| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vacationing in Ithaca
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My little family is vacationing in Ithaca next week. What should we do? Where should we eat (needs to be family friendly)? We are definitely making a trip out to Farm Sanctuary. Anything else a can't miss? We like being outdoors and will have our bikes, but will also probably need some entertaining indoor options, stuff that would entertain or tire out a nearly two year old would be great.

Post subject: Re: Vacationing in Ithaca
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm 
Semen Strong

So much great stuff! You should contact Tuxedo Cat - she is located up there and is wonderful and she and her husband introduced us to the best stuff in Ithaca and made our stay there wonderful. http://tuxedocat.us/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was just in Ithaca on Monday! I only have two food recommendations - Sweet Melissa's for coconut milk ice cream (literally the best ice cream I've ever had) and Pizza Aroma for super delicious vegan pizza. We passed a cool looking hands-on science museum, which looked like it would be fun for kids.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oooh. I go to grad school here. It is great! Lots of outdoors stuff. If you are in to wineries, there are tons on this lake (Cayuga) and Seneca, near Watkins Glen. Search Finger Lakes waterfalls, and you will find lots of State Parks and hiking in the area. Watkins Glen has a small one with easy hiking that is so lovely. Ithaca has several. Buttermilk Falls has a lot of stairs but worth it. If you like Shakespeare, the Ithaca Shakespeare Company is doing their annual performances in the Cornell Plantations in the weekends. The boyfriend's family always comes for that, and we take a huge picnic basket (and bottle of wine) with us for the show.

Let me know if you need food suggestions. I mostly lurk these days, but will try to check if you have quesitons. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, we are definitely checking out the various falls and hiking. We will probably hit up a few wineries (actually I am more interested in breweries or cideries), but can't do too much of that with a toddler in tow. We would love suggestions of swimming spots or biking trails (toddler's two favorite activities in the world). I like Shakespeare, but that sounds unlikely with the kid. Do they do outdoor concerts up there also?

I checked out happy cow for food, looks like there's a good amount of stuff around Ithaca? Where should we eat when we go to Watkins Glen?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

amandabear wrote:
I was just in Ithaca on Monday! I only have two food recommendations - Sweet Melissa's for coconut milk ice cream (literally the best ice cream I've ever had) and Pizza Aroma for super delicious vegan pizza. We passed a cool looking hands-on science museum, which looked like it would be fun for kids.

Yes, definitely going to those places, plus purity seems to have some vegan choices, and definitely going to the science center!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
I checked out happy cow for food, looks like there's a good amount of stuff around Ithaca? Where should we eat when we go to Watkins Glen?

To be honest, when we went to Watkins Glen, we ended up driving to Ithaca to eat. The food was incredible there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Heh. Well maybe we'll just pack sandwiches and snacks, since our plan is to go there sort of along the way from my husband's grandmother's in Pennsylvania to Ithaca.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Well we were there in 2010, so a lot may have changed. I loved the Stone Cat between WG and Ithaca for the view and decent set of vegan options with wine. And WG itself has a good Chinese place - House of Hong. I had the best tempeh reuben with apples ever at the Grist Mill. Holycrap that was excellent. I went there 2x because it was just amazing.

Is Geka's Soul now closed?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We stayed in Watkins Glen and ended up eating mostly at Wildflower Cafe when we weren't in Ithaca. Not a ton of vegan options, but a really good black bean burger. The B&B we stayed at had a list from Farm Sanctuary of places to eat vegan in Watkins Glen, the surrounding area, and Ithaca - I'd definitely look to see if you can find that, it was super helpful. There were lots of options.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh, I didn't see the small child part. Hm. Not sure about outdoor concerts. Taughannock Falls has a nice playground and beach area across the street from the (mostly flat) walk to see the falls from below. Cass park next to the lake (and really close the Greenstar, the co-op with lots of veg food options) is flat and perfect for bike riding. There is also a nice playground there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Awesome tips! Also, we found out Cass Park has a children's educational garden and there's a program during the week for cheap that looks right up my kid's aisle (digging in dirt, watering stuff, perfect).