| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copenhagen!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I am hoping for some native advice as to where is good for vegans in Copenhagen! I was just accepted onto an artist residency program there and will be staying from January til May.

So far, it looks like there are a couple of vegan and raw places on HappyCow, a few falafel places, some squats and a couple of sushi places which do vegetarian maki and so on.

I also saw on The Urban Housewife that there are some organic bakeries called Det Rene Brød who have vegan pastries, which I am excited to try.

Any suggestions too of products in supermarkets would be good too. I am hoping there'll be a good kitchen where I am staying!

Thanks in advance. I'll try to add things to this thread as I find them.

Post subject: Re: Copenhagen!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

emmaaa wrote:
native advice

Smoothie. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=290

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I lived in Denmark (Aarhus) for a year. Generic kitchen stuff (fruits, veg, grains, spices) are reasonable - but any other vegan thing (soy products, seitan, *milks) are really expensive by non-Danish standards. Restaurants are also really expensive, easily 2x what I would pay near SF or in Berlin, and even more than what I would pay in the Netherlands. Irmas or Foetex are like Whole Foods. In Aarhus, I bought at the farmers market, Loevbjerg or in Middle Eastern markets. Rugbrod (rye bread) is awesome - a lot of people make it at home, so see if you can get a starter or instructions from someone (*or become fast friends so that when they bake, they'll save you a loaf).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh! And thistle oil. Wow. (Danish groceries have a really amazing selection of vinegar and oils which I miss here.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i just saw this thread! i live in Vesterbro just off Hovedbanegården (the central station). while i wouldn't say copenhagen is a vegan mekka, i've managed to be vegan for 7 years with no problem! which art program did you get accepted into? where are you going to live? let's hang out when you get here! my exams are done on the 9th of january,after that i will have time to hang out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Ah, thank you Smoothie and Lutin. In the meantime I have had to cancel the Copenhagen plans, because of financial problems, but I'd still like to visit in 2012!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm coming here in April, let me know of all the best places to hit up in a three night trip! I've just discovered there's a Naturbageriets round the corner from where we're staying, which ticks off all my breakfast needs! ("and how much is that extra seat for the flight back going to cost me?")
We're staying in Vendersgade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Bun, Smoothie, anyone else who loiters around this area with some frequency... our trip is next week.

I've raided Happy Cow for some suggestions, and we're hitting the Naturbageriet near us.

On our other-things-than-eating-list, we've got Frederiksberg Have, Tivoli Gardens, Christianshaven, museum of Danish resistance, Carlsberg Brewery, the Science centre, Nyhavn, and a day trip to Malmo (mainly to go on the bridge and eat in all the vegan restaurants happycow says it has).

Is there anything we're missing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Buuuump. My boyfriend and I are celebrating my last ever spring break by spending a week in Copenhagen (and less than 24 hrs in Amsterdam.). We'll plan on hitting a bunch of the things mentioned on happycow, but we're getting a vacation rental with a kitchen so we're also going to cook a lot of our own food.

If there are any must-eats/drinks/sees someone should let me know! So far all we've got for sure is Mikkeller Bar. We are beer nerds. Am also glad to transport any US-specific vegan products across the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hey, my husband and I had a trip to Copenhagen, we really enjoyed it! We stayed in a hotel opposite the Kalaset bar; we ended up eating there a lot of the time because we were too lazy/tired to go anywhere else! They do a great vegan brunch, good dinner.

