| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's new in Chicago vegan food?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:44 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I used to live in Chicago, but I moved away in 2010. I'm going for a visit this summer and I'm wondering if any new vegan (or exceptionally vegan-friendly) eateries have popped up since then? Or if any of the ones that have been around for a while have gotten better/worse? What are the do-not-misses these days?

Post subject: Re: What's new in Chicago vegan food?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 am 
Nooch of Earl

When I was there last month I ate at Ground Control in Logan Square. I'm not sure when it opened, but it is both vegan friendlier and better/more creative than a lot of the veg places I've been. (Don't get me started on Mana) I had the vegan jibarito, which didn't super impress me, but their asian tofu wings and southern fried tofu were delicious.

There are also a few new outposts of Native Foods..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:09 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh, and there's a new location of the Vegetarian Diner in Bucktown as well. I haven't tried it. I should go back there, I haven't been for about a decade and from the sound of things it's improved dramatically.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I was going to mention all the ones annak did - I eat at the Logan Square Chicago Diner all the time since it's less than a mile from my house; it's a lot of the same menu as the original location, but some new things have been added and some have been changed a little, like a lot of the sandwiches are panini-style unless they have the "classic" version as one of their specials.

When I went to Ground Control, the two friends I went with got the Jiba-gringo version of the jibarito and neither of them left feeling very impressed- I really liked my asian bbq sandwich though! Although I felt like it was not quite a big enough serving. I usually bike at least 60-80 miles a week though, so I'm generally a really hungry person; maybe it would be ok portions for normal people.

Not sure if Urban Vegan and Quesadilla were around in 2010? They're both just ok- I've eaten at both of them several times but neither of them are my favorite. I'd rather go to Yummy Yummy for greasy Americanized Asian food, and I'd rather go eat tacos at El Faro than eat a Daiya smothered thing at Quesadilla, even though El Faro is way farther from my house and doesn't have vegan cheese as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Have any of you spent the billion dollars to eat the vegan food at Next?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:33 pm 

No! I just saw the review in the reader and was like, well maybe I'd spend a whole bunch of money for vegan Next....then I read the less than glowing review and thought about how much it would actually cost for me and my sweetie to go there, and realized I'd way rather just take a week off work or go on a nice mini-vacation instead of spend that much on a meal. I think maybe my limit for a fancy meal splurge once every few years is like $100 per person.

That said I'm super curious and would love for some nice rich person to take me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

LazySmurf wrote:
Have any of you spent the billion dollars to eat the vegan food at Next?

I'm going in August! One of my friends snagged tickets and I decided it would be worth it. I'll definitely report back to the PPK.

Jenn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Upton's Breakroom is opening later this month and there will be a grand opening party on August 10th. I work there as the baker.

I've been meaning to try Ground Control. I liked the novelty of ordering anything off the menu at Urban Vegan, but Thai restaurants are so vegan-friendly anyway, and there are other places I prefer. The sauce on the dish I ordered was overly sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 am 

AutumnVegan, that is awesome! I didn't know that there was going to be an Upton's cafe. This is only a few blocks out of my way home from work, too! I hope there will be delicious weekend brunch offerings, my sweetie and I love going out for Sunday brunches but we've been eating way too much at the Chicago Diner since the Logan Square branch opened up. I'm ready to change things up a little. You should update us on what the best dishes are once the menu is made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:51 am 
Nooch of Earl

AutumnVegan wrote:
Upton's Breakroom is opening later this month and there will be a grand opening party on August 10th. I work there as the baker.

I've been meaning to try Ground Control. I liked the novelty of ordering anything off the menu at Urban Vegan, but Thai restaurants are so vegan-friendly anyway, and there are other places I prefer. The sauce on the dish I ordered was overly sweet.

Upton's opening a restaurant!!! That is so awesome. I'll have to go there on my next visit back. I wish it were closer to the blue line, as it's hard to get most of my Chicago friends to eat anywhere more than a couple blocks away from Milwaukee.

Also I just looked at the FB page and realized who you are IRL! I love your book! That makes this even more exciting news.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

AutumnVegan wrote:

Nice! It's sort of out of the way for me, but I'm going to try to go. :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far... there are definitely a few new places for me to try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'll be there this weekend! Anything even newer and more awesome that I should try?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Just an FYI, Upton's Breakroom just expanded their delivery zone. Which means you can now have vegan bacon mac delivered to the Map Room. So that = heaven.