| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

DancesWithTofu wrote:
I ordered a scoby from a lady and have just started brewing my own. If anyone gets in a bind and needs a scoby, I'd be happy to send you one.

ooh! oooh!! *raising hand high*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am bumping this thread since my first batches are going well and i have already promised my firstborn scoby to eager local admirers.
i started my batch from a bottle i bought at the HFS, it was ginger (not GT's, a dark bottle that looked like a chemical bottle?) and it is awesome.
i like it straight so i am still sorting out how to flavor it and all and will have fun reading the whole thread.
ETA: ooh, meant to share that i am using the continuous brewing method in an old sun tea jar with a spigot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

UPDATE-- whoever came up with that lavender lemon kombucha, you are a frigging genius. I just almost fell over, that stuff was so good. Even better, everyone else in the house ¨hates¨kombucha so IT IS ALL MINE MWAHAHA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:23 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i totally overbrewed my last batch. SO SAD. I am growing SCOBYs like crazy cakes.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

This thread is making me a little sad that I'm not making kombucha anymore. I had a really bad scare in which a bottle of kombucha exploded. Full out explosion, glass shot over 20ft across multiple rooms, through hard plastic containers in the pantry, up and down three rows of shelving the whole nine. It took me 3 hours to get everything clean and I still found little pieces of amber glass around the kitchen, living room and pantry weeks later. Very scary with a toddler running around. Thankfully it happened while she was asleep and thankfully I'm the only one who managed to always find the random tiny pieces of glass in the other rooms days and weeks later. I've started shopping on a self-imposed tight budget so even buying kombucha on tap is more than I want to spend right now. Sigh...I miss my fizzy 'buch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yikes!!! i have an old plastic sun tea thing i could give you!! (it's a dollar store special though- you know, spigot on teh bottom... the kind of thing that will be on end of summer closeout soon....)

i am having a rough work week and have been overcaffeinating to survive this far since, oh, last week. But it was only today after drinking the 'bucha that my mother looked at me and told me maybe it was time to start drinking water. Yeeha, cut off by my mom.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm 

holy crepe that is scary!

all the booch in my fridge was like vinegar. dumped it out. sad face.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it hasn't even been a week (last batch took 2 weeks) and the batch was JUUUUUUUST on the edge of vinegary smelling. I am fridging it just in case it's drinkable but bummer. Even worse, it was made with my favorite cardamom tea, but something made it just ferment way too fast.
Maybe i'm putting in too much sugar. I need to stop eyeballing and start measuring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

I but a full SCOBY in this time and it's been 3 days and it seemed vinegary :/

I just saw this and am working on reading/processing it: http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/#Less Yeast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Inflexitarian

torque wrote:
yikes!!! i have an old plastic sun tea thing i could give you!! (it's a dollar store special though- you know, spigot on teh bottom... the kind of thing that will be on end of summer closeout soon....)

i am having a rough work week and have been overcaffeinating to survive this far since, oh, last week. But it was only today after drinking the 'bucha that my mother looked at me and told me maybe it was time to start drinking water. Yeeha, cut off by my mom.

Thanks! That's super sweet. I didn't even know you could store kombucha in plastic. Everything I see has always been glass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i figure as long as i'm not using super hot water, why not, right? after your experience with glass, i think i'd probably avoid glass at all costs.
thanks for posting, appif. i will have a read.
i also have noticed that the scoby isn't popping off babies the way i expected. when i first grew it from the bottle, i had it in a small glass carafe. then i put it in the sun tea thing and it expanded to fill the top. it's getting a bit thick but not like a baby is coming anywhere. one of my mom's friends is eagerly awaiting the baby and i feel like such a heel telling her "no baby yet" every week when she asks me. but seriously, no baby yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

So that article you linked to there makes it clear that i have been doing kombucha totally wrong!!!
i assumed that the stronger the tea, the better. maybe that was the first problem......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so, my kombucha is making good kombucha, after i did a bit of a reset with only green tea and much less sugar, etc, and now this week back to a mix. BUT still no baby scoby. And i have to push the scoby down every day at least once, since it is getting so much gas under it that it's always actually out of the liquid. the link you posted, appifanie, talks about this, just saying push it down and that's about it. but it is sort of a pest. i've been thinking about how i could keep it submerged. no ideas yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

From what I've learned about kombucha you don't have to push the SCOBY down. Every batch acts differently, sometimes the SCOBY stays submerged but usually it ends up rising to the top. Mine have always risen to the top with lots of bubbles underneath by the end and the kombucha has always turned out well and tasted great. I've also always grown a baby SCOBY with each batch this way, the baby grows under the floating big one and they are the same size. I didn't know it was possible to make kombucha without making another SCOBY.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

still no scoby! and the scoby itself is not hugely bigger.
reading suggests the yeast are too active (maybe due to temperature, it is living on my back porch that gets warm).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Inflexitarian

Scobys tend to like warm amd grow faster in warmth. Maybe add a temperature strip to the side of the container to see how hot it is really getting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hm, that's a good idea. soon it's going to be cold out on this porch, too cold for the bucha (it's also my "office", yikes).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

so, i did a hard reboot, i guess. took everything out and cleaned the container (i was using a spigot and the continuous brew method). when i was dumping out the kombucha (which was vinegary already after only a few days) i noticed that the sludge at the bottom really, really smelled like yeast. so i cleaned all that out. couldn`t wash with soap since all we have is antibacterial soap (ugh) but rinsed it out well with vinegar.
remade the liquid according to recipe.
soaked the scoby in white vinegar for the time it took to clean and make the new tea. "massaged" it out and found air pocket blister things inside the scoby. also lots of brown schmutz. cleaned all those weird floaty strings off it.
put it back in and the scoby is now half under and half surfaced. it is still not clear, as the leftover tea (1.5c) was cloudy. but i have high hopes for this batch. it was getting too vinegary, and i think the yeasts were out of control (considering how warm it's been it seems to make sense).
now let's see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

update on sunday: i tasted and it was still sweet. amazing. before it was already tart and carbonated after only 3 or 4 days.
It is half cloudy and half transparent, divided right in the middle, which is interesting. and the scoby is now mostly just under the surface, not above.
also, weather is changing, and the brewing area is getting cold. i think i will have to move it to the basement (maybe 65F) where at least it is stable- the porch oscillates now from hot (80 on a warm day) to 45 at night now.
but the reboot was definitely worth it. should have done that before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 am 

i've slacked on this thread because i totally forked up my booch and I gotta put some work into it. today. that's today's goal. fix the booch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I *just* finished bottling my first batch ever of kombucha - after an initial ferment of 8 days it smelled about "right" to me, so I went ahead and bottled it (one jar with blueberries, one with ginger, and one is a combo), and now my plan is to let it sit for a few more days on my desk before refrigerating. Is it normal for it to already be fizzy? I do want fizz but I have no idea what's normal, I've been checking a million sites for signs that it is. Fingers are crossed! The scoby looks fat and healthy, so I am patting myself on the back for that one, no mould, phew!

Also, where should I store the scoby before making my next batch? I keep finding mixed reviews about the refrigerator...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mine always had a bit of fizz in it after the first fermentation so it sounds like you are on the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh, and I always stored mine in the fridge with 1 1/2 cups of kombucha and it was always fine. I actually haven't made any buch in a while and probably won't be for the foreseeable future but my SCOBY is still hanging out in my fridge doing great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks! I covered my scoby in a glass container in the fridge, and I'm feeling better about the early bubbles :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next