| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we have a "The Yard randomness thread"?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly needs to stop pulling the Daiya off my pizza. Not cool, especially after I bought her blackberries today.

Daiya probably isn't the healthiest bird snack; I don't really want her having any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just went out to my driveway, and the dog next door came running up to me. Brought her back and found the gate to her yard was wide open and the neighbours have no idea how it got opened. Their fence and gate is right up to the sidewalk, and I hear people walking by and taunting the dog all the time as she barks. It makes me so nervous. I'm scared someone will hurt or steal her someday, or open the gate and she'll get run over. This is the 4th time that someone has opened the gate and she got loose (the other times were landscapers leaving the gate open). She's such a nice dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

RC, would it be out of line to recommend they get a lock (are you comfortable suggesting it)? They could just unlock it on the days the landscapers come and keep the dog in the house those days.

I know, your brain was just exploded by my highly unique and intelligent solution, but you wouldn't believe how many of my neighbors I've recommended this to after finding their dogs and returning them. And their reaction was all "YEAH, good idea." (!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, might suggest it to them. They've never had a dog before, so they don't really have a clue. The big problem is that the fence is so inadequate. It's a wrought iron fence on the side facing the street, and is more of a decorative thing. It's only about 3 feet high, so the dog can stand on her hind legs and put her front paws on the top. She could easily jump over it if she tried. It also has gaps between the bars big enough for her to stick her entire head through. I worry that she will bite someone some day, because the kids walking by tease her, screaming and barking at her, and running back and forth. We've had to go out and chase them away a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I just noticed out my kitchen window that my neighbors have cleared away the detritus in their yard just enough for a chain link cage, approximately 3'x3', with a kennel inside and a tarp over the top of the cage for protection against the elements. It made my heart absolutely sink. I still haven't seen an animal out there yet, but it's a horrible place to put one, and I hope they aren't planning on relying on it very heavily.

I haven't even met them yet, as I won't be formally living in my house for another week, so the opportunity to ask or discuss has not yet arisen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My neighbors three dogs headbutted a big hole in their fence. One of them was able to squish out and was running hither and yon. I had to catch her and then run around the block to tell them that they had an issue. My dogs thought it was Christmas. "Look! A new friend! Yay!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I gave my bunny a bowl of ice water, because her drinking water heats up so quickly in this heat. She decided she did not want ice water, so she picked the bowl up with her teeth and flung it across the room. So ungrateful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tegan has been making a ton of progress lately! Progress was excruciatingly slow for several months, which is often the case with anxious dogs. At the beginning of the summer, I could get her to walk down the driveway, past our house and the house next door, and that was it. But the last couple weeks have been great! We walk down the street, no problem, and then cross to the other side to walk on the bike path. We're up to about 2 miles a day now, and we walk a little farther every day. Once we're on the bike path, we pass by people, cyclists, and the occasional golf cart with zero issues (plus the path is right near the road, so there's all the loud traffic going by). Sometimes bicycles pass within a foot of us with no warning, and she is fine. The only time she gets spooked is when a car suddenly honks its horn, and even then, it's just a startle and not a full-out panic. She seems to be very pleased with herself too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yay, Tegan. Good job!

It's like that with the macaw too. It takes him at least a minor epoch to get comfortable with anything new. We lived here over a year before he would walk down the hall. If his cage is put back a few inches too far from the wall after cleaning, he freaks out. He has gotten a lot better over the years though--we can put a new toy in without him hyperventilating and turning red in the face. Now he just ignores it for a few weeks until he decides it isn't possessed by Chucky or the Amityville spirit (he might be though!).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

RC, you and Tegan have done such an amazing job!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay, Tegan!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:05 pm 

Good job Tegan!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel supergrumpy about this guy coming up to me while I was putting Leela who is 21 months old into her car seat and yelling at me because my dog was sitting next to me, but I didn't have him leashed. Seriously, my dog is sitting down right next to me in the 2 minutes where my hands are busy and you have to bisque me out and threaten to call the police on me? Jerk.

And last weekend, some random guy came up to me and started yelling about how pitbulls were dangerous, babykilling dogs and I should be ashamed to have one blahblahblah. I didn't have Leela, so I screamed obscenities at him until he left. forking douchebag.

But normally tons of nice people say hello and want to pet Cuddles. And today a supernice young man was just loving on him and rubbing his ears and it made Cuddles so happy. So I need to remember the good stuff and try not to give a crepe about the shittystuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly is such a jerk.

She just, for no reason, gave the macaw's tail two hard yanks. I had to scoop her out of there before she got her face bitten off, since the macaw was pretty upset and parrots are Hammarabi fans.

Why would she do that? Before this happened, they were both sitting in different places, happily preening. She wasn't trying to preen him--these were nasty, hard pulls that made the macaw yelp.

