| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:53 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sven would get legitimately jittery. And gassy! I wasn't drinking coffee or caffeinated tea, but I was eating a LOT of chocolate and drinking hot chocolate in the early postpartum weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I guess I'll cut down a bit & see if it helps before I stop all together and want to stab things

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
it's diabolical. she snoozes like a champ on top of you especially if she has a boob as a pillow and the second you put her in the cosleeper or pack n play her eyes pop open.

on the odd chance you put her down successfully DONT GO CHECK ON HER because all of a sudden she senses your presence and wakes up.
DIABOLICAL!

This sounds pretty normal for a newborn. She grew inside you, so it makes sense that she'd be more comfortable sleeping by you or on you instead of by herself. (This is why I always end up co-sleeping -- it's the only way to get my babies to actually sleep.) Vax is the first baby I've been able to put down at all -- usually he won't sleep for more than maybe 10-15 minutes (if I'm very lucky), but Beet & Raygold especially wouldn't let me put them down. I can even put Vax down and sit by him and read or something -- as long as I'm in eyeshot. Beet wouldn't let me put him down for more than 10 mins max and Beet NEVER napped ever!! Raygold started having a 30 minute nap once a day, but only when he was older (9 or 10 months?) but this only went on for a few months and he was done napping before he was 16 months old.

Anyway, Caffeine usually doesn't have much of an effect on me (I heard my grandfather used to have a cup of coffee before bed to help him sleep, so maybe it's a genetic thing) so I don't always have tea or coffee (I have gone days without it, but when I do have any, it's usually green or white tea, which is low in caffeine anyway) and my babies' sleeping habits don't change based on whether or not I've had any.

I am always amazed at the magical babies that sleep on a schedule, sleep through the night early on, nap on a schedule, and take more than one nap a day. I am pretty sure formula fed babies sleep better because formula is thicker and keeps them full longer, but I have no experience with formula, so I don't know it first hand. But random strangers are always telling me to give my kids a bottle before bed to get them to sleep better.

(Apparently, I was a magical baby that was a good sleeper and my little sister was like most babies and would never ever let anyone put her down -- it drove my parents crazy. My mom once told me that they had thought about having a third kid until they had my sister.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

When Giles was tiny my single cup of coffee in the morning would affect him - he would be fussy and not do his usual nice napping. He would typically be one of those magical great sleeping babies otherwise. Around 6 months I started having my one cup a day again and it didn't seem to make a difference. I never noted a difference with chocolate (thank goodness!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm home during the summer (work full time during school year) and the nursing is getting OUT OF CONTROL. It has gone from three-four times a day to all the freaking day long. My weaning policy has been don't offer, don't refuse, but this is getting ridiculous.

So today I'm instituting no nursing except before nap, before bedtime, and once in the morning (this is the time she wants to nurse over and over again that is driving me batty).

She is not happy about this and right now she is taking her nap two hours early! She started signing nap and I thought she was just trying to get me to let her nurse, but she really did go down. Being mad must have worn her out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:56 pm 

Well, that was an epic fail. I caved and we nursed at least three more times than my new rules include. I guess I'm taking away too much at once. Tomorrow I'm going to end the morning marathon hit and runs and but not refuse any other times to see if that is less stressful for both of us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Butternut, I run into the same thing. Whoever came up with "don't offer don't refuse" has clearly not been asked to nurse >20 times in a single morning. I've found that the best way to counteract it is to keep busy and preferably out of the house, but then she goes right back to clusternursing the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

biting = :(

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut wrote:

It is interesting to keep nursing as her language is getting more sophisticated. I keep wondering if I will be able to get an answer one day to my burning question, "what is so great about this?"

I love this!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:26 pm 
Chip Strong

I think Ada is done after 26+ months! She was only nursing for a few seconds before bed but I've been sort of talking to her about not nursing anymore. Two nights ago she said "no boob. Alice drinks boobie milk" when we were getting ready for bed. I was worried that she would be super jealous of Alice occupying my boobs when she was born but she has been more than ok with it. She tells me when Alice is hungry, brings the breast friend to me, sometimes "helps" by putting her hand on the boob that she is nursing from, brings burp cloth to me if she sees spit up, etc. It's all very sweet. My goal was two years and I was ready for her to be done but it's still a little sad. My baby!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sashi wrote:
I think Ada is done after 26+ months! She was only nursing for a few seconds before bed but I've been sort of talking to her about not nursing anymore. Two nights ago she said "no boob. Alice drinks boobie milk" when we were getting ready for bed. I was worried that she would be super jealous of Alice occupying my boobs when she was born but she has been more than ok with it. She tells me when Alice is hungry, brings the breast friend to me, sometimes "helps" by putting her hand on the boob that she is nursing from, brings burp cloth to me if she sees spit up, etc. It's all very sweet. My goal was two years and I was ready for her to be done but it's still a little sad. My baby!

