| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 81  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
Thanks! It was definitely an amazing time/experience and the riding out there is something else!!

Jordan, I can give you a better break down if that would help of where the money went but right now its roughly:
Flight to UK : $1200 (we waited pretty long on this but you can get flight for ~$850)
Total expenses: $1000

The nice part when flying back was they over booked our flight and gave us $800 cash offsetting the cost of the trip quite a bit. You could definitely do it cheaper too as we got a couple hotel rooms along the journey.

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
$1k for total expenses is mad good. you spent, what, two weeks there?

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1140
Ya, you were super lucky to be bumped and compensated! Regardless, 1K is very good. Did you borrow the RV or rent that? (Sorry if I missed it.) The RV seems to be a key element. Or, touring rigs with a tent maybe.

I love that you did this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:39 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
\o/ Renshaw confirmed he's heading to OPQS. looking forward to that a lot.

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:59 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 1069
Location: Denver
Not an athletic feat, but a bike related milestone none the less: finished building my first wheel set today! Nothing ultra fancy, as they're for my daily rider/touring bike (deore hubs, sun rims, dt Swiss double butted spokes - and, ok, went for broke and bought schwalbe marathons). My brief test ride tonight says they ride well, but I cannot wait to ride them tomorrow. Oh my god I am excited!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1140
An impressive feat, Olives! Happy new wheel bike ride tomorrow!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
dunno if anyone's interested, but here's a 5x5min doco about Shane Perkins and Keirin racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1YVoT ... ry&index=1

and related, from a few years ago, there was a show called "Hungry Beast" that did a piece on Shane Perkins called "The Human Machine" that delves into some science involved in what he does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H6fU9VNgQ

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:02 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
any PDX-ers interested in this?

Pedaling for the Pasture Ride: 100 mile "Century" fundraising ride in benefit of Out to Pasture Sanctuary.
https://www.facebook.com/events/558041157589373/
Saturday, 7 September 2013

either way, pass it on! spread the word :)

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Portland
I think I can do that! I need to check my racing schedule, but I'm a tentative in.

I did a crit yesterday, and it sucked! I started in my little ring, and was off the back by the time I got into my big ring. DERRRRRRRP. Good workout and cornering practice, though. Then I ate pizza and drank beer and stood around with Josh and some other friends watching the fast ladies and dudes race. Watching the woman who rode away from the senior women's pack on the second or third lap to stay away and win was something else.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
joshua wrote:
$1k for total expenses is mad good. you spent, what, two weeks there?


yeah 15 days total.

~Sz wrote:
Ya, you were super lucky to be bumped and compensated! Regardless, 1K is very good. Did you borrow the RV or rent that? (Sorry if I missed it.) The RV seems to be a key element. Or, touring rigs with a tent maybe.

I love that you did this!



yeah absolutely! We rented the RV which was $320/person for 10 days (there were 4 of us). We were going to do a car and camp everywhere when only 3 of us were planning on going.

Olives wrote:
Not an athletic feat, but a bike related milestone none the less: finished building my first wheel set today! Nothing ultra fancy, as they're for my daily rider/touring bike (deore hubs, sun rims, dt Swiss double butted spokes - and, ok, went for broke and bought schwalbe marathons). My brief test ride tonight says they ride well, but I cannot wait to ride them tomorrow. Oh my god I am excited!


Nice! Marathons are worth the investment even if theyre a little pricey.

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 1069
Location: Denver
The marathons seem awesome. Truthfully I might not have bought them if I didn't get a pretty big discount. Took the new wheel for a nice long spin around the foothills yesterday. They rdoe great. I remain pleased with myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
Nice! What width did you go with? I just picked some up for my commuter which sees slews of glass/debris from the city and loving them. Only have 850miles on them but no flats thus far. Was very disappointed in the set of Ribmos i ran right before these and had multiple issues with the sidewalls of Gatorskins. Hoping the marathons are my new go-to commuting/touring tire.

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:55 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
dear fitness and strength,

where the fork are you? I miss you.

I'll come looking.

love,
josh.

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
youre just keeping it underwraps before cross season... thats all :D

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:34 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
dudes, I rode track for the first time tonight. I think I had the most fun I've ever had on a bike..I was literally smiling coming out of the turns at one point.

the 43° banking was pretty intimidating at first (and some dude actually did come off his bike because he wasn't going fast enough..clipped my back wheel, enough to knock my foot out of my pedal!), but holy shiitake when you're at pace that was stupid fun. can't wait to go back!