Otherwise, we went to the Naturbagariet (sp?) and got some pastries; the staff member was very nice, the pastries were okay, it was very wholemeal tasting. The botanic gardens were good, but it rained while we were there, so we didn't survey the whole place, although there was a greenhouse in which you could walk up the stairs and take a trip about the roof! There was a pretty cool postal museum (?!) which had a vegan hotdog stall (well, a regular hot dog stall wth a vegan option) right across from the entrance. For that trip, that pretty much sums up the vegan shiitake. We did go to Mikeller, and really enjoyed it. Didn't check the veganicity of each beer though. Met some nice Danish people there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sorry I haven't been checking in! I never visit these forums, but if anyone ever needs any advice, just email me: ditte.whocares@yahoo.com!
Things that are good to know about Copenhagen:
-Tips are not really used here. Most places will have tip jars, but your server won't get them - usually the tips are collected and used for a christmas party or something like that. So don't worry about it.
-Danish people generally speak pretty fluent english; don't feel bad about asking people for help, most people will be super friendly and help you out with any questions you might have.
-Taxis are crazy expensive, but there are busses and trains going everywhere. You can find a map at bigger train stations. You can opt for renting a bike pretty cheaply or just walk - I like walking around here, and the city is small enough that it's actually doable.
-The city is filled with awesome vintage stores and it is VERY easy to spend a lot of money while walking around, so be careful :)
-Take good care of your wallet/phone when you're walking around in the inner city. It can be crowded and things can get lost. Mostly Copenhagen is an almost crime free and super safe city, but the inner city has a lot of pickpockets!
-Copenhagen has A LOT of cultural institutions compared to it's size!
-A lot of museums have free days, so check it out. For art, I recommend Glyptoteket (free on sundays), Statens Museum for Kunst (the state collection, always free and very amazing) and if you want to take a day trip, one of the most amazing places in the world, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art is located just and hour from Copenhagen by train. Davids Samling has one of the biggest collections of islamic art in Europe (maybe the world?) and it's always free.
If you're into science or history, there are A LOT of awesome museums as well; Geologisk Museum, Arbejdermuseet, Zoologisk Museum, Botanisk Have..
-Copenhagen has a lot of parks and during the summer, people spend a lot of time in the parks hanging out, playing games, drinking beer.. You are allowed to drink almost anywhere and danes come outside AS SOON as the weather allows it.
-Almost all places are smoke free, but you can either stand outside and smoke, or just sit at an outside table.
-The boat ride [url=http://www.yelp.dk/biz/netto-bådene-københavn-k#query:kanalrundfart]Natto-Bådene[/url] is a pretty cheap and amazing way of exploring the city: you get to spend an hour on a boat, touring the city from the channels. Copenhagen has a lot of water, and the city is really charming like that.
-If you're into theater, ballet, opera etc. Check out Det Kgl. Teater.
-[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/cinemateket-københavn-k]Cinemateket[/url] is one of my favorite places. They have all sorts of obscure and geeky films, and they even have sundays where they show danish films with english subtitles! (Denmark has a pretty special film culture and there are made a lot of brilliant danish movies!)
-Mikkeller Beer Bar is really awesome if you're into beer! And it's located right next to where I live, which is a pretty awesome place with plenty of thai and sushi food options.
-There are SO many small, cozy cafés and restaurants and shops in Copenhagen. Copenhageners like hanging out with their friends and drinking coffee and beer - you will probably notice that most cafés feel kind of like a living room filled with people.
-The legal drinking age is 18 here.
-AirBnB is really popular here; I recommend looking for a room/apartment there! It will be cheaper than any hotel and way more awesome. The area Nørrebro, and the streets around Jægersborggade, Elmegade, Blågårdsgade etc. are really nice.

Here are my suggestions for food:

Brunch can be had at either Kalaset or Café N. Both are delicious, but I definitely like Café N more - it's a mostly vegan place, and they serve brunch and different menus and make pretty decent burgers. It's kind of whole-foody and very very delicious. You get your burger menu with a fresh squeezed juice!

For lunch/dinner, I can recommend:
Green Sushi who has a vegan menu!
Morgenstedet located in Christiania - it's very hippie micro macro-ish, but they usually have a really excellent noodle salad!
Thai Asien located in the inner city harbor called "Nyhavn", a gorgeous (but very touristy) area. Most things can be made vegetarian - just ask for it, ask them to hold the eggs and add some extra tofu. Their Pad Thai is DELICIOUS.
Riz Raz - a middle easter buffet, pretty cheap, decent food, ask the staff what things are vegan.
[url=http://www.yelp.dk/biz/ahaaa-det-arabiske-madhus-københavn]Ahaaa Det Arabiske Madhus[/url] (the arabian food court) - serves THE BEST falafel in town (and Copenhagen is the city of falafels!) - The only place I've ever had a similar falafel was at L'as du Falafel in Paris, which is world known. Ask for hummus instead of dressing, and have them add some aubergine. You won't regret it! It's located on the same street as Café N.
Halifax Burger Restaurant has delicious vegan options, with a pea burger patty. There are several located around the city. It's a high end burger place.
Wagamama is a delicious noodle bar, located both inside and just outside Tivoli in the center of the city. They have several vegan options - just ask for rice noodles instead of wholegrain noodles! I love love love the "yasai chili men" with rice noodles. The seaweed salad is a mix of three kinds of seaweed salad, and it's delicious! The raw salad is really good as well!
[url]Atlas Bar[/url] are always happy to help you out, their servings are big and the food is really tasty! It's located in the inner city, in what is locally known as "Pisserenden" (I think it's called "the latin district" in most english guide books, for no reason I can comprehend!)
[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/haps-københavn]Haps[/url], located right next to Nørreport has this menu for 50 kroner, where you get a HUGE baked samosa (the vegetarian one is vegan) + a bunch of different salads. It's very cheap and super delicious.

Recently, there has been an addition to the city's vegan options:
[url=http://www.krak.dk/f/öz-urfa:66019414/2200-københavn-n]öz Urfa[/url], a regular junk food place now has a vegan junkfood burger option!
[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/silans-pizzeria-københavn]Silan's Pizzeria[/url] now has the option of vegan meat and vegan cheese on your pizza.
(I haven't tried these two yet, but they're getting great reviews!)

HappyCow Copenhagen seems to know a lot more restaurants than I do.
One thing I will recommend, though, is to not give up just because there is no mention of vegan food on the menu. There are almost no places that label things as vegan, even if they have tons.

