| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medicating dog with Xanax for thunderstorms?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Saw the vet today and mentioned my dog's anxiety re thunderstorms - she shakes, pants, and hides under the desk. Always has. Vet suggested Xanax and gave me a prescription. I am generally against meds especially for possible risk/side effects reasons, but don't want my dog to suffer needlessly either. Do any of you medicate your dog for thunderstorms or other reasons? Any advice or reassurance that it's safe, or any issues you have had with doing so? Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: Medicating dog with Xanax for thunderstorms?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am 
Chip Strong

Xanax (alprazolam) is pretty safe for otherwise healthy dogs, from what I understand. It didn't work for my dog unfortunately -- it may have even caused some increased anxiety. But, we've even tried a tranquilizer for car rides (also from the vet) and that just made her clumsy but not at all calm, so maybe she's just impervious to sedatives.

I'd say it's worth a try, though. I know it does work for some dogs, and my dog didn't have any side effects at least. I have a pretty anxious pup, and I really wish I could help her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 am 
Saggy Butt

My dog has A LOT of anxiety about a lot of things (including thunder) and we gave him xanax for a while. It seemed to slightly lessen his anxiety at first but seemed to stop helping at all after a few months. He took it every day for a while and then only during really anxious periods (like between christmas and new year's when there are a ton of fireworks) for a while then totally quit. We didn't notice any side effects or ever felt like it was unsafe.

One thing worth noting: what we really noticed when he first started on the xanax wasn't that he stopped being anxious but that he was able to recover from his panic attacks much quicker. He was still scared during a thunderstorm but he'd be able to calm down and be happy after it was over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Xanax can be a great tool, especially if combines with something like the Thundershirt. Sometimes one or the other isn't helpful but in severe cases a combo can be life altering.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:52 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

We use doggie Xanax for our dog Stevie Wonder on the 4th of July and it helps her so much. She's still a little nervous, but not trembling uncontrollably or panting madly and so on. Once we gave her a little too much, and it just sorta made her dopey, but it didn't seem to bother her in any other way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vee takes a low dose of generic Prozak everyday. It's not our favorite, but it greatly reduces his anxiety and general neuroses.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

our greyhound maia absolutely needs to be medicated for thunderstorm anxiety (and now for fireworks as well); we've been using xanax for a few years now, although this year we increased her dose and saw a definite improvement. she wears a thundershirt during storms, too.

we're also trying a low dose of fluoxetine (prozac), daily, in conjunction with the storm-xanax. we've tried a few combinations for her (she is better in the off-season, but during spring/summer/early fall she needs all the help she can get), and this is our current cocktail. fingers crossed that this is the one that works!

we're going to work on desensitization once the storm season is really over, in the hopes that will really help, too. a panicky dog is no fun, poor girl. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

kittee wrote:
Vee takes a low dose of generic Prozak everyday. It's not our favorite, but it greatly reduces his anxiety and general neuroses.
xo
kittee

Same. It doesn't affect Chester as much as I thought it would, really, but it does reduce his appetite which isn't something you'd have to worry about short term.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've had cats on anti-anxiety meds and it seemed to help both of them. I was also eventually about to wean them off of it.