| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reaction to Bragg's liquid aminos?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made a tofu scramble on Sunday and I thought I was out of soy sauce so I used Bragg's liquid aminos in it instead. I rarely use the Bragg's and have only used a small amount in a casserole or sauce.

About a half hour to an hour after I had eaten breakfast my heart started to race so fast I could feel it pounding in my neck. My heart rate was around 100 when it is usually around 50. This lasted for about an hour or so. I lay down for a while, it stopped eventually and then I felt fine. Doing a little research, of course, I wonder if it was an MSG-like reaction. There were mushrooms in the scramble as well.

I was having a very relaxing morning, catching up on Coronation Street and snuggling with the cats, so although it was like a panic attack I have only had those rarely in actual situations of panic (when my mom was very sick, e.g.), not out of the blue.

Has anyone ever had a negative reaction to Bragg's aminos? Could it be something else? I threw the rest of the tofu in the compost.

Post subject: Re: Reaction to Bragg's liquid aminos?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I also only use it when I am out of Tamari because I find the taste to be too salty for my liking. But I've never had an adverse reaction to it. Just out of curiosity, how are your cholesterol levels? I had similar episodes back before I was vegan and my cholesterol was almost 300.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:01 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

There isn't any scientific evidence linking MSG to the allergic reaction symptoms (including increased heart rate) that have been widely attributed to it (and here's an interesting write-up dealing with how the myth of of MSG began: http://fromonesurvivortoanother.tumblr. ... restaurant).

If you have had panic attacks before, though, this seems like a possibility. My husband has had a few of them, and while most of the time they have occurred during times of anxiety he's definitely had at least one that we could in no way account for!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

chop_socky wrote:
There isn't any scientific evidence linking MSG to the allergic reaction symptoms (including increased heart rate) that have been widely attributed to it (and here's an interesting write-up dealing with how the myth of of MSG began: http://fromonesurvivortoanother.tumblr. ... restaurant).

chop_socky, thanks for that interesting link! There was just an article on Slate this week, comparing the phenomenon of MSG sensitivity to the phenomenon of gluten sensitivity:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... blame.html

There are tons of reasons why someone's heart rate might elevate -- it's hard to pinpoint a cause without more info. Mine sometimes does when I'm having a nice, relaxing afternoon nap. Go figure!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Was there nutritional yeast in your scramble? Because it sounds like niacin flush: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/niacin ... se/AN01644

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I do get reactions like that to niacin sometimes. I take a B complex supplement that has a lot of niacin in it, and I get really hot, heart beats fast, and I get red/splotchy. Only lasts for a little while though.

Never had a reaction to nutritional yeast, but I have heard of that happening to people. A friend of mine that is breastfeeding (not a vegan) and has been eating a lot of Nooch has had the 'Niacin Flush' from it.

If nooch made me flush, i would still eat the hell out of it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I wonder if it could have been a reaction to too much sodium. I think Bragg's can look lower in sodium because they give the serving size in tsp while I think most soy sauces are by the TBSP and it is actually higher in sodium than most soy sauces. Or maybe you just used a lot of it, or usually use a low sodium soy sauce? Niacin flush sounds like another good theory.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Sometimes I think I'm putting Bragg's on stirfry, but I'm actually injecting myself with pure crack cocaine. Could that be what happened?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

Arisaig wrote:
There were mushrooms in the scramble as well.

Were they magic mushrooms?

(Just kidding. I hope it was just niacin flush.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:20 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I suffer from panic attacks semi-regularly. usually my heart rate increases, I feel lightheaded, and I experience the sensation thunderous heart beats and tight bands constricting my chest/lungs. maybe that's what you experienced? I think the phase "panic attack" is a misnomer to some extent, because about 65% of the time I get them for no apparent reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I didn't put nooch in the tofu - had to think for a minute about that because I usually do. Darned science for debunking the MSG myth. I did not inject myself with any illegal (or legal) substances thank you very much Ms. Isa. R.O. It could have been high sodium like you suggested. Bragg's has about half as much again as the low sodium tamari I usually use.

Something that occurred to me reading the responses was that it was a relaxing morning, like I mentioned, and maybe completely unrelated to the food all of the anxiety that builds up when I am busy during the week worked its way out. Usually that happens at 3 a.m. Later that week I had two mornings when I couldn't sleep in the wee hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:37 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

IsaChandra wrote:
Sometimes I think I'm putting Bragg's on stirfry, but I'm actually injecting myself with pure crack cocaine. Could that be what happened?

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. And then I taste my stirfry and think it still tastes really bland and I can't figure out why. This usually results in me dumping several gallons of Sriracha on the stir fry and injecting some Sriracha as well, and then no one is happy but me.