway in SF are a nightmare. Never have I been so thankful for a reverse commute!

I really hope that things can ironed out soon and the unions are able to get their needs met!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

They just went into talks about two hours ago, and sources are saying they're hoping to reach an agreement by 6pm in order to have trains running for tomorrow's commute. Fingers crossed! Management would be idiots not to concede the safety rules at this point.

ETA: This is a great piece that really sums up my feelings about this weekend's tragedy: http://m.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/blo ... &year=2013

Quote:
For months, some critics of the BART unions have contended that the transit agency’s workers hold relatively unskilled positions, are overpaid, and do not deserve raises. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that BART workers who go on strike should be fired and could be easily replaced.

Saturday’s fatalities offer compelling proof that such arguments are bogus — particularly when it comes to BART train drivers. The crash makes it crystal clear that BART train operators hold important jobs that require extensive training and skill. After all, the agency’s drivers hold the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in their hands each day. And this fact should been obvious all along.

The fact that these are the sixth and seventh people to be killed on the job in BART's entire 40+ year history (and knowing of at least two other BART employee fatalities in the past couple of years), it really speaks to the declining safety standards the management is willing to embrace in order to have higher profits.