| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-homing a cat...I need help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I fear that my dear oldish cat Kayla might need to be re-homed. She has gotten progressively miserable as she has gotten older. We have two other cats that are 1 and 2, she is 9. She wasn't happy alone so we adopted and now she isn't happy with company either. We have taken her to the vet so many times trying to figure out why she is so upset and stressed out. She went through a period where she was throwing up a lot but nothing was coming up except for clear liquid. The only thing it could be pinned on was stress. The doctors aren't suggesting meds for her and I don't want to see her on meds for the rest of her life just trying to cope.

Recently she has taken to secluding herself in one corner of the house in the kitchen. And this morning she peed on our bed. This is the first time she has ever acted out like this. It was 5:30 am and we were just waking up for the day. She normally sleeps in between us in the same spot every night and this morning she peed in her spot. Which would say she is being territorial over that area. And I understand, but she is so back and forth with the other cats that I can't figure out if it's just their presence or something more.

One minute she is bumping noses and sniffing them, eating two inches from them without issue, and sleeping in the same bed with them. And the next she is a hissing mess who runs away and is terrified of them, but really terrified of nothing. We have been watching all of the cats for months and the majority of all problems comes from her acting out first without being pushed at all.

I'm starting to feel like she might have a better life with another family but I don't want to put her in a shelter. She needs to be in a home with no other cats or animals and probably not children. She was acting out and snapping at us way before we had other cats, so this has been a long time coming. Does anyone have any advice for re-homing?

I am also concerned because we are planning to sell our house in the spring and move across the country and I don't think she will make the trip whether we drive or fly her. And our new place to live will most likely be a small apartment for a while which means she would be in close quarters with the other two cats and no where to hide. I don't want her to be miserable for the rest of her life. :o(

Post subject: Re: Re-homing a cat...I need help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:24 am 
WRETCHED

Would you consider reforming the younger cats instead? Also, is a cat behaviorist an option?

There is a tv show on animal planet that might have some useful tips
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have watched that show inside and out! And tried to adopt some of the things he advises. I know we aren't perfect by any means. And I admit that I'm overwhelmed at this point between living and getting all the things done and trying to help her, it's hard. Some of the things have worked but not all.

Calling for another vet appt this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have you tried Feliway? http://m.feliway.co.uk (not sure why it's the UK site) I find it helps the cats. I also find the Sentry calming collars helpful. I buy all that stuff on Amazon because it's way cheaper.

I would try medication before rehoming a cat - finding a home for a 9 year old cat is hard enough but especially if she has to be a solo cat. And she might not need to be on it forever - we've had cats on prozac before and usually they could taper off after a while. (I do cat rescue so I see a lot of problem kitties.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 am 
Semen Strong

I would call Pets for Life and ask them! It is 917-468-2938 and someone will help you figure out a solution! http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/ca ... em_solver/

Feliway and Rescue Remedy might be something to try too. http://www.feliway.us/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Urinating on a bed where the cat normally sleeps can also be the sign
of a UTI, or perhaps crystals in the urine. It's not always territorial marking.

I had a cat who had aggression problems that was a doll on Prozac. She pretty much became wonderful in just 48 hours. It was lifesaver for all of us. I adopted her with numerous health issues & aggression - re homing was not an option. She wouldn't have lasted a day in a shelter before nailing someone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ordered 4 Comfort Zone diffusers with Feliway plug ins. Thanks guys, I pray it helps!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Got and plugged them in. It's kind of working!

Kayla seems to be a smidgen happier, she is standing up for herself more, she's not hiding the corner nearly as much, and she has reclaimed the bed! But, she has still peed in the kitchen twice over the past few days right near the food bowls. I'm not really sure what that is about. I have a Feliway plug in right in that area and while it's helping with her mood I can't tell if she is bothered by the plug in being there or if she has just developed a need to "own" that area. This peeing thing is truly new for her and she has never expressed a liking to that area at all before. So I'm thinking its something about the food or the plug in?

I cleaned my house so hard yesterday and mopped all the floors taking extra special efforts with that area, so maybe she was also upset that I cleaned it. When I woke up this morning there was pee on the floor under the food bowls, like she peed on top of them.

I need to get more Natures Miracle to spray on the floor. I'm hoping that will help as well. But overall I am hopeful that the Feliway is working and maybe it's going to take her a few weeks until she feels better totally.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

How many litter boxes do you have for 3 cats? And is Kayla able to access any of them easily. Rule of thumb generally in a multi cat household is one litter box per cat and one spare, so 4 boxes in total.

Would still be a good idea to have her taken to the vet to rule out a urinary or bladder infection, as you say this is a new thing.

The longer this particular problem continues without a diagnosis, the reality of it is nobody will be able to live with this and she will be considered pretty much unadoptable. Please don't wait it out, especially if she does have a medical issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I assumed since the OP said she'd been to the vet many times a UTI had been ruled out? Especially since behavioral medication was mentioned and usually it isn't suggested unless physical issues are ruled out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

UTI's can happen anytime .. since the inappropriate urination is a new issue, it may not be
behavioral. Maybe, maybe not. Ideally its best to bring the cat into the vet to obtain a urine sample, with a culture being done. Even if the microscopic exam shows no bacteria - do a culture. One of my cats had no bacteria on the slide, but with her I automatically always had her urine cultured. The vet called and said - no, nothing found, I see you've paid for a culture as well. I said yes.. he said too bad you wasted your money. Well the culture was positive for e-coli!

If everything is negative... then it's probably another behavioral issue. If the cat has any pain during urination, they may start avoiding using the box for urination.

I wonder since the cat was in the kitchen a lot, if she was able to reach the litterboxes or felt threatened and avoided them. How many boxes, how often cleaned, has the litter been changed to a new product, was the cat possibly startled while in the litterbox and is now avoiding it. Questions.. questions..

Multi cat households and inappropriate peeing.... I've worked 17 years in vet clinics and
have had multiple cats (one of the 'downsides' of working for vets). A couple had medical issues with UTI's +/- crystals but didn't urinate outside the box. Had a couple of cats that did pee outside the box when something bothered them - no medical issues. Spoken to lots of folks about their situations. Seemed the majority wouldn't bring the cat to the vet until the problem was a few months old and intolerable. What starts in one area, escalates to other places.

It's not a good situation and given the OP was already wanting to rehome the cat, this is not looking good :( Nothing against the OP, I've just seen the same situation too many times before. The cat doesn't win in the end.