| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The thread in which to casually discuss our horoscopes.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I was thinking it would be fun to have a thread to chat about the various weekly/daily/whichever horoscopes we might read. I know the majority of the PPK is not interested in discussing pseudosciences, for good reason! But I feel like I come across many people like myself in the world, those of us who are very much all about hard science but still find enjoyment for no particular reason in astrology.

I love reading my horoscope! I read Rob Brezny's once a week online, and I will also occasionally flip to the back of a newspaper if one is near and read those ones too. I love Brezny's though because of how he always finds some (usually) historical anecdote or myth to relate his readings to. I almost always very strongly relate to what's being said in my horoscopes, and if occasionally it doesn't resonate quite strong there's at least something there I can make relate. I have no issues at all with the fact that it's quite random, I find that one problem I often face with my own self is trying to take on way to many issues and roads/paths, so reading a horoscope that sort of fleshes out one thing I'm already thinking about makes a nice excuse to focus and try to avoid my usual scatterbrain approach.

So anyways! I especially love my horoscope for this week, which is why I thought of creating this thread.

Post subject: Re: The thread in which to casually discuss our horoscopes.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:19 pm 

Rob Brezny wrote:
CANCER (June 21 - July 22)

Thomas Gray was a renowned 18th-century English poet best remembered for his "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard." It was a short poem -- only 986 words, which is less than the length of this horoscope column. On the other hand, it took him seven years to write it, or an average of 12 words per month. I suspect that you are embarking on a labor of love that will evolve at a gradual pace, too, Cancerian. It might not occupy you for seven years, but it will probably take longer than you imagine. And yet, that's exactly how long it should take. This is a character-building, life-defining project that can't and shouldn't be rushed.

SACRED ADVERTISEMENT
"For a relationship to stay alive," writes James Hillman, "love alone is not enough. Without imagination, love stales into sentiment, duty, boredom. Relationships fail not because we have stopped loving but because we first stopped imagining."

Make this your hypothesis. The next time you sense that you're about to say the same old thing to your closest ally, interrupt yourself and head off in the direction of storyland.

Love this! I've been thinking so hard about long-term ideas actually! Especially with career and where-to-live. I feel like the idea that I feel most strongly passionate towards is also the one that is the most terribly unrealistic and almost shameful for someone like myself. But since I read this horoscope I feel some boost of confidence to discuss it. Oh man I feel like a nutter but I'm going to say it. I want to be a tattoo artist. Yes, I know this is not nuts at all for many people, but I feel like I'll be laughed out of town if I try and pursue it. My art style is very child-like, and it takes me many hours to draw something. Also, I have only one tattoo of substantial size. The other four are mostly quite tiny and were done unprofessionally in someone's house!

But when I read this horoscope it instantly made me think of this. I have always felt drawn to this!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I love reading my horoscope! I don't put a lot of stock into it, really, but I enjoy seeing things that do remind me of 'me' in them. I'm a very stereotypical virgo, but I'm sure a lot of people all over the astrological map are as well. Anywho, I totally love the very friendly tone in which that dude writes! Gonna go read mine in a second. And if you want to be a tattoo artist, freaking go for it! I know there's a lot of stuff you probably have to do to get there, but like it said, it will take exactly as long as it should.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Quote:
SACRED ADVERTISEMENT
Butterflies, moths, hummingbirds, and bats love to drink the nectar that flowers offer. In return, these pollinators are expected to get some pollen stuck on their bodies and carry it away to fertilize other plants.

While the nectar is tasty, it's usually not pure sweetness. If it were, the first pollinator to come along would suck it all dry, leaving nothing for further visitors. And that wouldn't be good from the plant's point of view, because it would limit the number of places where its pollen would be disseminated.

To keep nectar-drinking sessions short, therefore, most plants include a touch of bitterness in the blend.

Haha! I love this!

Also, I just did mine and T's exact birthdate compatibility and it literally describes our relationship exactly. Spooooky!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Last edited by allularpunk on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm 

Haha yesss, my friend is a virgo and she could really do with cutting off a certain someone who is currently kind of sucking her dry. :/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I do find it difficult sometimes to cut people off, but my 'touch of bitterness' is really more like a torrent of bitterness when I finally get there.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I LOVE horoscopes. I don't have a regular one that I read, but I had a life horoscope made when I was born! I don't really believe in it, but I like the way it makes me reflect on myself and how I act and what I choose to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I love astrology zone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:37 am 

Rob Brezny wrote:
CANCER
Bees and other insects can see ultraviolet light, which is invisible to humans. When they look at flowers, they detect designs on the petals that you and I cannot. For example, the evening primrose appears completely yellow to us, but it calls seductively to bees with a flashy star pattern at its center. Many of the secret signs that flowers offer the pollinators are meant to guide them to where the pollen and nectar are. Let's use this as our metaphor of the week, Cancerian. I am not predicting that you will be able to perceive a broader spectrum of light. But I do believe you will discern cues and clues that are hidden from most people and that have been imperceptible to you in the past.

