| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 175  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:56 pm 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4109
Location: Nottingham.
lavawitch wrote:
Also: does anybody else see the intense irony of the British government whining about losing cultural heritage?

*cough* Elgin marbles (and everything Budge stole from Egypt) *cough*


It's because everything belongs to England. Like shoes. And crabs. And Pluto.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4683
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
8ball wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Also: does anybody else see the intense irony of the British government whining about losing cultural heritage?

*cough* Elgin marbles (and everything Budge stole from Egypt) *cough*


It's because everything belongs to England. Like shoes. And crabs. And Pluto.

Yeah, no. Because I think you'll find Scotland invented all of those things, bish. Along with knickers and hamsters and Jupiter and the UNIVERSE. Also, flip-flops.

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:09 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: A New England
8ball wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Also: does anybody else see the intense irony of the British government whining about losing cultural heritage?

*cough* Elgin marbles (and everything Budge stole from Egypt) *cough*


It's because everything belongs to England. Like shoes. And crabs. And Pluto.
Dude, they gave Pluto away when it turned out to 1. not have any exploitable resources, and 2. not even be a real planet. Keep up, will you?

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:34 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
So I finally watched "Blurred Lines" and read the lyrics. My first thought as I was watching the video was that it was dumb and I didn't really get what was going on. Then I read the lyrics and I can't get past this line, "I'll give you something big enough to tear your asparagus in two" Whoa, that's sexy? I'd be terrified if someone said that to me. I mean, is this a personal preference thing or is this some crazy violent language? Why can't you just have sex with me, why must you rip me limb from limb? I see that type of language in various media and it reminds me of porn that talks about destroying women's bodies. I don't know, I feel like I have a lot of thoughts on this video/song and that it's just another example of how forked up our ideas of women are and how we treat them on a whole. When it comes to pornography, I feel it's very difficult to find porn that doesn't talk about or show a man actually hurting women (using language such as, "destroyed her kitten," "made her bleed," "ripped her white asparagus," etc), and while I know that pain fetish exists, the extent to which these have become the norm is kind of scary and it's leaked out into mainstream culture as it becomes normalized and I don't want society to adopt this view all over again.

I had a lot of feelings regarding that song/video but this was just one of my thoughts.

TL; DR: Same old, same old.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/3 ... 82209.html

What the what?

There's so much wrong with this, starting with whatever is considered a good girl/bad girl and how the hell he gets to define who falls into which category.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Yeah, he is totally not a sexist douchebag because he has been with the same women since forever.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:10 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: Edinburgh
My brother was talking about this song on FB (he doesn't like it, btw), and one of his friends dismissed it as OK because he supposedly wrote it for his wife. I've heard enough about it to know that's not true without even listening to the song, but even if he did write it for his wife, that doesn't make it not sexist.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4593
Location: Surrey, UK
Wow! I've been loving that song and singing along with some of it, because it really is catchy. But I never even knew what half the words were. Except that they use the word bisque too many times!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:07 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8648
Location: Maryland/DC area
As someone who grew up listening to a lot of mainstream rap/hip-hop, I'm pretty used to dismissing misogynistic lyrics. And I don't mean to say that all rap/hip-hop I listened to was misogynistic and often you get some strong female voices in there but it was pretty prevalent. Hell, I didn't know what half of any of the music I listened to when I was a kid/young teen/teen meant until much later when I tried listening to it, like really listening to it. Not that I've really listened to anything recent as most of my music is still stuck in the 80s/90s but the few times I did hear the song on the radio, I thought it was catchy. I do agree that even though a lot of the music has misogynistic roots, we can do better and we should try to it.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4109
Location: Nottingham.
Desdemona wrote:
8ball wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Also: does anybody else see the intense irony of the British government whining about losing cultural heritage?

*cough* Elgin marbles (and everything Budge stole from Egypt) *cough*


It's because everything belongs to England. Like shoes. And crabs. And Pluto.
Dude, they gave Pluto away when it turned out to 1. not have any exploitable resources, and 2. not even be a real planet. Keep up, will you?


Pfft, we still have the royal family and they're not real. And just cos Scotland invented something doesn't mean England can't claim ownership.

This challenges my feminism. How is a 13 year old a sexual predator?!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/barrister-who-called-young-girl13-a-sexual-predator-suspended-from-abuse-cases-8748494.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
interrobang?! wrote:
8ball wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Also: does anybody else see the intense irony of the British government whining about losing cultural heritage?

*cough* Elgin marbles (and everything Budge stole from Egypt) *cough*


It's because everything belongs to England. Like shoes. And crabs. And Pluto.

Yeah, no. Because I think you'll find Scotland invented all of those things, bish. Along with knickers and hamsters and Jupiter and the UNIVERSE. Also, flip-flops.


