| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chain restaurants?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks everyone! I've been to Pizza Express since this post and they were super helpful and I didn't get any weird looks which is always a bonus. I went to Wagamama last night and it was good too, the ice lollies they do there are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went to Las Iguanas in Newcastle (mentioned up-thread) tonight, and it was excellent. The food was delicious, and the waitress was really good about checking with the kitchen about things being vegan (they didn't list sides in the email, so I had to clarify a few things). I was with my bff, who had been there before, and she had a similar experience last time, so I can safely recommend them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

You can sign up to be a Las Iguanas 'Amigo' if you email them, which is where they call you in as a mystery diner on set dates and you have a £50 budget. Maximum two cocktails per person. I'm going on Saturday and its gonna be good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We were in Pizza Express today, and I mentioned that I'd love to try the polenta chips but they weren't even vegetarian. The waitress suggested that they leave off the cheese and give us a different dip (the dip it comes with his honey mustard) and they should be suitable. So we got some, and they're really good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:59 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread, I'm definitely taking my partner to Las Iguanas for his birthday on Wednesday then, I saw it even had a vegetarian/vegan menu!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:44 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I normally avoid chains like the plague. I've never had an awesome experience in one. Everything just taste a bit...blah, or something. I love Wagamama's though - good food, clear menu and great staff. I'm all about the amai udon (minus the fish and egg) with chilli oil. Oh, and the veg gyoza. My big complaint with them is that it's nearly €7 for a bowl of edamame with sea salt!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:11 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

GaietyGirl wrote:
I normally avoid chains like the plague. I've never had an awesome experience in one. Everything just taste a bit...blah, or something. I love Wagamama's though - good food, clear menu and great staff. I'm all about the amai udon (minus the fish and egg) with chilli oil. Oh, and the veg gyoza. My big complaint with them is that it's nearly €7 for a bowl of edamame with sea salt!

Wagamama was definitely more expensive in Ireland than here?

Have you been to Milano, the Irish version of Pizza Express? I really enjoyed the meal I had at one in Dublin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 pm 

jojo wrote:
GaietyGirl wrote:
Wagamama was definitely more expensive in Ireland than here?

Have you been to Milano, the Irish version of Pizza Express? I really enjoyed the meal I had at one in Dublin.

Yeah, it's more expensive alright. Up to a fiver in the difference on a noodle dish. They've also chopped a whole bunch of dishes off the most recent menu here - no more amai udon for me *cries* In general stores/restaurants that have branches here and in the UK - the prices don't translate. There are a few clothing places that started cutting off the bottom of the price tags as they were charging 50% more than the sterling price :(

Haven't been to Milano yet. The one branch I get near is a couple of streets away from two of the best Italian places in Dublin, so I tend to head that way. Might give them a look though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:07 pm 

Las Iguanas have always been really good with me and have a vegan menu on line and I'm pretty sure it's in the restaurant too. I love their mushroom fajitas. I had to go to TGI Friday's (it was a work do) the other day and nothing was vegan as standard, but I popped in because it was on the way home from work on the night before I was due to go in and asked if they could make the vegetable fajitas vegan (they cook them in a garlic butter normally) and they did it and they were pretty tasty, not the best fajitas, but they weren't awful either.

Pizza Express is always good too, the bases are vegan and I just get the giardiniera and ask for no cheese/ pesto and then drizzle chilli oil over it, which is yummy. I also love Tampopo and they list everything that is vegan on the menu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 am 

Tampopo is always my go to - SIX vegan desserts. Heaven.

We had our Christmas meal at Chiquitos this year and the manager was amazing, made us a separate menu and bought in vegan mayo, cheese and milk, including separate rice milk for our expectant mum.

We eat at Pizza Express quite regularly and they are good but I'm bored of the range. I usually take cheese in because there are a few of us who don't eat dairy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 pm 

cornflowers wrote:
Tampopo is always my go to - SIX vegan desserts. Heaven.

I wish there was Tampopo here! The nearest one is London (although it's called East Street) but I always go when I'm visiting my oldest friend in Reading.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

this may be a daft question, but does anyone know what Wagamama's offer in the way of vegan alcohol?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 am 

herbivorous_bex wrote:
this may be a daft question, but does anyone know what Wagamama's offer in the way of vegan alcohol?