Ugh man, I've thought so often about how sad I am for being unable to see so much of the spectrum of light. I wish I could at least imagine it! So bad!

Rob Brezny wrote:
SACRED ADVERTISEMENT
In the Western Hermetic version of the Qabala, every Hebrew letter is paired with a number, and so every word is also a number derived from the addition of its letters. Gematria is the practice of finding hidden resonance between words that have similar numerical values. Of the many poetic truths revealed through this art, one of my favorites is this: The Hebrew words for both "serpent" and "messiah" add up to 358.

Let's suppose this can be interpreted to mean that the snaky potency of your reproductive drive is potentially the source of your salvation. What implications might that have for how you cultivate the art of ecstasy?

Um. "snaky potency of your reproductive drive". How did he KNOW?!?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars wrote:
Ugh man, I've thought so often about how sad I am for being unable to see so much of the spectrum of light. I wish I could at least imagine it! So bad!

You CAN see ultraviolet light, though. Just not very well.

If you acquire a couple of UV filters of the appropriate wavelength, fashion goggles out of them, and then sit in the dark for an hour before going outdoors, you will be able to see ultraviolet.

I used to have directions for making ultraviolet filter goggles, but now I can't find it again. It was pretty interesting and potentially dangerous (you're going into bright sunlight with your eyes totally dilated and behind a filter, so you could damage your retinas if you aren't careful), which means it's extra fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i love astrology :D great thread idea mars! the astrologer i am addicted to reading (so much so, he has a permanent spot on my bookmark toolbar) is jonathan cainer ( www.cainer.com ). the very first time i read his horoscope i was stuck in a live-in job as a waitress/barmaid at an old english hotel called "the bird in hand"... i opened up the paper, looked at the libra column and the first sentence was "you are feeling frustration with a certain "bird-in-hand" situation" and i almost fell over backwards. that was in 2002 and he has been pretty much bang on the money for me ever since then.

and i am totally going to check out rob brezny right now :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

im a fan of this thread topic! I read my horoscope mostly on weekends, in newspapers. I also look forward to Neil Somerville releasing his yearly Chinese Zodiac horoscope book (I'm SUCH a monkey!) . That trusty yellow jacketed book walks you through an entire Chinese lunar zodiac year for your sign, based upon the current year's sign. Its a gem. Www.neilsomerville.com I get mine at Walmart usually every year for the past few years, but i see on the website there is a signed version! Surprising affordable. Wish list material, that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Rowan wrote:
I love astrology zone.

Me too! My friend got me sucked into reading Susan Miller's monthly forecasts and now I have the iPhone app too, which gives an abbreviated free daily forecast.

I try not to take it too seriously, but I confess that I now avoid making too many concrete plans during a Mercury retrograde. There's also been lots of good news for my sign (Libra) lately and it's encouraging, as I'm trying to get more motivated career-wise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm 

Rob Brezny wrote:
In an episode of the TV show Twin Peaks, special agent Dale Cooper gives the following advice to his colleague Harry: "I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen." Now I'm passing on this advice to you, Cancerian. It's a perfect time for you to try out this fun game. You are in a phase of your astrological cycle when you'll be wise to intensify your commitment to self-care . . . and deepen your devotion to making yourself feel good . . . and increase your artistry at providing yourself with everything you need to thrive.

Haha! When I watched this episode about a month ago, I remember telling myself to totally take that advice for myself! It's such good advice.

Oh, and I totally just remembered: Today after work, I bought myself a 6-pack of 'scented' highlighters. Just for fun. I saw them, and just kinda said... YEP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mine today is spot on, actually:

Quote:
Even if you're stressing over significant issues, ultimately they won't matter all that much in the long run. You want to resolve a conflict, but the specifics of the situation are not as important as you may be led to believe. Too much information could make you anxious because you want to focus on the bigger picture. Unfortunately, it's always a challenge for you to let go of the details. Taking the time to relax or meditate allows you to put your worries into proper perspective.

How do they knowwwww?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 am 

Oh man. So I read this horoscope. And was like... how do they know this is exactly what I want to/need to be doing with K right now (K being a boy with whom there is drama)

AstroBarry.com wrote:
CANCER (June 21-July 22): 'What have I got to lose?' should be your calling-card this week, Cancer, as a number of astro-influences set you up to powerfully alter the swing of a certain relationship… and, even more excitedly, to your most longed-for ends. In other words, simple declarations of exactly what you want from that special someone—especially when you're not shy about demonstrating just how much happiness their amenability will bring you, and how happily you'll return the favor of making this coupling a pleasurable experience for all parties—are especially likely to be met with very satisfying responses. That does require you, however, to be candid and straightforward, allowing your desire to just baldly sit out there for this object-of-your-affection to see, in full light (even though your bashful side might prefer to offer tentative and ambiguous intimations, which could be suddenly pulled back should you doubt someone's mutual interest or if they become spooked). Such directness definitely does qualify as a major risk… but, oooh, just think about the potential reward.