You can get the most delicious vegan rice milk ice cream at Is à Bella - there are several locations, I recommend the one located in Torvehallerne right next to Nørreport Station. Torvehallerne is this really neat place filled with small stalls of gourmet foods. One side is mostly vegetables, bread, spices, candy etc. The other one is mostly meat and fish and poultry - so avoid that one.

As for non-restaurant/café eating, here are my tips:
-Vegan bread is EASY to get a hold of, and danes are serious about bread: Lagkagehuset has several types of bread without milk, same with Emmery's and the bakery in Torvehallerne. Supermarkets will have a lot of vegan bread options as well (although, not as exciting!).
-Most health food stores will have several types of vegan spreads: Streich is a delicious sunflower seed spread, Tartex is pretty widely available, a lot of places you can get stuff like smoked tofu spread.. The best place for food shopping is Spidsroden in Nørrebro (close to Ahaaa and Café N) - they have A LOT of vegan things.
-A lot of regular supermarkets will have vegan products as well: Irma is the most gourmet and expensive, but they have things like soy icecream (called "Tofuline"), Alpro soy yogurt, vegan "meat slices" (at some locations), hummus, and of course veggies, fruits, soy milk etc. SuperBrugsen will have the same vegan ice cream, and alpro yogurt. Rema1000 has the alpro yogurt. A lot of the discount supermarkets often have accidentally vegan things: Fakta has this "bruschetta" in a glass jar, which is delicious and really cheap. In most parts of the city (besides from the inner city) there are plenty of green grocers - in Nørrebro you can get vegetarian samosa's EVERYWHERE and they're usually vegan.
-Naturbageriet and Det Rene Brød are two bakeries with vegan pastry options. I totally don't think they're worth the trouble, but I know other people love their stuff!

I think that's what I have to offer for now.. But just email me if you guys have questions!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

smoothie, thanks for the tips--next time we're in the big city we will know where to eat!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, smoothie, this is amazing. My partner and I are ending our Swedish trip in Copenhagen (it was cheaper to fly out there) so we were going to spend a night or two - this guide will be amazing, thank you!!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You're welcome :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

I live right across from Spidsroden. Alan the eco viking is so chill. There are also lots of vegan soup kitchens in CPH at squats and collectives; the best ones are Thursdays at Ungdomshuset and Wednesdays at Bumzen. The food is delicious, the vibe is nice, they often have dumpsterdived food you can bring home, and its only 20 kr or a donation. SUPER cheap for CPH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

But you totally have to be into the scene a bit to attend the soupkitchens and have fun with it, in my opinion!
And yes, Alan is chill!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rainbowwine wrote:
Wow, smoothie, this is amazing. My partner and I are ending our Swedish trip in Copenhagen (it was cheaper to fly out there) so we were going to spend a night or two - this guide will be amazing, thank you!!

I just read in the sweden-thread that you like salted black licorice. Denmark is the glorious land of salty licorice! You should DEFINITELY try the Pingvin brand called "Polet" or "Poletter". It's vegan and it's SO GOOD. It's my favorite candy ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

smoothie wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:

I just read in the sweden-thread that you like salted black licorice. Denmark is the glorious land of salty licorice! You should DEFINITELY try the Pingvin brand called "Polet" or "Poletter". It's vegan and it's SO GOOD. It's my favorite candy ever.

YES! Thank you so much for this tip - I'm definitely going to be seeking this out!!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it's sold virtually everywhere :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am 
FAYGO

Hey everyone.

Later this year, I'll be stopping in Copenhagen on my way elsewhere and was wondering if you think I'd have time to see (or eat) anything interesting while I'm there. I land at 6 AM and depart again at 12:30 PM. Assuming all goes well, I think I should be out of the airport by 7 and need to be back by 11:30, leaving me 3.5 hours. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:48 am 
Saggy Butt

I was in Copenhagen last week and loved it! I didn't find it exceptional for vegan food but there are enough options. Here's what we found:

Green Sushi - awesome! loved the vegan set. probably the most creative vegan sushi i've had. and they had a local beer.
Raw 42 - great food! good shakes and smoothies.
Naturbageriet - lots of vegan options though honey was listed as an ingredient in one of the things he told us was vegan. pastries were good, european style though not american style - so somewhat dry and less sweet.
Soupanatural - meh. we thought there would be more vegan options. the guy was really helpful though and they had a local beer on tap.
Harbo bar - great breakfast plate and super friendly staff. seems they don't normally have a vegan plate like we thought they did but they had no problem veganizing it for us and even gave us a discount.

We also ate thai food twice - once when we were super hungry and it was getting late and once after we couldn't get in to any of the places with vegan options (saturday night). Both times they were nice about making vegan stuff.
Hope this is helpful!

eta: oh! we spent way too much time wandering around Illums drooling over all the Danish design stuff. highly recommended if you like that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SeitanSaidDance: You'll definitely have time to get something to eat. If you take the metro from the airport to Nørreport (20 mins) you'll be in the city center.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:18 am 
FAYGO

Awesome! Thanks, smoothie!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm going to Copenhagen in a few weeks and am looking for a good weekend brunch/breakfast place. Any recommendations?