Actually I just read that Syria invented hamsters.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1447
Location: Berlin
Desdemona wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
All I saw were log-cabin walls- personally I saw the 'fallen' part as her just being a crazy cat lady, but there's nothing in the interior shot that, for me, suggests a trailer or a reservation more than any other type of dwelling. Of course, there are tons of things that are problematic with this photo and the photo essay in general. I just didn't see that as one of them.
On closer inspection, you're right; maybe I was being hyperinterpretive because I was already weirded out. Then again, the log cabin scenario could reinforce a colonial interpretation of her "fall," if we want to imagine that's what the artist was going for.

I had the same first thought as you, though.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
forking, forking, forking, fork! This happened: http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/08 ... story.html

And someone replied in the comments (I know, I know) with this:
Quote:
Is there any proof that the guy actually took a picture? Or is it another hysterical woman assuming that because he's a male he did something perverted to her daughter? She even said she didn't know that he took a picture, probably just made it up in her mind.
Most likely scenario: guy goes to store to buy something. mother is not paying attention to her child. guy looks at item a few feet from the child. mother freaks out and accuses him of being a pedophile. guy freaks out and gets away as fast as he can. mother smears guys image all over the internet without a shred of proof. stuff like this happens every day in this country!


Hasn't this crasshole ever heard of security cameras?! I just want to punch my pillows right now.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I would say that that is shocking, except that our friend's 8 year old had a stalker in Georgia. They had to move because the police were really unhelpful with enforcing the restraining order. This was a grown man who would follow her everywhere and was constantly showing up at her school and on her school bus route. So, yeah. And that comment is nutso.

I think the way the police treat female victims challenges my feminism pretty much daily

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Gallifrey
It's not the police who said that. It peas me off that someone would jump to that conclusion. That because she's a woman, she must just be hysterical because a man went near her daughter and that she's going out of her way to ruin his life.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1255
Our despicable mayor, the dishonorable and wretched Filner, is working my last nerve. So many wronged women, new ones every day. How did this guy get elected?????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Mr. Shankly wrote:
It's not the police who said that. It peas me off that someone would jump to that conclusion. That because she's a woman, she must just be hysterical because a man went near her daughter and that she's going out of her way to ruin his life.


My point wasn't about your story. Its the way that they often will not enforce restraining orders and other protections for women. Erika SoyF posted about that as well.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5621
Location: A New England
Mr. Shankly wrote:
forking, forking, forking, fork! This happened: http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/08 ... story.html

And someone replied in the comments (I know, I know) with this:
Quote:
Is there any proof that the guy actually took a picture? Or is it another hysterical woman assuming that because he's a male he did something perverted to her daughter? She even said she didn't know that he took a picture, probably just made it up in her mind.
Most likely scenario: guy goes to store to buy something. mother is not paying attention to her child. guy looks at item a few feet from the child. mother freaks out and accuses him of being a pedophile. guy freaks out and gets away as fast as he can. mother smears guys image all over the internet without a shred of proof. stuff like this happens every day in this country!


Hasn't this crasshole ever heard of security cameras?! I just want to punch my pillows right now.
This story was followed up on the local news; apparently the guy is due to appear in court this morning, so yeah. Stories (and comments) like this just make me wonder what in the hell is wrong with some people?

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4412
Location: Toronto, ON
Today people saying "we don't need feminism anymore" are challenging my feminism.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:55 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I heard both Blurred Lines and Get Lucky on The Colbert Report, and they're both so rapey. I feel like there is such a tone of men as predators and it sucks to know that you're going to have to raise your daughter to remember that.

And I hear you Mr Shankly, I was reading a piece on porn, with a female author talking about how hard it was to find porn that didn't talk about women being "destroyed" during sex. Why is there this whole bizarre fascination with the penis as a blunt weapon of destruction?

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: Central PA
How is "Get Lucky" rapey?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
It sounded like the guy was singing that the woman was awake partying and having fun, and he was basically waiting it out to get lucky and have sex with her.

She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

Its not as rapey as Blurred Lines, but it still made me feel not so comfortable.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Tofulish wrote:
It sounded like the guy was singing that the woman was awake partying and having fun, and he was basically waiting it out to get lucky and have sex with her.

She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

Its not as rapey as Blurred Lines, but it still made me feel not so comfortable.

But then it goes to

We're up all night til the sun
We're up all night to get some
We're up all night for good fun
We're up all night to get lucky

Which sounds to me like they're both going to have some good fun and get lucky.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3815
Yeah, that's how I understood it, jdub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19105
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Yes, and I see that part too. It just reminds me so much of that guy who attaches himself to a woman and waits out the evening, which happens way more than it should. Heck, its happened to me way more than it should. So for me, it lands as rapey and a bit triggering, even if it doesn't land that way for other people.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 175  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer