| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cranberry pills
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am prone to UTI's and have been taking a daily cranberry supplement to help ward them off before they happen. However, I am having a tough time finding a vegan variety. As my old stash is dwindling, I'm going to need to buy more fairly soon. I checked Deva's website and they don't seem to have any.

Does anyone have any suggestions or brands they know of/like?

Post subject: Re: Cranberry pills
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My grocery store has own-brand cranberry in veg capsules, so I buy those. But you should definitely be able to find some. Search for cranberry v-caps. Here's one variety: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F4Y700

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Use D-Mannose instead!

Here's why! (I used the spoiler tag because it's kind of long.)

Spoiler: show
How D-Mannose Works
Similar in structure to glucose, D-mannose is a naturally occurring sugar that is found in a number of fruits, including apples, blueberries, and cranberries. In fact, the D-mannose content in cranberries is the main reason why cranberry juice is often recommended for minor UTIs. D-mannose for UTI pain relief and treatment is ideal because it is produced by the body in the urinary tract lining and is available in health food stores as a supplement in powder and capsule form.

The reason why D-mannose is so successful at reversing and preventing UTIs caused by E. coli is because of how it attracts E. coli and causes it to bind to itself. For E. coli to cause UTIs, the bacteria, once they enters into the urinary tract, must be able attach themselves to the lining of the urinary tract. If they are not able to do this, then they simply get eliminated from the body during urination.

E.coli accomplishing this task using tiny, hair-like projections known as fimbria that line their cell walls. At the tips of fimbria are substances called lectins. These lectins are programmed to attach themselves and bind to mannose molecules. Since mannose is produced inside the urinary tract lining, mannose naturally occurs along the lining, enabling E. coli to secure their foothold and begin the process of infection.

The use of D-mannose for UTI pain relief and prevention takes advantage of these same mechanisms of action. Once ingested, D-mannose, unlike other sugars, is not readily converted to glycogen and stored in the liver. Instead, it enters directly into the bloodstream largely unchanged and passes intact through the kidneys, to circulate in the urine. There, D-mannose molecules not only attract free-floating E. coli, but they also cause most of the E. coli already sticking to the urinary lining to detach themselves and then reattach themselves to the D-mannose in the urine, after which the bacteria are quickly flushed away during urination. What little E. coli that are left still sticking to the urinary tract are then easily dealt with by white blood cells and other immune cells.

Because of D-mannose molecules’ ability to circulate throughout the urinary tract, they can even help eliminate E. coli attached to the prostate gland. Best of all, not only is D-mannose completely free of adverse side effects, because it is not metabolized in the body like other sugars, it is safe for people who are diabetic or who suffer from high blood sugar, and it also does not cause weight gain, since the body does not store it.

D-mannose typically eliminates UTIs caused by E. coli in as little as 24 to 48 hours. Moreover, D-mannose supplements can also be taken for UTI prevention, a benefit that antibiotic drugs cannot provide.

The typical dose of D-mannose for UTI treatment is 500 mg (capsule form) or one-half to one teaspoon (powder) taken in a glass of water or juice every two to three hours for five days. UTI symptoms should significantly diminish within the first 48 hours, but an additional few days’ worth of supplementation is advised to ensure best results. For UTI prevention, a daily dose of 500 mg or one-half teaspoon twice a day is advised, and can be safely consumed indefinitely.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks Pinko, I'll check those out. I'm still unsure of the vitamin related stuff (what's vegan and what isn't) and when I looked at my Azo's it says "contains eggs." Grr. And what the fizzle. How can that possibly be needed.

AllularPunk, I did try D-Mannose when I had a flareup many moons ago and don't know why I didn't think to use it for "maintenance." Duh. Great idea!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:03 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've also used plain vitamin c powder mixed with water (it tastes like terrible lemonade) to get rid of UTIs. Maybe that would work too?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:13 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I second the D-Mannose recommendation!
I used to get terrible UTIs a few times a month, I started taking D-Mannose and hardly ever get them anymore.
I only take them if I feel one coming on now, and it will kill it before it even becomes a problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

A few times a month! Good grief, that sucks. I thought I had it bad. My seem to be triggered by a combo of stress, not drinking enough water, and "relations" as my urologist says. That's my trifecta UTI guarantee. I ordered a new batch of D-Mannose, so I'm going to start taking that as preventative.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I get the powder and just use a little when I start to feel the vaguest of tingles. Sometimes I use it just when I know I haven't drank enough water and haven't peed enough after sex. It's less expensive than the pills and you can vary your dosage that way. I went from having UTIs every month to almost never getting them!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

