| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 am 
Nailed to the V

Emilie wrote:
The other day an unpleasant incident lead me to question the "cheek kissing" culture that is the norm in Wallonia (and that often causes problems even for adults) and how brutal and absurd it is, the way kids here are forced to kiss and let others kiss them, instead of learning how to say no and that no one is entitled to touch them if they don't want it :/

quite right .... I, as an adult do not like touching people I do not know. 'Back in MY day,' gentlemen did not offer their hand to a woman when being introduced ... sexist but it spared us having to encountering sweaty / slimy palms.

all this kissing of children unless they are your own is bad ... even with my little great niece who is fond of me (great-aunts bring TREATS!) I wait til she comes over to clamber up onto my knee for a cuddle after I greet here on arrival at their house to get my kiss (on the cheek) from her.

Keep your hands to yourself ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
Uch that whole website is offensive, of course there is no slut calculator for men because only women are sluts.

It's awful...

"Ladies... a hash brown is a man's job, yo job is a blow job."

Seriously.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am 
Flounceiad 2011

jojo wrote:
Uch that whole website is offensive, of course there is no slut calculator for men because only women are sluts.
You got it. Men are just "sowing their wild oats."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

baps wrote:
jojo wrote:

It's awful...

"Ladies... a hash brown is a man's job, yo job is a blow job."

Seriously.

Haha! You just helped me figure out another filter.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:29 am 
Semen Strong

Emilie wrote:
The other day an unpleasant incident lead me to question the "cheek kissing" culture that is the norm in Wallonia (and that often causes problems even for adults) and how brutal and absurd it is, the way kids here are forced to kiss and let others kiss them, instead of learning how to say no and that no one is entitled to touch them if they don't want it :/

We never make our daughter touch or kiss anyone, and we explain that she has to ask before kissing or hugging other kids, and that not everyone likes to be touched if the person says no. My 90 year old uncle kept trying to grab and hug her, despite us explaining to him that we let her make her own choices and go at her own pace, and basically she refuses to go anywhere near him now. She happily hugs and kisses everyone else. I think its amazing to teach them that they get to say no or yes and to honor their own discomforts and feelings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dead by dawn

Tofulish wrote:
Emilie wrote:

We never make our daughter touch or kiss anyone, and we explain that she has to ask before kissing or hugging other kids, and that not everyone likes to be touched if the person says no. My 90 year old uncle kept trying to grab and hug her, despite us explaining to him that we let her make her own choices and go at her own pace, and basically she refuses to go anywhere near him now. She happily hugs and kisses everyone else. I think its amazing to teach them that they get to say no or yes and to honor their own discomforts and feelings.

I'm glad for Leela that she's learning this young and has your support. I was 8 when my oldest sister got married and, for some reason, I didn't feel comfortable hugging my brother-in-law. I don't know why; I liked him well enough but I think I was just at an awkward age for hugging strange men, and then a bunch of family members put pressure on me to hug him and it just made the whole thing more awkward. By the time I was 10 or so I was over it but I knew if I started hugging him then that the pressure would turn into teasing and I didn't want that either. If someone would have just told me it was OK, that I could hug or not hug whoever I wanted (assuming mutual consent,) and then dropped it, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken a decade before I was comfortable hugging him. (Note that he is the most laid-back, easy-going, non-threatening person ever and was never one of the people bugging me!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This is one of the most despicable things I've ever read.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/erick-erickson-abortion-hanger-tweet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I wish I hasn't read that link. Going to crawl into a corner and cry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:25 pm 
Impressive boner

I looked at the photo of Gerri Santoro and felt intensely sad for her and her family and incredibly sick and angry at Erick Erickson and the whole anti-choice patriarchy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:

What a filthy, disgusting, f*cking dirtbag.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Disgusting. What a horrible person.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Argh, I don't know if I should be enraged by that article, or really, really depressed. Probably a mix of both.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Don't look at the picture unless you want to have it burned on your brain. Its so sad. And the story of her daughters and how Clyde Dixon just left her there to die and only got 1 year and 1 day is just tragic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:25 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Don't look at the picture unless you want to have it burned on your brain. Its so sad. And the story of her daughters and how Clyde Dixon just left her there to die and only got 1 year and 1 day is just tragic.
And by "tragic" you mean "hilarious," amirite?!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:

I want to start throwing things are specific people right now. So blatantly smug and disgusting. What a fork face.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am 
Baking In The Flavor

ndpittman wrote:

What a terrible, twisted person. It's disturbing that he obviously gets off on offending and hurting masses of people with his words.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 am 

What I don't understand is that he's still employed. I guess because he works for Fox News?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
What I don't understand is that he's still employed. I guess because he works for Fox News?
This flummoxes me as well; you'd think the outcry would be enough to get him sacked, but presumably their target demographic thinks this is okay?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
This flummoxes me as well; you'd think the outcry would be enough to get him sacked, but presumably their target demographic thinks this is okay?