Aw! That's so cute. Raygold and Beetroot are always telling me when Vax wants boobie. Raygold will bring me the boppy and they both provide a running commentary.

I'd always wondered if boob-jealousy would occur, but Beet & Raygold nursed in tandem for 2 years with no problems.

And after the both weaned...it's weird how fast they change their mind from desperately needing to nurse and totally not wanting anything to do with it.

Also, both my boys have offered to nurse Vax this week. I'd left the room to make a cuppa and returned to find Beetroot pulling up his shirt and telling Vax he had some milk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:03 pm 
Chip Strong

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Also, both my boys have offered to nurse Vax this week. I'd left the room to make a cuppa and returned to find Beetroot pulling up his shirt and telling Vax he had some milk.

Awwww. Ada thinks it's hilarious if she is not wearing a shirt and Alice is laying on her because Alice starts looking for a boob.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Breastfeeding with babe lying horizontally across my lap, top leg kicking furiously. I joke that he thinks milk comes from the swim-up bar.

"Bartender, another round, please!"

"...make it a double!" :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Chatting with my 86 year old grandpa and somehow the topic came around to breastfeeding and we talked about how my sister is having a hard time weaning her 18 month old. He said that he recalls breastfeeding as a young child! He said he was 2 or 3 and he remembers his mom breastfeeding her grand-daughter and him at the same time (he was a surprise baby after his parents had several grown children). He said he was SO JEALOUS of that baby for getting some of HIS milk! He remembers when his mother decided to wean him. She put "something black" (he thinks now it was soot) on her nipples and anytime he tried to nurse it tasted just awful... I just thought these memories were incredible. Sadly they weren't the happiest of breastfeeding memories...but still really cool.

I have been completely done with the pumping for about a week or two I think. It is so nice. Giles has easily transitioned to alternate "milks" and is doing great so far so we are all happy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so interesting annasrobbie!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone ever used an amber teething necklace and can someone recommend a brand?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sven has one and I do too! I've noticed a huge effect on both of us (mine is obviously not for teething, but it has a huge effect on my de Quervain's, TMJ, and lower back issues). I bought mine from the Baltic Ambers shop on Etsy. They are way cheaper than the US but ship from Lithuania so it takes a while. Here all the herb shops and boutiques sell them too but they're around $30. I know people who just got them through Amazon, though. The lighter is supposed to be stronger, but different ambers supposedly have different properties so we wear rainbow ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cool. i realized after i posted this i am confusing a couple different things.

i guess there is such a thing as an amber teething necklace which you are talking about (and i wanted to know about too!) and then what i think i was originally thinking of (which is why i posted in this thread) is a breastfeeding necklace for babies when they are distracted. it gievs them something to fiddle with?
anyone use one of those?

thanks for the feedback on the amber necklace im gonna look into those.
funny thing about them coming form Lithuania is i am Lithuanian! so that is cool!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am 
***LIES!!!***

Google "Breastfeeding Bling"! Lots of great choices out there, including some on Etsy.

We did use a little necklace for fiddling with during breastfeeding and just to have something for her to play with when I was carrying her. Babies/toddlers were always fascinated with it. It was a big round jade-colored sort of plasticky/rubbery pendant attached to a strong cord (i think this one: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Mom-Bling-T ... ding+bling). Malka actually still plays with it - it's attached to her car seat and she likes to chew on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, haha, I should have realized what thread this was and figured it out! I also have one of those Teething Bling necklaces. We didn't really use it that often, but it was more because I forgot about it than anything. I also considered some nicer-looking wooden ones on Etsy in case I wanted to wear it out and about but never got one. There's also Chewbeads, which are really big and are meant to be worn as statement jewelry. I have a few friends who had them and said that their hair frequently got caught in the Chewbeads necklaces, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

do you guys think this one is too boring?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/121519275/heart-shaped-wooden-nursing-or-teething?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=breastfeeding+necklace&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto4&ga_search_type=handmade

this is the style of something that i would wear but i wonder if it's not interesting enough to play with.

the ones with all the beads and rings im sure are more intersting but less somethign i actually want to wear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think it's perfect! It's way cuter than most options out there too. I bought my necklace to stop Sven from trying to play with my nipple...I would have thought my nipple would be super boring, but I guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

haha that's a really good point!

i think im going to get an amber necklace for me too. ive always loved amber and never knew it had magical powers. i have some amber jewelry though i dont think it's "raw" amber.
maybe it will help my broken back.

BP isnt teething yet but it's right around the corner!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think it's adorable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm 

That necklace is cute! I'm going to get one. :) Freya isn't much of a twiddler, but she scratches the hell out me when nursing. (seriously...blood drawn more than once and scratches all over my tummy :( )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 115  Next