| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nuclear medicine
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:35 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Like, full disclosure... they didn't even tell me why they are doing this really? Why do they do this, chums? What is it even for? Basically I saw this consultant dude and he was all like that teacher in frickin' Charlie Brown or whatever. Bwah bwah, Bhwah blergh bwah blah. Or some shiitake.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

interrobang?! wrote:
Like, full disclosure... they didn't even tell me why they are doing this really? Why do they do this, chums? What is it even for? Basically I saw this consultant dude and he was all like that teacher in frickin' Charlie Brown or whatever. Bwah bwah, Bhwah blergh bwah blah. Or some shiitake.

They are checking you for CIA-controlled nanorobots

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

you might have a microfracture or other bone problem that won't show up on an x-ray because it's too small or because it's hidden by other anatomical features or something like that. nuclear medicine can reveal an injury that other imaging won't catch, because all you're looking at is the relative density of the bound isotope. even if the area would look normal on an x-ray, the increased cell turnover and blood flow from any injury will cause more of the isotope to collect in that injured spot, and it'll show up on film as a higher-activity area relative to normal tissue. so it's still just a diagnostic test like other radiology procedures, but it's a step up in terms of sensitivity. they start with simpler stuff because, you know, why bother with all this nonsense if you can see what you need to see on an x-ray that takes two minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:

Oh, NHS. I love you even though you give me tests without telling me why or what they are or explaining the results, or even telling me anything other than the results were fine. Seriously, half the time they don't even want to tell me what my blood pressure is ("fine", "good", and "a bit high" don't count). But it's still better than US healthcare.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rachell37 wrote:
Oh, NHS. I love you even though you give me tests without telling me why or what they are or explaining the results, or even telling me anything other than the results were fine. Seriously, half the time they don't even want to tell me what my blood pressure is ("fine", "good", and "a bit high" don't count). But it's still better than US healthcare.
I was once told "everything came back negative" without being told what I was being tested for. But, whatever it was, I didn't have it!