The menu won't load on my phone but I'm pretty sure they had Rekorderling cider last time I visited. I'd run some names of the beers etc through a Barnivore search.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

herbivorous_bex wrote:

Last time I was there they had Asahi (I had the dark version, it was really nice) which Barnivore says are okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We sometimes go into the local Bill's ... http://www.bills-website.co.uk/index.html

They have a number of vegetarian plates which is encouraging.

I always tell the waiter when they arrive at the table that I follow a vegan diet and without fail
they have gone through the veg items on the menu I like and by doubling up some items or swapping
some other have provided me with a splendid meal.

If there

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:59 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

teacup wrote:
We sometimes go into the local Bill's ... http://www.bills-website.co.uk/index.html

They have a number of vegetarian plates which is encouraging.

I always tell the waiter when they arrive at the table that I follow a vegan diet and without fail
they have gone through the veg items on the menu I like and by doubling up some items or swapping
some other have provided me with a splendid meal.

If there

That's interesting - we have a Bills in Bath now and when I looked at the menu, it seemed like there was nothing that could be veganised.

I'm also surprised about GBK - I thought all their veggie burgers contained egg.

I also am really impressed with Las Iguanas and the helpfulness of their staff - if you look on the website they have a veggie and vegan menu.

I had a really positive experience in Bella Italia as well - when I asked for cheese to be removed they were very keen to replace it with something and I had a very nice Mediterranean veg pasta dish.

Wagamama's Yasai Pad Thai is vegan if you ask for it without the egg and is really very good. They have a few other things that don't need adapting too, the details are on their website.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

agent_44 wrote:
That's interesting - we have a Bills in Bath now and when I looked at the menu, it seemed like there was nothing that could be veganised.
My former partner didn't rate Bill's in Bath very highly, but he was used to the first Bill's down in Lewes, where Bill could be seen shouting at the staff and arranging things beautifully. I think he called it a shallow mockery... but he's very biased. I haven't been in years... a few Lewes people resent Bill's as a symbol of "it's not like the old ways..." and I'm one of them, to a slight extent.

I remember it when it was just a greengrocers, and then a fancy greengrocers with tables, and then it gradually became the boho behemoth it is today. Interestingly, for those who are interested in such things, Bill sold the franchise for an absolute fortune and can now be seen pacing round Lewes like a man with too much time on his hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I generally end up with a generous green salad, some side vegetables, hummus, salsa, lots of cherry tomatoes and pita bread ... they are very amiable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Gulliver wrote:
agent_44 wrote:
My former partner didn't rate Bill's in Bath very highly, but he was used to the first Bill's down in Lewes, where Bill could be seen shouting at the staff and arranging things beautifully. I think he called it a shallow mockery... but he's very biased. I haven't been in years... a few Lewes people resent Bill's as a symbol of "it's not like the old ways..." and I'm one of them, to a slight extent.

I remember it when it was just a greengrocers, and then a fancy greengrocers with tables, and then it gradually became the boho behemoth it is today. Interestingly, for those who are interested in such things, Bill sold the franchise for an absolute fortune and can now be seen pacing round Lewes like a man with too much time on his hands.

That's quite funny, everyone in Bath seems to rave about it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

teacup wrote:
I generally end up with a generous green salad, some side vegetables, hummus, salsa, lots of cherry tomatoes and pita bread ... they are very amiable.

I've never eaten in there as it didn't look like I could eat anything. And your description of what they give you doesn't make me want to rush to try it!

That's funny about Bill pacing Lewes. There's even a branch on Brewers Street in London now where the Aldo Zilli's fish restaurant used to be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 am 
Ninja Master

I can't remember if I've said this already elsewhere, but Toby Carvery now have 2 vegan mains (marked vegan as well) on their menu. There seems to be conflicting info about whether their veggie gravy is vegan and if the veggies on the carvery have butter on, so you'd have to check with the server on the day I guess.

No pudding yet but hopefully they'll catch on to that eventually.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

What are the mains baps and have you tried them? Any good?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 am 
Ninja Master

It's a shepherds pie and a nut roast wellington. I haven't tried them but the UK vegan facebook people say they're not bad at all!
here's a link to their menu http://www.tobycarvery.co.uk/pdf/tobyca ... sunday.pdf

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks.