| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need new cookbook but overwhelmed by choices
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:05 am 
So Totally Yiffy

So, I haven't bought a new cookbook in several years now but am feeling the pull so I really want to. But SO many have come out in the past few years, I don't where to begin so I thought I would solicit some suggestions. Here are some basic parameters I was thinking of to (maybe?) narrow things down:

I am looking for super-easy to prepare batch cooking-type foods as I work a ton and eat on the run at work so don't have a lot of time for cooking. I hate books where each ingredient is something like XXX (see page # for recipe). I can't spend a lot on ingredients either and I can't handle really spicy foods. The books I use most are VWAV, Veganomicon, Appetite for Reduction and 1000 Vegan Recipes.

Any ideas would be really, really appreciated! Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Need new cookbook but overwhelmed by choices
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you don't buy cookbooks often, I would try to hold out for Isa Does It! It'll be out in October (I think?) and would probably fit the bill. Most of the recipes are designed to be weeknight-friendly kinds of things, and a few of them do make a fair bit of food. During testing I either halved recipes, or had enough to feed two people over at least two nights (or a night and then lunch the next day). Ingredients are all super accessible, too. A lot of cookbooks use stuff that's hard for me to find, not being in the US and all, but I had no issues while testing for this one. A lot of the recipes from testing are go-to meals in my house now- and I have a pretty busy work/study/volunteering/gym schedule too.

If you do want something now, Vegan Sandwiches could be good. I didn't really expect to use it that much when I bought it, but it's been pretty great. Sandwiches are always quick and easy, and there are a few that we have for dinners pretty often (my partner asks for the reuben once per week!). I found that the wrap recipes were great for work lunches too, since I could make up the full batch of the filling at the beginning of the week and then just put the wrap together each morning. A lot of the recipes do use the seitan recipes that are in the book, but there's no reason you couldn't just buy seitan or use tofu or whatever if you don't have time for that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I agree about Isa Does It! I tested, and lots of those recipes are in our regular rotation, even without having a book to pull out yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love 1000 Vegan Recipes too and use it all the time! I know it's more of a themed book than a general one, but The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen is such a great book for quick, simple recipes that don't use unusual ingredients, and everything I've made has been really tasty. The emphasis is on fresh produce, beans and grains rather than seitan, tofu and faux cheese. The preview on Amazon shows a lot of the recipes, but not mains unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Karena wrote:
I love 1000 Vegan Recipes too and use it all the time! I know it's more of a themed book than a general one, but The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen is such a great book for quick, simple recipes that don't use unusual ingredients, and everything I've made has been really tasty. The emphasis is on fresh produce, beans and grains rather than seitan, tofu and faux cheese. The preview on Amazon shows a lot of the recipes, but not mains unfortunately.
I'll second The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen; it's an encyclopaedia of deliciousness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'll second vegan sandwiches save the day.

i'll add quick fix vegan and/or vegan on the cheap by robin robertson ** my hubby is not vegan and he LOVES the recipes in both these books

the great vegan bean book by kathy hester

vegan brunch by you know who ;) **my hubby LOVES isa's tofu scramble recipe

i am buying isa does it when it comes out in october. julie hasson (author of vegan diner) also has a pizza book coming out in once month that i am buying too.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'll second Robin Robertson's Quick Fix Vegan. As far as balancing simplicity and speed with tastiness I haven't found a better cookbook. For weeknight cooking I like it better than 1000 Vegan Recipes, Vegan Brunch or Vegan on the Cheap. The recipes make 4 servings so if you want to make a really big batch you might have to double them.

With that said, I haven't tried any recipes from Isa Does It yet, but I have preordered it. I have Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen but haven't cooked out of it yet. I don't have and have not tried Vegan Sandwiches or The Great Vegan Bean Book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

VeganChick wrote:
I hate books where each ingredient is something like XXX (see page # for recipe).

I really like Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day but that is the reason I never use it, you always have to have already made 10 things in order to make any of the recipes it seems. If that drives you crazy I would stay away.

You might like Vegan On the Cheap. I think it fits most of your parameters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Awesome! Thank you for all the great suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the pepperoni stick recipe in 'vegan on the cheap' is worth the price of the book alone. OMG so good. not-vegan hubby loves it! the black bean burger recipe in that book is another of my hubby's fave recipes too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:43 am 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
the pepperoni stick recipe in 'vegan on the cheap' is worth the price of the book alone. OMG so good. not-vegan hubby loves it! the black bean burger recipe in that book is another of my hubby's fave recipes too.

I haven't made those particular recipes but whenever I've tried making a recipe from Vegan on the Cheap, it's inevitably taken 30+ minutes longer than cooking something out of Quick Fix Vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LFL wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

I haven't made those particular recipes but whenever I've tried making a recipe from Vegan on the Cheap, it's inevitably taken 30+ minutes longer than cooking something out of Quick Fix Vegan.

the stuff i've made from VOTC has come together fairly quickly for me, but i don't time things, and the book isn't marketed as "quick" for prepping and cooking. plus i try to chill and relax when i'm in the kitchen so i don't mind if prepping, chopping, etc.... takes longer than 30 minutes. if hubby helps, then it goes much quicker!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

I have really enjoyed The Great Vegan Bean Book so far and it hits all your criteria. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganChick wrote:
So, I haven't bought a new cookbook in several years now but am feeling the pull so I really want to. But SO many have come out in the past few years, I don't where to begin so I thought I would solicit some suggestions. Here are some basic parameters I was thinking of to (maybe?) narrow things down:

I am looking for super-easy to prepare batch cooking-type foods as I work a ton and eat on the run at work so don't have a lot of time for cooking. I hate books where each ingredient is something like XXX (see page # for recipe). I can't spend a lot on ingredients either and I can't handle really spicy foods. The books I use most are VWAV, Veganomicon, Appetite for Reduction and 1000 Vegan Recipes.

Any ideas would be really, really appreciated! Thank you!

soooooo....... have ordered anything online or checked anything out of the library?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hoping to soon!
It's been a crazy two weeks at work and with a limited budget, I want to look at online previews before spending it :).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

One of my most used is 30 minute vegan. I cook from it a lot at work when I have to make a bunch of stuff in a small amount of time. It also has a good amount of raw recipes too. It does have some "see page xx for recipe", but generally it's sauces that you can use a bottled version for instead. I've also used a lot of their ideas in the margins like making bread crumbs by blending pretzels and nooch (great for GF applications, since it's hard to find GF vegan bread crumbs.)