| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The 30 Minute Vegan's Taste of Europe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Flipping through this book, I was annoyed to see Guinness recommended to go with one of the meals, double-checked Barnivore, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the Guinness Extra Stout is vegan. I thought all Guinness was made with isinglass. Excite!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The grilled tofu with horseradish sauce is yum. I'd definitely recommend adding more horseradish if you really like the stuff. I could taste it, but I prefer my horseradishy stuff pretty strong. Also, small servings for four people. My husband and I split it between ourselves, with sides.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I haven't delved into the previous 2 books in the series very much, but I love everything I've made from this so far. I've tried:
Gazpacho
Creamy Chickpea Soup
Escar-No (faux escargot!)
Spanish Rice
Paprika Tofu -- awesome!!
Chickpeas and Roasted Garlic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The roasted garlic angel hair is really great, and there are a ton of variations. I forget exactly which ones we used, but it's pretty much a basic starter recipe for a billion different pasta dishes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've made the Provencal Vegetable Salad and the Quiche Monet (France, obvs) and liked both. I don't normally like it when recipes call for things like vegan cheese, but it was only a little bit and it could be left out if need be. My omni parents really liked both of these, also.

Honestly, I really like the first two books, but am less inspired by this one, which is disappointing because I was so excited about it at first. The recipes are just kind of fiddly. I don't know. I need to make more of them before I judge.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I feel like I'm 50% of the posts in this thread, but fork it.

My husband made the Spanish omelette last night, and it was really great. It came together really quickly too, and he's a slower cook. Probably as good as any other vegan fritatta/quiche we've had, but super fast.

We tossed some extra veggies in there. It's nice that that's easy to do without screwing up the recipe, but they're not necessarily needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Keep going! I plan to use this one much more, so your reviews are super helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am 
Nailed to the V

Efcliz wrote:
Keep going! I plan to use this one much more, so your reviews are super helpful.

Seconded!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thirded! I need to use this book!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm loving this book! I've made 5-6 great things from it so far... and have another one planned for tomorrow. I'm gonna write up a review for my blog (since the publisher sent me the book). I'll be sure to share it once I'm done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:

Honestly, I really like the first two books, but am less inspired by this one, which is disappointing because I was so excited about it at first. The recipes are just kind of fiddly. I don't know. I need to make more of them before I judge.

that's exactly how i felt. but now that i'm seeing a lot of great reviews, i'm wondering if i judged too soon, maybe i need to rebuy the book ;) probably not, but still, i was not wowed when i was reading the recipe titles or glancing at the recipes.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Nailed to the V

ameyfm wrote:
I'm loving this book! I've made 5-6 great things from it so far... and have another one planned for tomorrow. I'm gonna write up a review for my blog (since the publisher sent me the book). I'll be sure to share it once I'm done.

Awesome! I can't wait to read it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I didn't make it but I had the paprika tofu with the Spanish rice cooked for me last night. I would cook the onions separately because they were too crunchy for me but other than that I really liked both dishes. The rice makes loads. My husband is not a natural cook but he enjoyed making both dishes and seemed to cope fine with them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

yeah, I loved that paprika tofu. plus, it was super easy to make.

also, reminds me that I never posted my review:
http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/ ... urope.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just made the Quiche Monet. I like it a lot, but it's softer than I'd like. I think that, next time, I'll use just regular tofu, rather than the mixture of regular and silken that the recipe calls for.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

I posted my version of the Spanish Chickpeas and Spinach here:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/12 ... ed-garlic/

Very, very good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

A friend just sent this to me as a present. I am excited!! A lot of things look good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I made a few more dishes from this book this week -
I made the Kermit's Relief (tofu "frog legs" - ew - over shallot white wine sauce): they were SUPER good and quite easy. Really delicious.
I also made the Saffron Quinoa Pilaf to go with the tofu, and it was good - unremarkable, but a good side dish.

Then, a few days later I made the Tofu Schnitzel. I thought it was just okay. I mean, we ate it and all, but not something I'm eager to make again. I felt like it needed a sauce or something more to really make it feel complete. Oh, and with the schnitzel, I made the Beer Braised Greens, which we both thought were a little weird. Honestly, I think I just don't love vinegary greens, so I think it might be more of a personal taste thing.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ameyfm wrote:
......I made the Beer Braised Greens, which we both thought were a little weird. Honestly, I think I just don't love vinegary greens, so I think it might be more of a personal taste thing.

:)

yeah i think it is ;) my hubby likes vinegary greens, i do not.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I kind of skipped over the Italy section of this book because I figured it was easy to make vegan Italian food, but in my quest to eat nothing but asparagus all week, I found the Lemon Tempeh with Creamy Asparagus Sauce and the suggested side of Orzo with Roasted Zucchini. Both were so excellent! There was too much salt in the asparagus sauce, but I could deal with it, and next time I'll reduce it. I used tofu instead of tempeh because the store was out (pressed, then marinated for 40 minutes or so, baked twice as long with a flip in the middle) and a yellow pepper in the orzo because the store was out of red. These are really simple, but have the same flavor profile with ingredients that really compliment the fresh produce. Win!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

awesome! I wanted to try that asparagus sauce, and was waiting for asparagus season. Thanks for the reminder!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

allularpunk wrote:
I kind of skipped over the Italy section of this book because I figured it was easy to make vegan Italian food, but in my quest to eat nothing but asparagus all week, I found the Lemon Tempeh with Creamy Asparagus Sauce and the suggested side of Orzo with Roasted Zucchini. Both were so excellent! There was too much salt in the asparagus sauce, but I could deal with it, and next time I'll reduce it. I used tofu instead of tempeh because the store was out (pressed, then marinated for 40 minutes or so, baked twice as long with a flip in the middle) and a yellow pepper in the orzo because the store was out of red. These are really simple, but have the same flavor profile with ingredients that really compliment the fresh produce. Win!

That sounds very fresh & Spring-tasting!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've made several more things from this. The Fava Beans with Parsley, Oregano, and Thyme were really good. I did the variation with onion and garlic, and used canned butter beans. The Spinach Leek Rice was excellent, but made an enormous amount of food. Next time, I'll cut the recipe in half -- it would still be easily enough for four people that way. I made it with brown rice, increasing the liquid and cooking time. I served those with some steamed chard with a little lemon juice and olive oil.

From the Spain section, I made Spanish Rice and Paprika Tofu. The tofu was more liquidy than I expected, but still very good. Again, the rice recipe made a ton of rice. (I should learn to read the serving information more carefully.) Served those with some greens cooked with capers and garlic and red wine.

From the Germany section, I made Spaetzle Noodles and Baked Vegan Schnitzel. The Schnitzel was good, but I agree with whoever it was above who said that it could use a sauce. Maybe something mushroom-based? The spaetzle was excellent, and kind of fun to make. I served them with some fairly basic braised kale with garlic.

Tonight, I'm making some more French stuff. I'll report back on how it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 pm 
Naked Under Apron

For dinner tonight, I made the Braised Tempeh (actually tofu) with Herbes de Provence, which everybody in my family loved. I cheated and used a can of tomatoes rather than the fresh tomatoes the recipe called for. Also made the rice pilaf, but I had to kind of improvise with that, because I forgot to buy fennel. It was still pretty good, though. I also made the Asparagus Hollandaise, which worked out pretty well. I'd thought the sauce might separate or something, but it held together perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Just used the leftover Hollandaise sauce, reheated on the stove, to make some tofu florentine. The sauce was perfect reheated -- just need to be careful not to let it boil.