Which is MORE upsetting to me. (If that's possible.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ndpittman wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Which is MORE upsetting to me. (If that's possible.)

What does he do at Fox News? I see as much Fox as I do any other news channel, and I've never heard of him. I asked my parents and they hadn't either (they watch more than I do). If he has just been on as a consultant or whatever, hopefully they don't have him back. Kuchinich is on all the time now. Plus Shep Smith. So Fox isn't all bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

That guy is terrible!
I did look at the picture. It was terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This is kind of triggering, I think, but I needed to get it out.

Spoiler: show
When a guy had sex with me after I had blacked out, I didn't think it was rape, even though I woke up shocked I was naked, floored there was a guy in my bed. Because my roommate saw us having sex and didn't think for a second to stop it, even though five minutes earlier, I had been passed out on the foot of my bed. I didn't think it was rape because all night I had been flirting with him- I hadn't even touched him...just talked. I had very, very obviously had too much to drink before we even left the bar, because I can't remember doing so.
And, until last night, it didn't hit me. This guy forking raped me. I did not consent. I couldn't consent, in the state I was in. And he isn't a bad guy. He didn't intentionally do it- he was drunk too, and it wasn't like he didn't have the idea I was into him. And, according to my roommate, I was pretty into it.

But I wasn't conscious.

I'm still fighting with myself over this. It was rape. But I'm having a difficult time owning up to it because, damn it, this is too subtle and confusing and is it really? Or was I just an idiot who drank too much? And I know that's stupid to think.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm 
Semen Strong

((((((Hugs))))))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:15 am 
Nooch of Earl

So there's this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... x/2554045/

A Dubai court has sentenced a Norwegian woman to 16 months in jail for having sex outside of marriage after she reported being raped, according to news reports from the United Arab Emirates.

In December, a 28-year-old British woman who reported being kidnapped and gang-raped by three men in Dubai was found guilty of drinking alcohol without a license. She was fined $257.

Three years ago, an Abu Dhabi court sentenced an 18-year-old Emirati woman to a year in prison for illicit sex after she reported that six men had gang-raped her.

In 2008, an Australian woman managing a United Arab Emirates resort reported being brutally gang-raped while unconscious because she had been drugged. She was convicted of illegal sex outside marriage and sentenced to 11 months in prison, in addition to one month for drinking alcohol.

She was pardoned after eight months, as were three men convicted of raping her.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

missdelaney wrote:
This is kind of triggering, I think, but I needed to get it out.

Spoiler: show
When a guy had sex with me after I had blacked out, I didn't think it was rape, even though I woke up shocked I was naked, floored there was a guy in my bed. Because my roommate saw us having sex and didn't think for a second to stop it, even though five minutes earlier, I had been passed out on the foot of my bed. I didn't think it was rape because all night I had been flirting with him- I hadn't even touched him...just talked. I had very, very obviously had too much to drink before we even left the bar, because I can't remember doing so.
And, until last night, it didn't hit me. This guy forking raped me. I did not consent. I couldn't consent, in the state I was in. And he isn't a bad guy. He didn't intentionally do it- he was drunk too, and it wasn't like he didn't have the idea I was into him. And, according to my roommate, I was pretty into it.

But I wasn't conscious.

I'm still fighting with myself over this. It was rape. But I'm having a difficult time owning up to it because, damn it, this is too subtle and confusing and is it really? Or was I just an idiot who drank too much? And I know that's stupid to think.

I'm confused. You got drunk and willingly had sex with him. He didn't force you, he didn't coerce you, he didn't liquor you up until your defenses were down. Why is it that he's a rapist for doing the exact same thing you did?

I'm very sorry for your pain over this - I just think it's out of line to call it rape.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 170  Next