the Amazon man dropped it off today! My husband will be excited, as after the last UTI I told him his penis was ruining my life : )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:25 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Bumping because I have a UTI for the first time in ages, and I am purely miserable. I'm on day 2 of antibiotics, they are making me sick to my stomach, and if I so much see another pint glass of water and/or cranberry juice I will ACTUALLY puke. Feel sorry for me!!!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:31 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Ugh, that sucks, Desdemona! Feeling sorry for you like heck over here.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lepelaar wrote:
Ugh, that sucks, Desdemona! Feeling sorry for you like heck over here.
Thanks - I just threw up rather spectacularly; I don't know if I can stay on this stuff if it makes me feel this ill. It's bad enough to be peeing razor blades, but having tummy trouble on top of it is adding insult to injury.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh, that sucks even more. Can you ask to be switched to a different antibiotic?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lepelaar wrote:
Oh, that sucks even more. Can you ask to be switched to a different antibiotic?
I'm going to ride out the day drinking water, as soon as I can stand it. It's a twice daily dose; I took one at 6am (which I may or may not have puked up; sorry if TMI!), so we'll see how I feel by evening and I'll decide if I want to call again. Right now the plan is to spend the day in bed with Lucy, the World's Best Canine Nurse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's horrible! You should definitely ask NOW if you can get another kind of antibiotics - both for your own sake and to avoid feeding the bacteria too much antibiotica if you're not going to take the full amount prescribed!
Did they grow a sample to decide what kind of antibiotics you should get, or are you just on Sulfa?

You poor thing! If it still hurts, I suggest 1) a heating pad. 2) icecubes to suck on for the nausea.

Big hugs! UTIs are SO evil.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 am 
Chard Martyr

I"m so glad you bumped this thread, Desdemona. I've been getting chronic UTI's with my partner, since we got together. We do everything suggested to avoid them but I get them a couple times a month, which is far too much for me (never got them before)! I've tried cranberry supplements from the HFS and they work but I want something other than an antibiotic for maintenance. Going to give this D-Mannose a try!
Hope you feel better, Desdemona!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:02 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Desdemona wrote:
peeing razor blades

Ugh I know it was just mentioned upthread that it contained eggs but would you consider taking Azo? When mine get bad like this I'll take Azo, eggs be damned. It cuts the pain really well!

Also, it funny I just saw this thread. I'm having trouble sleeping because UTI beginnings. UGH. I took the last of my D-Mannose this morning.

Also, for some reason whenever I have a UTI I really feel like masturbating or forking, but not in a 'horny' way, more like, physically, the feeling of something inside would bring some relief. Is that just me? I feel like the PPK has talked a lot about UTI's but I've never seen anything like that mentioned.

And Meggs, it's so interesting it's just with this specific partner, and hasn't been that way with others. To me, that instantly makes me think that maybe s/he's not as physically clean as others. Have you tried having them shower (and scrubbing their pubic area well!) before the sex? When I was getting them more often the very first thing my doctor said was if at all possible, try to have your partner shower first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

There is an Azo cranberry tablet that for sure has eggs, because that is what I was referring to, but Azo also has a pain/symptom relief tab, and I'm not sure if those have eggs or not. However, I was told by some medical authority along the way that you should not take these if you are already on antiobiotics because it can interfere with the antibiotics working. They are meant to be more for, "fork I have a UTI and I'm not going to be able to get my hands on drugs like this instant" situations.

Knock on wood but so far so good with the d-mannose.

How are you doing now Desdemona? My symptoms always took a few days to respond to the antibiotics, but the antibiotics never made me so ill either. That really sucks. Insult to injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Meggs: have you tried peeing EVERY time you have sex? (any kind: intercourse, oral, touching etc). I have a friend who has to shower every time she has sex, besides from peeing. It has been working for her, and she used to get them all of the time.

I haven't had one in months, I am guessing it's because I pee every single time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars wrote:

Also, for some reason whenever I have a UTI I really feel like masturbating or forking, but not in a 'horny' way, more like, physically, the feeling of something inside would bring some relief. Is that just me? I feel like the PPK has talked a lot about UTI's but I've never seen anything like that mentioned.

When I'm getting one, the very last thing I want is for anything to touch my bits. Sometimes when I get a yeast infection I want to bone, though! Must be the itchiness. I've been trying really hard to remember to pee after every sex session and drink tons of water, and haven't had one in awhile (knocks on wood). I had a weekend where I drank too much and had a sort of sex marathon with T a week or so ago and felt the beginnings, but a dose of D-Mannose did the trick.

I swear, that shiitake is magic.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Thanks, you guys - I am feeling better, but it's been a super lousy few days. Next time I'll definitely go in for the culture instead of taking the lazy route and having the doctor on call order me up a Sulfa sight unseen. It was just that I first felt it coming on late on Sunday afternoon and was not about to go to the ER.
smoothie wrote:
Meggs: have you tried peeing EVERY time you have sex? (any kind: intercourse, oral, touching etc). I have a friend who has to shower every time she has sex, besides from peeing. It has been working for her, and she used to get them all of the time.

I haven't had one in months, I am guessing it's because I pee every single time.
This is what I always do, and I think it has definitely cut down on their frequency. I haven't had one in awhile and it's funny how you forget how much they suck.
Mars wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
peeing razor blades
Yes, I get that, too - I think it's just about wanting something that feels good to be going on down there, instead of the opposite.