| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 am 
WELFARIST!

Woot, vijita!!! That's so awesome! I always hate everything I work on for a while after I work on it because it took SO MUCH WORK. Step back from it a while and maybe you can love it again! Congrats!!!! It's a ton of work and I have no doubt that it's supremely well done and you should be proud of yourself!!!! <3 <3 <3

I workshopped with my nephew yesterday and he gave me some awesome ideas for moving forward with my novel. In fact, I think he gave me a direction to move in to the ending. My sister says he is seriously stoked about my novel idea/premise and was talking excitedly to her about it after I left. Good sign! My nephew is awesome with story so he's really great to brainstorm story problems with.

He also read the short story (ghost story) I wrote in May and says he's never read anything like it before and it's a very original story but had some very minor criticisms: He doesn't like the opening sentence and says its overall lacking in atmospheric detail. For my part, I like the opening sentence and am not big on atmosphere-setting so tend to skip that in my own writing and focus on character detail. But it's always nice to hear impressions of your work from other readers. He had lots of praise otherwise and says he really loved it overall though which made me very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, good news, sv! Getting reader response & having someone to play ideas ping pong with is so awesome. Especially when you're stuck somewhere and don't know what to do with a plot / plot device / character to get more out of it.

Good luck, everyone - and, above all, have lots of fun! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Happy to get back to writing today.

Typed out a two-page detailed outline of ideas for where to go next in the novel. Have to incorporate some of the ideas into the 60,000 words already written, but I can do that next edit. Onward with the next 40,000 words to finish.

Looked at my disgruntled customer short story and it's not bad right now. Cutting much of the extraneous middle really helped--I don't need to assplain all this shiitake, just let it happen. Though I wonder if it's too abrupt as it stands. It's basically one long scene that transitions and then one shorter scene and then the shortest scene at the end which ends kind of flippantly but I like it? I dunno if it will stand but the story's not seeming like a total waste of time anymore, which is good. It's not as strong as the ghost story though in the final analysis and that's how it goes sometimes--when I was first working on this disgruntled customer idea I thought it was the considerably stronger of the two. Anyhoo, still workin' it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am 
WELFARIST!

Wrote just over 1000 words. Still revisiting the speed-dating scene and drawing that out. My nephew got a real kick out of that idea in particular when I discussed specific ideas from the book with him. I have a feeling I could base the entire novel on the speed-dating scene, in fact. A lot is coming out through it. I won't though. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just curious; what do you do when you don't feel satisfied with your writing? Do you ever stop writing? When's the longest you've gone for without writing?

also, do you prefer hand-writing to typing (via typewriter or computer)?

I am more likely to type my thoughts than hand-write them, but I feel much more productive having physically written something down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

fauxfrancais wrote:
Just curious; what do you do when you don't feel satisfied with your writing? Do you ever stop writing? When's the longest you've gone for without writing?

also, do you prefer hand-writing to typing (via typewriter or computer)?

I am more likely to type my thoughts than hand-write them, but I feel much more productive having physically written something down.

-When not satisfied with my writing I keep working it until I've exhausted the idea. Then, once reached the point of exhaustion and still dissatisfaction, it gets shelved. If something's still promising, I will take it out every so often and see if I can fix it. This can go on over the course of years. There is always some part of me that is perpetually dissatisfied, even when something works. I know I will never be one hundred percent satisfied with anything I can produce.

When something gets shelved, there's always something good in there that I can scavenge later and that will show up elsewhere. Maybe an image for a poem or a character idea or setting or the like. Even shelved stuff is never a waste of time. I've learned a new way in which I fail, sort of thing.

- Once I started writing regularly in 2008, I've never really stopped for more than taking a month's break from my regular schedule. And in that month, I still usually dabble in the writing, write some poems, try and resurrect old pieces that didn't work, etc.

- Since 2008, probably for one month or maybe six weeks of a break away from writing at most.

