| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: East village
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'll be in NYC on the 11th and 12th. I'm staying on St. Marks. I would love any recommendations for non ethnic food-I can get all the vegan Thai and Chinese I want here. Some one told me in alphebet city they were opening a vegan Pizza shop but I never knew the name. A 24 hr place would be good too.

Post subject: Re: East village
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I guess for American style vegan/vegetarian food you can go to Kate's, but you'd be missing out if you didn't go to Pukk and Lan Cafe which are thai and vietnamese. Teany is also down there and baby cakes and then you might as well go to vegetarian dim sum house in china town. Since you said you didn't want thai or chinese all I can think of are thai and chinese places, but I really don't think there's anything like them anywhere else.

oh and obviously don't miss Lula's

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've liked some dishes at Organic Grill including a couple different seitan sandwiches they have. Pala is not by any means vegan but they do pizza with daiya cheese, and the atmos is kinda charming. I think Kate's is way downhill from what they used to be, especially the brunch. I might be tempted to try their wings again if I ever go back. For 24 hours check out Yaffa cafe. Food not amazing but it will be open and you'll find vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh yeah, also Counter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

yes there's counter, curly's, and caravan of dreams but I haven't been to any of them in a long while so nothing specific to say or recommend about them. last experience at counter was disappointing, and I'm pretty sure it's about to close soon. I read on EV Grieve that something new might move in there. (edited to add link. comments are interesting.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

oh duh right on St. Marks is the vegan St Mark's Bakery. Best for sandwiches and savory stuff IMO. Love their prewrapped avocado sandwich, the burrito is pretty good, and there's a quiche type cup thing that's good for a snack. Take out, eat in Tompkins Sq Park if it's not too cold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

If you go to caravan get either the supreme nachos or the burrito with seitan. Also, Angelica Kitchen is in the area and I would probably pick it over Organic Grill if only because it's all vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am a big fan of Curly's. They have American style diner food, but also a great mexican menu and the owner's opened up an omni mexican restaurant with a lot of vegan options just down the street. I usually get mexican when I'm there, which might not be what you're after. I've sampled their philly and a "chickn" sandwich off my boyfriend's plate, both were tasty and he really loves their sandwiches.

I've been to Kate's Joint for brunch. I remember that it was cheap, and included a free alcoholic drink + coffee/tea. I don't remember what I ordered though, something of a tofu scramble variety. So good, but not unbelievably incredible or all that memorable apparently.

It's been mentioned, and falls under the category of ethnic, but Lan Cafe is one of my absolute favorite restaurants.

I'm sure there are 24hr diners and coffee shops in the area, but I don't know of any that are vegan or particularly vegan friendly. You can do a Yelp search for 24 hr places in the East village here.
Pommes Frites is open until like...3am or something on weekends so if what you're after is some post-show/post-bar/post-club eats, this is a good place. But there isn't really any seating, so keep that in mind.

Of course, Lula's Sweet Apothecary and Stogo are in the area to fulfill your ice cream needs. Lula's seems to be more popular and widely loved--they have waffle cones, sundaes, banana splits, whipped cream, and basically any toppings you can think of. They definitely have more variety in terms of toppings, fixings, etc. Stogo tries to be a bit more health conscious I think, so they only really offer ice cream in cups/bowls--no cones or sundaes a la Lula's. But they do have a larger variety of ice cream flavors and I've really liked what I've ordered there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:53 pm 

JillW wrote:
oh (i need to learn to use my words to express myself.) right on St. Marks is the vegan St Mark's Bakery. Best for sandwiches and savory stuff IMO. Love their prewrapped avocado sandwich, the burrito is pretty good, and there's a quiche type cup thing that's good for a snack. Take out, eat in Tompkins Sq Park if it's not too cold.
Is this the place that you have to go down steps to get in to, close to the comic book store? I wanted to go there the last time I was in the city but I stayed on the Bowery so I just went to whole foods every day.
It is never too cold for me to eat in Tompkins Sq park or on the steps of Trash and Vaudeville(officially listed as my favorite place to eat in NYC)!
Someone told me close by (but I think Grewnich village), has a huge artist winter market but I can't find any info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:54 pm 
FAYGO

Everyone else has taken care of the restaurant suggestions, but if you're around Tompkins Square Park on Sunday evening, you can eat with Food Not Bombs. It's vegan and FREE.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

in the original post you mentioned a vegan pizza place - there's Viva Herbal on 2nd Ave as well as Pizza Pala on Allen St, which is a quite nice full-service restaurant with vegan pizzas/pastas as well as gluten-free options (and yeah non-veg stuff too)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

angelica kitchen!sooo good.
apparently the place next door has a vegan menu now,but i never went there,and i don't like italian food.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh yeah, I would definitely check out John's of 12th st's new vegan menu if I were you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 pm 

vegimator wrote:
Oh yeah, I would definitely check out John's of 12th st's new vegan menu if I were you.

It is definitely on the top of my list as long as my cash situation turns out ok! I LOVE Italian food and I never get it in new york-crazy I know!
I have a hectic trip planned but I hope to eat 4 full meals and 2 snacks in the 2 days I'm there. This will be a huge accomplishment since the last 3 trips I made to nyc all I ate was mangos, chinese take out, pizza and cupcakes from Rays, pre made food from whole foods and the meal that made me stop eating meat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:24 pm 

I went to Angelica's for dinner on Saturday. What I had was really good but it was the only thing on the menu I would eat. Yeah I'm the vegetarian who doesn't eat vegetables. I like the way someone described Angelica's as "Too clean" give me some thing that sounds a little bad for me.
I went to Kate's for "brunch" but I got the buffalo tofu. I wish now I got brunch but I will definitely be going back so next time! I had some Ice Cream from Lula's, Apple cider-Yumm! I almost didn't go there since I walked by before it opened and I couldn't tell where it was.
I ate at Johns for dinner. One of the best meals I ever had! Soooo good! I had the seitan Parmesan and I plan on trying to copy it! My mom tasted my left overs and couldn't believe I was eating veal. I told he I wasn't and she still thinks it was some form of meat she never heard of. Just a question about John's-Is it all male servers all the time?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 pm 
Hip Goiter

TheChickpea wrote:
I am a big fan of Curly's. They have American style diner food, but also a great mexican menu and the owner's opened up an omni mexican restaurant with a lot of vegan options just down the street.

What is the new omni restaurant called? I have omnis who want good mexican food next weekend; has anyone been?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

hotel tortuga. haven't been, totally should!

please post here if you go...