| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nontraditional students discuss college
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Hey all! I know you are out there! Whether you are going back to school after a long break, working full time, going to school part time, trying to juggle kids/family life, etc.

I am in my mid 30s, no kids, 2 pups, 2 kits, married, working full time, in school for my 2nd masters (for the moment).

My last class was intense, this class is not so much. I actually find it difficult to study/concentrate for it considering the class is so slack. I really enjoy our class discussions and what we are learning but I wish it was a bit more than it is.

Of course this will be my last class at this school as I am dropping out to take classes at the local community college for my possible next career. I am considering taking 2 classes but not sure. The class schedule comes out next week so I can see what my options are for classes.

What are you up to?

Post subject: Re: Nontraditional students discuss college
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm out here!

I went back to school in 2009 after getting laid off. For the 9 years up to that point I was working full time and usually had a second job.

Losing my job was incredibly hard on me, but I hated it. I've always wanted to do copy editing so I'm finally working on an English degree with a plan to go into the masters of book publishing program.

I'm really loving being a full time student. I'm working only one day a week and I'm kind of loving that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a husband, no kids, 4 cats, 1 rabbit, and full time+ job (which has had me thousands of miles from home and normalcy for 10 months now), so my only choice for my (Global History) masters degree was on-line. I am slightly over half way done. The last class was a nightmare, but I've enjoyed the rest. I put off my 3 electives until the end of the program, so I'm really looking forward to the flexibility of the next few courses.

I need to get the degree for career reasons, and I love history, but I never expect to use it. Luckily it's mostly being paid for by the military.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 am 
Chip Strong

I guess I'm non-traditional, I did the dual enrollment thing in high school, dropped out before I finished my associate's and took some time off. I was an online student for 2 years before moving to SF to finish up my degree. Single, no animals, part time job.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 am 
Nailed to the V

I guess I could have added I'm late 20's and married with 2 cats!

Rubella, I did dual enrollment in high school too! My mom only let me take one class the very first quarter, and she had to be the one to take me there and drop me off. The college kids totally knew I wasn't one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know how nontraditional I am. But I am a huge nerd. I finished up five years of uni last year with a degree, Honours and a Graduate Diploma. But since I've now moved to the city with the best university in the country, I've decided to tackle a Masters part time while working full time next year. Glutton for punishment? Absolutely. But I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:53 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I have a partner, three sons, two stepdaughters, a dog, and a cat, and a big, drafty old Victorian house; I am also a non-traditional student. I left school shortly after getting pregnant with my oldest child, returned part-time after having two more kids (attempting to balance part-time school with full-time work: not the best idea at the time), and finally went back full-time after leaving my museum job. On balance, I'm glad I've done it this way; I'm definitely more invested in the process, because I've had time to think seriously about what I want to bring to/get from the experience (and let's face it, I also had time to read a lot more books). I recently finished my MA, and now Imma get me a PhD!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm impressed by all that juggle full time work with school! Maybe I could have handled it a couple years ago, but now I get so distracted and stress out easily.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 am 
Bends forks with mind powers

I'm finishing my social work undergrad in December! I'm 27, and I returned to school after getting an Associate degree in occupational therapy and working for 2 years. I have no husband, no wife, no kids, no mortgage, but I do have an absolutely adorable cat who seems to require expensive vet services on a semi-annual basis...

I'm debating on whether or not I want to jump right into grad school. Right now I'm leaning towards not, mostly because I want to garden, cook, travel, volunteer, and learn some crafts- all things I've been unable to do much since I've been in school. I change my mind a lot, though, so we'll see...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay!
I'm going to art school (again) after leaving a different art school, working full time, biking halfway across the country, then going to a university for a year.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:04 pm 
A Bad Person

Some of my instructors are my age or younger and they make me wonder what the fork I've been doing with my life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:09 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

You guys make me miss school so much ;_;

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I went to community college for about 120 credits. I know, I know! I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. Still don't. But I enjoyed being able to take any class I that sparked my interest. I still *technically* don't have my associates. Heh. During that time, I took of semesters here and there, so it took a while to accumulate that many credits.

I took about two years off from school, moved from my smallish city to Chicago and enrolled at UIC. After a really crappy semester full of distractions from my exBF, I took another break. That lasted about three years.

Now, I'm 28 and I work full time at Whole Foods. Earlier this month, I reapplied to go back to UIC. I finally picked a major. Phew! It's too early to know if I got in yet, but I'm pretty hopeful. Now to worry about paying for it....

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

kara kara wrote:
I went to community college for about 120 credits. I know, I know! I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. Still don't. But I enjoyed being able to take any class I that sparked my interest. I still *technically* don't have my associates. Heh. During that time, I took of semesters here and there, so it took a while to accumulate that many credits.

I have at least that many from community colleges - I took a class here and there and they add up!

It was awesome being able to transfer into Portland State as a junior though!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 pm 
WRETCHED

I graduated undergrad with over 300 units (330? 350? not sure) Mostly because I switched schools and switched majors but I also took some optional classes and went to school every summer.

I haven't encountered teachers my age or older, yet. I think that may come when I start doing the community college classes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm going back to school for my masters at the age of 28. There are a bunch of grad student my age, but they're all finishing up their PhD. Also, I have to retake calculus so I have a class with freshmen 10 years younger than me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Steffers! wrote:
I'm impressed by all that juggle full time work with school! Maybe I could have handled it a couple years ago, but now I get so distracted and stress out easily.

My work is pretty awesome in that everyone gets paid study leave- something like 3 or 4 hours a week- to attend lectures. And you get a study expense of around $1,000 to cover books and those kinds of uni expenses. It's a pretty good deal, I think that coupled with study only being part time shouldn't be too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:26 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I guess I would be a nontraditional student. I am 26 almost 27 with a infant son and a boyfriend. I have my AA from a community college. I have about 100 + credits and am close to graduating with a degree in history. Unfortunately my school is making things hard on me. I have been told that my classes that are suppose to full fill my requirements no longer as accepted and I more than likely will be disqualified from school. This means I will not be able to take classes and so on. They've done things like this before.

So my back-up plan is to go back to the community college and either enter nursing or veterinary technician. It's just hard being a part-time student and part-time worker and not being able to efficiently take care of my family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 am 
Chip Strong

Steffers! wrote:
I guess I could have added I'm late 20's and married with 2 cats!

Rubella, I did dual enrollment in high school too! My mom only let me take one class the very first quarter, and she had to be the one to take me there and drop me off. The college kids totally knew I wasn't one of them.

Haha that sucks. My parents both worked out of town and since they didn't let me get my driver's license as soon as I could (I even had a car sitting in the driveway) they had to pay for me to take a cab every day. So I was the weird girl stepping out of class in high school to call a cab to go to community college, and then taking a cab back. Also, probably because it was a community college most of my fellow classmates were a great deal older than me, and I was 16 when I started. I also got way better grades than most of them so they probably hated me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm starting to get nervous about the idea of going to a community college. Has anyone else ever gone to a community college after getting their BS/BA?

The class schedule came out today and I've decided I'm only taking one class, its 3 hours of lecture, 3 hours of lab per week. I was considering taking the online version of the class but I found ratemyprofessors.com which basically said the professor is very difficult/doesn't explain well and the classroom class is difficult but the online class is impossible. I don't know how much merit to put into it because I know students are more likely to complain than not but who knows. I think maybe I've become too comfortable with grad classes where if you get a C, you might as well have gotten an F and the professors aren't out to fail you but if you are doing bad in the class, you better drop otherwise you buck up and do the work.

So now I'm thinking whether or not I give up 2 nights of my week up or give up my entire Saturday for the class. Not sure.