| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need MORE Protein
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm 
WRETCHED

So blood test confirmed either I'm not absorbing protein as well or I'm not eating as much as I should. I have a recheck in a few months but my effort until then will be to increase protein. I feel like I've been eating it because some of my favorite things have lots of protein!

My plan of action
- Greens
- Quinoa (I don't eat a lot of this but it is my new favorite salad addition)
- Beans (I eat a lot of these already but continue to do so)
- Tofu (I haven't been eating a lot of this lately, I'll try to eat some a couple times per month)
- Seitan (I've been lazy making my own, guess I have to work on that - most faux meat products I eat are store bought)
- Pea/brown/hemp protein powder for smoothies
- Soy milk over almond milk (I've been already doing this but might as well continue)

Am I missing something? Also, it has been a few years since I bought a protein powder, any suggestions for sites to buy or what not would be appreciated.

Also, I should note that I was calorie counting off and on for the last year or so and my daily range was usually 50-70g/protein so well within RDA limits.

Last edited by linanil on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Need MORE Protein
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Can I ask what blood test they did to confirm that? Lots of doctors still use albumin as an indicator of nutrition status, but that is an outdated method and doesn't actually have anything to do with protein intake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh! It was albumin. I am relieved if that is not a valid test for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

If you PM me your email address, I can give you a handout that I give to doctors when they don't know that albumin isn't used anymore. However, sometimes low albumin can mean an underlying infection or some other type of inflammation. If you went to the doc because you're sick, then it's probably normal. Do you mind my asking how low it was? If it was only mildly low, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

If you do find that you need to supplement your protein, humapro tablets have totally changed the game for me:

http://alrindustries.com/products/humapro-tablets

The tablets are just the aminos that your body would get from protein foods. So you get the benefits of protein without having to stuff yourself with more food. I have a hard time gaining muscle so that's why I take it. Some people ( bodybuilders who are trying to lean out without losing muscle) take all humapro and no other protein, but I'm not sure how safe that would be long term. In addition to the humapro I eat tofurky, field roast, tofu and drink vega sport shakes. The humapro drinks are kind of gross unless you like artificial sweetener taste . Tablets are way more convenient .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi linanil, I know there are some protein powder discussions in the weightlifting thread, so you may want to check that out. I use the below, and I'm happy with it but am also not a guru on the subject. I just can't bring myself to spend the dough on Vega and Sunwarrior.

http://www.vitacost.com/lifetime-lifes- ... rotein-mix

Otherwise, a couple of specific ideas for your list are lentils and soy curls (some more soy but if you are looking for texture variety for dinners, they are a nice stand in for chopped chicken). I also found jarred lupini beans at my grocer - those are awesome for a snack, and there is 6 grams of protein and 6 grams of carbs for 60 calories worth. Also, I use soba noodles a bit. The kind I have found lists a serving size of 3.5 oz dried, and the nutritional stats are 340 kcal/65 g carbs/negligible fat/ and 18 g protein.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

More Nooch? Nut butter sauces on top of veggies and stir fry?

I know a lot of people don't like the way Vega taste. But I love their Chocolate protein powder for smoothies and all of their bars. Kind of expensive but I hate the taste of most other protein powders and supplements. I would test more brands but I don't want to spend money on something if I don't know I'll like it or not. And Vega sells single packets of their stuff so I tried all the flavors without spending a shiitake load of money and then committed to a huge jug of it.