But then I read his...

AstroBarry.com wrote:
LIBRA (September 23-October 22): One of the most critical and personally significant things you can do this week, Libra, involves uttering a resolute no to others' attempts to get you to do what they want, when, in fact, you'd much rather stay home. You can read this advice on a fairly circumscribed level, deploying it simply to ward off the undue (and, frankly, disruptive) influence of certain individuals, at a time during which private self-nurturing respite is clearly favored. (Wouldn't surprise me, by the way, if those you say no to are rather taken aback by your refusal to fulfill the expected role of going-along-with-their-flow. Good to keep 'em on their toes.) But you can also broaden the scope of this horoscope… extending it beyond the relatively modest cause of preserving a bit of fleeting peace-and-quiet, into larger questions about how real-or-imagined 'other people' have colonized your internal landscape, in a conscious-or-not effort to strong-arm you into following their agenda. From that context, the 'no' you'd utter would carry that much more life-claiming significance—and feel that much more triumphantly liberating to recite.

OH MAN. It's like this Astro Barry just KNEW that Cancers and Libras are just Not Remotely Compatible this week. So it kind of made me feel like I shouldn't do that whole laying it out there what have I got to lose thing. But honestly the urge to get some conclusion to all this boy drama is so strong, I was already planning on doing it regardless of this. It helped make me more confident to get it done though. And I did. Today I sent a message that I'm so proud of, and coincidentally both accomplishes the task which my horoscope sets out, and avoids the issue of asking the Libra for anything which seems like it would be futile.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I like reading a wrong horoscope (for another sign) but reading it as though it's mine. never fails to be "oh yeah, that's so me!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I do not read mine, in part due to wondering ... I am a Capricorn but I was a premature baby and had I been born when I was supposed to be born I would have been an Aquarian ...

Anne, who shares her birthdate with Sherlock Holmes & Syd Barrett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Read one yesterday that pretty much said "sometimes a Taurus just has to accept they can't do everything by themselves an accept help".

The hard headed Taurus that I am was like "how appropriate. Screw horoscopes! That shiitake is a pile of woowoo."

Then I was sad for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

joshua wrote:
I like reading a wrong horoscope (for another sign) but reading it as though it's mine. never fails to be "oh yeah, that's so me!"

Haha, so true.

My Gemini 'scope is never even close to true to me but I can make it seem like that through a series of self-deceptions and misguided goals. I totally still read them though!

ETA: Everyone makes fun of and hates Geminis though! fork all y'all! There's two of me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Quote:
Gemini (May 21-June 20)
Philosopher Eckhart Tolle suggests that "there may be one person who reflects your love back to you more clearly and more intensely than others." For some of us, this numinous reflection comes from a special animal. Whatever is the case for you, Gemini, I urge you to devote extra time to your relationship with this creature in the next 14 days. Meditate on how you could provide more nurturing and inspiration. Brainstorm about the possibility of deepening your connection. What practical actions could you take to boost your loved one's fortunes?

I thought this was the perfect horoscope to discuss with the PPK.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 pm 

D'awwwwwwww

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Quote:
The Cancerian soprano Kirsten Flagstad was regarded as one of the great operatic singers of the 20th century. Critic Desmond Shawe-Taylor said that "No one within living memory surpassed her in sheer beauty and consistency of line and tone." She specialized in the operas of German composer Richard Wagner, whose master work, The Ring of the Nibelung, takes 15 hours to perform. Flagstad was asked to name the single most important thing she needed in order to perform Wagner's music with the excellence it demanded. Her answer: comfortable shoes. Regard that as good advice for your own life and work, Cancerian -- both literally and metaphorically. It's time to get really well-grounded.

But I can never find comfortable shoes because my feet are weird-shaped.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
Quote:
The Cancerian soprano Kirsten Flagstad was regarded as one of the great operatic singers of the 20th century. Critic Desmond Shawe-Taylor said that "No one within living memory surpassed her in sheer beauty and consistency of line and tone." She specialized in the operas of German composer Richard Wagner, whose master work, The Ring of the Nibelung, takes 15 hours to perform. Flagstad was asked to name the single most important thing she needed in order to perform Wagner's music with the excellence it demanded. Her answer: comfortable shoes. Regard that as good advice for your own life and work, Cancerian -- both literally and metaphorically. It's time to get really well-grounded.

But I can never find comfortable shoes because my feet are weird-shaped.

Gonna have to get some custom made then! (for free obvs)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:38 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

These are my favorite horoscopes, in case you all were wondering.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/11/astrology-gifs-for-the-week-of-november-18-2013.html