- I hand write all poems and don't think that will ever change. I prefer to hand write everything but once I started working on prose and longer pieces and especially contemplating a novel, handwriting became inconvenient so I started working on my laptop which was an adjustment but that's how I work in prose writing now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been remiss. I'll get to it when I get to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

SV, rollin' ever onward!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, panders. Because of you and seeing your comment, I opened the latest chapter of my novel and wrote one page today which doesn't meet my daily quota but it's one more page to add to my growing piles of pages on it (Since starting work on it in November 2011, I've created well over 100 files on it and maybe even close to 200 files on my laptop devoted to work on it). I'll be back into it soon! I've just not been feeling writing anything at all lately but breaks usually mean I dive back in with lots of energy and enthusiasm once I get my stride back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Hell yeah. I usually go through periods of making nothing and just thinking about the work and then work like a goddamn tornado on new things when it all comes together. I love it.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yep, currently tornadoing away at several pieces. Should definitely finish *something* in the next couple weeks. I'm just not sure whether it will be the big thing I'd originally planned to finish first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Creative tornadoes are the kind I like.

Looked through ALL my old poems today and am trying to spruce up a few and maybe submit them if they come out all right now, we'll see.

Submitted a Creative non-fiction piece I first started work on in 2010 today after editing it ever so slightly and reading it at least seven times before sending (it's already been well-worked over and I consider it finished--just a couple of tiny tweaks today) and am preparing what might be two different poetry submissions for particular theme calls.

Keep sticking my head in the novel and still have short stories on the brain, too.

It's impossible for me to stay away!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hah, yes, it's a disease (of the totally awesome kind).
Untangling notes for two different semi-gothic short stories - the better one of which will be submitted to a themed antho in autumn.
Writing ghost stories feels pretty cheesy to me, even if they have a twist... I kind of feel that everything has been done there already.
Well, at least I *love* my working titles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 am 
WELFARIST!

I know what you mean about writing ghost stories. I get this feeling when I write them "yegads is anyone gonna really buy this bidness," and of course they aren't going to buy it literally and I'm not trying to make anyone believe or anything and above all, I strive to entertain and I find ghost stories entertaining when I read them myself. They're fun to write and when you're having fun, I think it comes out in the work in sometimes an infectious way.

I feel like I NEVER read good ghost stories anymore--maybe because most of my short story reading is in Cdn literary anthologies and I don't see them represented at all or very, very seldom--which makes me sad. One of my earliest remembered pleasures in reading was from my brother reading us stories from The Fall Of the House of Usher. I say we write some good ones and cross-publish in genres that normally turn up their noses at ghost stories! <3 <3 <3

I'm actually conceptualizing something I've been thinking about, set in the Victorian era and the story's scenario arising around early photography. Definitely will have a strongly gothic feel to it. I've been turning it around in my mind for a while and yesterday, I decided my protagonist was not inspiring me and was tying my hands creatively so thought of a new pioneering sort of protagonist yesterday and suddenly, the idea seems interesting again.

I find being creative can be as much fun as falling in love!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
I find being creative can be as much fun as falling in love!

Ha! Yes. There's even this interplay between "everything is so amazing!" and "how can they even like me?". ;)

<3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think that's why I'm not too concerned about the lack of romance in my life, lately. Creativity is filling in that same sort of feeling of getting excited about things (and then occasionally let down) and then excited again and so on.

Today, I worked more on poetry submissions. I had five poems planned to send to one place as of yesterday but looked again today decided to eliminate two of them (they're just a bit weak) and replaced them with two poems that I think are stronger. One I'd forgotten I'd written in April 2010 that's actually surprisingly good and I hardly worked on it (maybe did three drafts of it and considered it finished, which is nothing). I'll read this potential submission over again later to make sure all the ones I'm sending are strong before going ahead and actually submitting them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm hate-loving my current ghost story. Started off with an idea, then kept writing until some material from a recent dream seeped in... and now it's turned into some sort of exorcism via a fictitious character who is so not me. It's getting harder and harder to write (which is usually a sign that it's not bad), but I can't tell the good parts from the to-be-edited parts anymore, because it's swallowed me whole.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay! I love being absorbed by creative things. Sounds like your story's evolving, Phoenix. Yeah, and when things get tricky, it often means breakthroughs are soon to be made (for me, I get desperate to make things work so start being more open-minded in trying out ideas I might not have considered or dismissed earlier and that kind of thing will often lead down the path where it will all come together, in my experience).

I've returned to my disgruntled customer story just today, typed up the edits. It's not a ghost story but I guess it falls into speculative fiction. It could also be coincidence with nothing hinky going on--that's up for the reader to decide, I suppose. It's suggesting things but nothing's confirmatory. It's changed a lot from what it was but in many ways remains the same. I find I've had to cast off what isn't working and try stuff that might, like trying on different clothes. It's certainly far from finished and will probably change some more. It's definitely falling short right now, but it's evolving and I've hardly written for a week or so except for tinkering with a few poems here and there so I'm glad to be getting my head back here again even if not entirely pleased with results.