Also: why would she go pick on a bird whose beak is bigger than she is? Does she not realize that she is only a couple inches tall?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I tried to give Tegan her 8:00 cookie tonight, but she didn't want it. I was worried she was sick or something, but then my mom came home and asked what happened to all the leftover spaghetti. Apparently, my mom left about 3 servings of spaghetti sitting in the colander in the sink, and it somehow mysteriously disappeared before she got home! I think this *may* have something to do with Tegan not being hungry for her 8:00 treat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:19 am 
WELFARIST!

Bill's fur was looking all weird a little bit ago...kind of light and dusty and chunky. So I tugged at it...and ended up pulling out about one more cat's worth of fur out of her. When is shedding season going to be over already?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I took Tegan to an adoption fair today, and she found the collie rescue booth and would not leave. First she went into an ex-pen they had set up. Then when I got her out of the pen, she went behind the table and flopped down. She was just so excited to see all of these dogs that looked like her. There was one smooth collie (short haired) who was tricolour like Tegan, and she LOVED him. I finally told her that we had to move, or someone might try to adopt her!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:29 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My friend's bunny stood up on her back legs when I tried to pet her today and hit me with her front paws al a stereotypical girl fight movie scene today. It was kind of the funniest thing ever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dad just went and picked up his new police dog, and the dogs are all going nuts. Basko is upset, and when he's upset, he makes this awful high-pitched screeching noise. So he's been doing that all morning. And the new dog for some reason is obsessed with Basko and wants to follow him around constantly and tries to lick Basko's face, and Basko is so not okay with that! He's been very good about it and just growls to warn the other dog off, but it is not deterring the other dog. Tegan is bouncing off the walls and being obnoxious, because they're all just so stressed out. And of course this dog has never lived in a house before, so it's just like when we first got Tegan, with the climbing on the counters and everything. I need a vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

It's been so long since I've had a tv that I forgot how much Ghostface loves to watch it. She used to sit beside me on the couch or on the ottoman when my ex and I had a decent sized flatscreen and just watch and watch it. I only watch stuff on my laptop now, and I'm usually sitting on small dining room chair when I do. But since I'm having a Breaking Bad marathon, I dragged in a bigger, more comfy chair (wifi signal is best for streaming in the dining room, whatcha gonna do?) and she jumped up and watched a full episode with me. It's so funny to watch her...her head follows all the movements and when it's a scene where there's not a lot of movement she wants to be petted...until the action starts again.

Silly tv junkie kitty.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had to euthanize my parents' cat that I took in last November because they were overwhelmed after my sister died. Sprinkles' diabetes had gone into remission and I had a lot of her teeth pulled, so I thought she was getting healthy. Then I brought her back to my parents last week because they were ready to take her back. She suddenly went downhill this week, so my dad brought her to the vet this morning and they said her odds weren't good and most cats as sick as her didn't make it through the night.

I know I've repeatedly told people the humane thing to do is end the suffering, but I keep second guessing myself and feeling like I should have noticed something was wrong while she was at my house or tried something to save her. I'm glad I was at least holding her when the vet gave her the shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm so sorry, fatcat. I've been through that horrible second guessing too. I'm sure you did everything you could to make her life happy and healthy, and that Sprinkles knew and appreciated that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Aww...I'm sorry, fatcat. I went through the second guessing too, especially when I lost my six-year-old cat this summer. I lost my nineteen-year-old cat first in June and his last weekend was pretty miserable and I knew by Sunday morning I was going to have to put him to sleep because he had no joy when he was awake anymore (he had end stage renal disease and in the last week of his life he suddenly lost his eyesight--this was obviously very distressing for him and he seemed confused and stumbly as well). By Monday, as much as I always wanted him with me forever, for his sake, I couldn't bear to have him endure another day like that when he was clearly so unhappy and distressed.

With Thurston, the six-year-old, I had no inkling he was in a near-fatal state of illness until the vet told me and the vet said he would choose to put Thurstles to sleep. I had to make that decision suddenly by just going by how carefully they were handling him at the vet and their somber and grave reactions to what they were finding--I knew he was suffering greatly with every movement they made and he made (and the vet also told me this). Still, I was upset with myself for not intuiting how bad he was and very, very torn because the vet did say that he could drain him out and give me two more days with him but I knew that that action would be for me and it would entail Thurston going through more stuff again and I thought it best to just take that terrible last step now and spare him any more. I still second guess myself when I think of that choice I made but when I really think about it, I know I made the right one for Thurston.

It's so hard. Again, I'm so sorry, fatcat. Like raspberry said, I reassure myself that I gave them a good life and I had nothing but love for them, so even when I'm second guessing my choices I remember that I was basing them on what I thought would be best for THEM, not ME and that's the best place to make that choice from, methinks. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

So sorry for your loss, fatcat. I've never had to make that decision, but I know it would be very, very hard. Hugs to you and your parents.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 pm 

I'm sorry fatcat. It's an awful thing to go through.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 39  Next