| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: St. Louis -- where are my fellow Gateway Grasseaters?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

booberthefraggle wrote:
Niev wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
Hey guys! I'm officially moving to STL (mid-summer)!
I'm going to grad school at WashU, and I have exactly one burning question:

where is the best coffee near washu?
because wow
that is my #1 priority all the time.

hooray!

WAIT WHAT

I'm an undergrad here! We should meet-up! I know a couple of awesome places. I love Coffee Cartel, Kayak's is great, MoKaBe's is supposed to be the shiitake, but I haven't tried it.

What grad school are you entering? OMG, I'm so excited! I know so few vegans in this area! We should have dinners! I hope I'm not coming across as creepy (whoops)

The Whole Foods here is actually superb. Wish I could make it out there more often.

Yay!! yes! many hangouts should happen!
I'll be out there by early august, we definitely have dinners!
I'm going for an MFA, so it's technically through the sam fox school part of washu!

Yay! Do you have a facebook? We should be friends. I'll be back in St. Louis mid- to late-August. Do you know what area you'll be living in? I'll be living right off the loop. I'm a sophomore, so it's a little weird to live off-campus you're second year, but it's cheaper than on-campus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

just4peas wrote:
Hey all!

My husband just accepted a job in STL - so we are relocating from St Paul! We had a few hours to drive around a bit, we liked Tower Grove Park South & East so far, headed back this weekend to look around some more. We like crunchy hipster hoods - good for bike riding, walking, coffee shops, people watching. We are a couple of tattooed up, sober vegans in our 40's - who act like we are 20, with a big old german shepherd in tow. Looking for an old interesting property to put our mark on and make our own. We looked at parts of Dutchtown, wondering about others to check out? We live on the east side in St Paul now - not the nicest of hoods so we aren't scaredy cats when it comes to the locals and such.

Hi there!

I'm just outside of St. Louis, but I don't check this thread too often, so I just now saw your post. Have you moved to the area yet? If not, I'd suggest you check out Cherokee Street and the surrounding area. Very eclectic, hippie-ish, with plenty of places to eat, shop, etc. They have I Scream Cakes and Black Bear Bakery right next door to one another, and both are vegan-friendly!

Tower Grove, as you already mentioned, is great too. I especially love Local Harvest Cafe and Grocery and Mokabe's, although The Vine is not to be missed if you like Middle Eastern food. Maybe check out Maplewood, too. It's good for walking, window shopping, people watching...not so much for bike riding though.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions about the area. I'll try to answer the best I can! And welcome to the area!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

HEY Y'ALL
I'm going to be in your city (for 2 years!) around the first of august!
we should hang out!
I'm driving there from Maine, so I'm not sure exactly what date i'll be there, but what's good? what's happening? what's to do?

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 pm 

I'll be back in St. Louis around that time, too! I don't know much about things to do, I do know that there are a couple of cool restaurants pretty close to the university. And I know the Grove is just kind of a cool place to hang out, Cherokee too, lots of antique shops. And I think an arts and crafts fair is coming up?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the grove like tower grove? I'm living right next to that!
we should def have mad hangouts in STL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 pm 

Tower Grove, yeah. I mix up areas in St. Louis quite a bit, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm thinking of. A few friends and I manage to head up there every so often because they have the best and cheapest restaurants in STL.

And definitely!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm in the area, too, so I agree that hangouts should happen!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

hey y'all!! we should do a meet up !
I'd be totally willing to host something, or we could all go do something vegany somewhere!
I've got classes or work most weekdays but my weekends and friday afternoons are hella open most of the time.

anyone?
I know only one vegan in this whole city!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we could make vegan candycorn in my apartment if I can find the recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

booberthefraggle wrote:
hey y'all!! we should do a meet up !
I'd be totally willing to host something, or we could all go do something vegany somewhere!
I've got classes or work most weekdays but my weekends and friday afternoons are hella open most of the time.

anyone?
I know only one vegan in this whole city!

This is a good idea :D

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

okay so who knew that treehouse had vegan lox+bagels on their brunch menu and didn't tell me??!! I had that 2 weeks ago and I'm STILL thinking about it
also, everest cafe has a student deal on their weekday all-you-can-eat buffet featuring some KICK asparagus vegan options (which are labeled as such!)
and coffee cartel over in the central west end has vegan options on their menu and THEY ARE OPEN 24 HOURS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:29 pm 

Oh, damnnnnn, I didn't realize that Treehouse had brunch options. shiitake, I'm excited. Have you tried their vegan cheese plate, btw? Sooooo good.

Also, just in case no one was aware, Piccione Pastries, which recently opened on the loop has vegan tiramisu and macaronnes, and they are SO GOOD.

And yes! We should have a meetup!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

OMG I didn't know about Piccione carrying vegan macarons! That's exciting. I've had Treehouse's vegan brunch croissants and donuts, but I didn't know about the bagels and lox. That's pretty cool.

I just found out that Strange Donuts over in Maplewood will be offering vegan donuts every Friday. They tried it out for the first time this past Friday and sold out like right away. So I think it was a popular idea!

Oh, and there's a new place called Seedz opening in Clayton soon. All vegan, I believe. Don't know too much about it yet though.

And I second (really, fourth) the meetup idea, though I live out on the Illinois side of the Mississippi where there's zero vegan options. It's very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:06 pm 

beethecookie wrote:
I just found out that Strange Donuts over in Maplewood will be offering vegan donuts every Friday. They tried it out for the first time this past Friday and sold out like right away. So I think it was a popular idea!

Oh shiitake, I need a car ASAP. I really love donuts, the only place I can ever get them is in NYC and now I'm so happy, thank you for this perfect, perfect news.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Nailed to the V

Fyi, fellow Arch Vegans. There's a new restaurant opening up on Locust called Small Batch. It features a 100% vegetarian menu, plus a wide selection of whiskeys, bourbons, and beers. They are doing a soft opening this weekend, and then they are open for good starting on Jan. 2nd. Excited!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm 

I'm hoping to head to Strange Donuts tonight to try their donuts. Has anyhqd their vegan flavors? Any favorites?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm 

Update on Strange Donuts: Dry, they may have been a day old, or I'm spoiled by Las Vegas Donuts.

In other news! There's lots of vegan events happening in STL this month. There's a breakfast for dinner potluck going on in Tower Grove!

You can join this Facebook group for other cool stuff. The local Whole Foods has HEMP tofu now? I'm mad excited.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sad to hear about Strange Donuts.

The hubby and I went to Small Batch the second night after their grand opening; it was pretty good. Unfortunately, their menu skews heavily toward vegetarian and much less to vegan. They'll cater to vegans as much as possible, but mostly everything contains egg, cheese, cream, etc. The food we did have was very nice, so that's a plus.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 am 
Nailed to the V

Hey all! Just wanted to let the Stl'ers know that Lulu's Local Eatery is having its soft opening tomorrow at noon. Previously, Lulu's was a vegan food truck with amazing food and a focus on local produce and vendors. Now they have their very own storefront! It's located on South Grand, just a block or two from Treehouse. You should check it out; I'm addicted to their food.