I wouldn't worry about not telling the good parts from the bad right now in your story, phoenix. When you have a chance to get a couple of days away from it and read it again then, it will all be clear again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I used to write all of the time, until about 2 years ago when I got really unwell and just stopped because I couldn't think of any ideas or hated everything I started or just didn't care all that much. So, I am trying again because I feel almost empty when I am not writing. I started a short story a couple of weeks ago, I tend to write a little and then edit and edit and edit before moving on, but haven't looked at it much again. I even tried journalling butsince I have been home I don't do anything and I feel extraordinarily boring. I have thought about writing about my 7 weeks in a mental health unit (it was actually kind of fun because everyone was crazy) earlier in the year but I can't seem to get past the anxiety that everything I write is shiitake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

You should write again, Sarah. I never journal either because my day to day life is about as interesting as watching paint dry but writing fiction/poetry and even creative non-fiction allows me to escape myself and use my imagination which is incredibly therapeutic (for me) and absorbing and I feel accomplished for doing it and setting goals for myself in that realm.

My writing didn't really start happening in any way until I gave myself permission to write absolute shit--quality didn't matter, quality would come in time, so long as I was writing. I think you should write about your seven weeks and see where that goes because from what you wrote, it sounds like a topic you engage with. Give yourself permission to be a bad writer and take that pressure to be masterful away from yourself and the blank page and start getting stuff down and working on it from there and see what comes! (I feel strongly that goodness and ultimately great things will come from your efforts!) <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Wrote a new poem today.

Thought up the premise of yet another short story and made notes in my notebook for it, along with all the other story ideas and snippets I rarely pursue (this one will probably never get written--it's a fleeting idea and didn't flower in my mind into scenarios and whatnot much beyond the original thought).

Looked at novel stuff and will get back to it soon.

Looked at first couple of pages of disgruntled customer short story and it seemed pretty disappointing. Hopefully, I can fix it at some point.

Was feelin' a poem today so that got done. Needs work but I've typed it up so I can work it over some more at my leisure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still working out the poem I mentioned last post. Cut the first and last stanza right out, rewrote the ending and much of the middle, too. Previous endings weren't cutting it so, desperate, I went in a new direction with what I thought was an incredibly lame and a really ridiculous-seeming image just to see if anything could be made of it. Hmmm...after a little tinkering, I think it might actually work? Might? May? Anyway it works better than anything I've come up with on it previously. Not sure if it will stick but it seems okay at the moment. Ending aside, struggling with the tense throughout and what works best for it and some disorganization/flashbacking that I'm not sure I want but when try to reorganize, I like how it was so it goes back to what it was before. About to type up the changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:40 am 
WELFARIST!

Worked on poems. Sent a submission (of five) off that I'd been preparing for a while and kept switching up, editing, etc. I looked them over again today and read the set out loud to last check before sending and Lovey seemed mesmerized by the reading. Obviously not from the content but I guess the sound of my voice? I love reading poems to my kitties!

Typed up edits to latest new poem. It's coming close to being finished (I think). It's definitely an astronomy poem. Now I'm watching that PBS show (or History Channel) The Universe so I'm sure I'll have more idears for more in that vein as that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:08 am 
WELFARIST!

I have to put my paid work first for the next little while so Imma be less disciplined about my creative writing for the next couple of months and do what I can when I can until I get some expenses round here paid up.

Last night worked on the poem (still going with the same one) a bit before bed. It's got some nice images and I've stripped it to the barest bones in terms of language and now I'm trying to decide if it's finished--is it powerful enough and making an impression as it stands or do I need to add another bridging stanza? It's maybe a bit abrupt which is a characteristic of my personality that unfortunately bleeds sometimes into my work. Sometimes in writing, you have to work against your own nature to get it right and that's the sort of place this poem is at. Anyway, no rush on it, just gonna work at my leisure for the next while.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So yesterday a close friend and I took our writing stuff and sat in a pub garden. We had lemon juice & soda until we'd achieved some progress, then switched to beer. I finished my shape-shifter story! I'm going to re-read it today and maybe edit a couple of minor things, but all in all I really really like it. It's the most upbeat thing I've ever written.
I'm going to submit it to a fantasy antho for charity. Let's see how that turns out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next