| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Movers?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We were just given a quote to move our bed, desk, and a couple boxes of things around the corner to our new place. It was $700. Now that we know what sort of insanity we're dealing with, can anyone give us a good recommendation for a moving co? We're in downtown Manhattan, and literally moving two blocks south. We tried Flat Rate movers, and I sent for a quote to a family-run place in Park Slope. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Cheap Movers?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i used greenbaum movers the last time i moved (http://greenbaumexpertmoving.com/#home), in 2011, and they were awesome. it was slushy-snowing on the day of the move, and they were super-fast and cheerful even though they were cold and wet. i got quoted about $100 an hour for three guys and no truck (i was moving right across the street), with a two-hour minimum, and that was a lot lower than anyone else had offered. i think i wound up being charged for exactly two hours to move three rooms' worth of stuff. i'm not sure whether they work in all of nyc or just brooklyn, but i think it's definitely worth calling them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, oh! I don't know if this is too late, but Movers Not Shakers were amazing. Cost us $550 I think to move from Washington Heights to Brooklyn (to a 3rd-floor walkup), and they moved us in Hurricane Irene. As in, during the damn storm. They came 3 hours early, packed up all the stuff we hadn't gotten into boxes yet (no charge), and were so nice. One guy even hurt himself and didn't freak out. They were all great. Highly recommended!

http://www.moversnotshakers.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

AW! I wish we had seen this sooner, Alice1drland, but we chose a mover that the building recommended, which was the cheapest all around (but still much cheaper than disassembling + moving everything in a Uhaul, which I thought of the day after we moved). Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh well – keep them in mind in the future, for sure! Hope the move was successful!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone have anymore recommendations?
I'm looking to move from the south side of Sunnyside to the north side in Queens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:42 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was really pleased with Meyer's when we moved 3 years ago. It was on the expensive side (4 guys and a truck for 3 or 4 hours was about $750), but we were moving almost all really heavy stuff (we have a crazy-heavy bed with a steel headboard and storage underneath and had about 30 boxes of books) out of a 5th floor walk-up, so we chose to hire extra guys to spread out the work a bit. They were super nice and professional.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i ended up using a "company" that operates completely off the books. it was recommended to me by a coworker who used them for 3 different moves. i was nervous at first but they did a great job with minimal dings to my furniture.
you would be hard pressed trying to beat their price.. $80/hr with a 2hr minimum.
they were able to donate furniture to the salvation army (astoria), pick up furniture from ikea (brooklyn) and then moved everything to my new apt (sunnyside) in exactly 2hrs.