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 1069
Location: Denver
I went with 25s. My initial plan had been something fatter, but I'll be honest, i was impaitent to try the new wheels and that's what we had in stock at work. So far, they ride great. I even tried them on a gravel road. The flat protection seem pretty intense.

I truly hated gatorskins (also sidewall issues). We've had a lot of good luck overall with Conti in our house (grand prix 4000, touring plus, contacts) But my partner's most recent set of grand prix have been shiitake. what the fizzle, Conti?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm
Posts: 73
Location: London
Eric. wrote:
Katie wrote:
Eric. wrote:
Havnt been racing much lately but im heading over for le Tour in a week!


This explains your ride from Heathrow then hahah! Enjoy it!


Yeah, the UK was amazing! only spent a bit of time there but even though i was thoroughly jet-lagged/hung over the 70mile ride was amazing! Im hoping to have a run down of the trip soon but I did make it to Brighton on the way back over from the Ferry to eat at VBites. Not sure how often you make it that far south but it seemed like a fun beach town.


Just read your whole trip report, seriously amazing. Got me planning a trip to Annecy next summer. Brighton is great, I just got back from there! Went out on a MTB for the first time on the South Downs :D

I also did my first century on Sunday! As part of a massive cycling weekend in London with some other pro races and crits. Quite a flat course taking in a couple of the iconic climbs in Surrey. 6hrs15 total time which I'm really pleased with. What next!?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
joshua wrote:
dudes, I rode track for the first time tonight. I think I had the most fun I've ever had on a bike..I was literally smiling coming out of the turns at one point.


Sweet! glad you had a good time and didnt get crashed out! track racing is always on my my to-do list but never get around to it.

Olives wrote:
I went with 25s. My initial plan had been something fatter, but I'll be honest, i was impaitent to try the new wheels and that's what we had in stock at work. So far, they ride great. I even tried them on a gravel road. The flat protection seem pretty intense.

I truly hated gatorskins (also sidewall issues). We've had a lot of good luck overall with Conti in our house (grand prix 4000, touring plus, contacts) But my partner's most recent set of grand prix have been shiitake. what the fizzle, Conti?


Nice, I ended up with 28s for the same reason... too impatient. really like them on the road and gravel. Interesting, i actually just went through 2 Conti GP4000s that both had sidewall issues!


Katie wrote:
Just read your whole trip report, seriously amazing. Got me planning a trip to Annecy next summer. Brighton is great, I just got back from there! Went out on a MTB for the first time on the South Downs :D

I also did my first century on Sunday! As part of a massive cycling weekend in London with some other pro races and crits. Quite a flat course taking in a couple of the iconic climbs in Surrey. 6hrs15 total time which I'm really pleased with. What next!?


Thanks! Awesome, Annecy seemed amazing!! Are you going to bring your bike for the climbing around there? Whats the South Downs?

very nice. the first 100miler is a big one. once you get that done the possibilities are endless, ie a double :D

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: idontevenknowanymore
I did my first no-hands track stand last night. felt so good!

Eric. wrote:
joshua wrote:
dudes, I rode track for the first time tonight. I think I had the most fun I've ever had on a bike..I was literally smiling coming out of the turns at one point.


Sweet! glad you had a good time and didnt get crashed out! track racing is always on my my to-do list but never get around to it.

came close, actually. the banking is stupid steep, so you need to hold ~15mph to maintain traction. a dude above me hesitated and fell off the wall, hit my back wheel, knocked a shoe out of my pedal, but I held it okay. whew.

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
I had the pleasure of someone prying my roofrack off our car few weeks back, so im looking on going the hitch route before cross season (aka asap). Any suggestions on a solid 1 ¼” 4-bike rack?

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Bull City, NC
Image

I got a touring bike! My boyfriend and I have been talking about bike touring for a long time, but we couldn't find a bike that fit me properly and appealed to my sense of bicycle aesthetics so we kept putting it off and hoping we'd find something perfect. Were on the cusp of buying an older mountain bike frame and turning it into a touring bike when we found this thing, which feels/rides great and is in fantastic shape for a bike from the 1980s. I've always kind of wanted an older miyata, too. Front wheel is smaller so they can cut the rest of the frame down to fit short people. Now to get myself in touring shape and the bicycle in riding shape so we can do some weekend trips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7254
Location: Portland
Eric. wrote:
I had the pleasure of someone prying my roofrack off our car few weeks back, so im looking on going the hitch route before cross season (aka asap). Any suggestions on a solid 1 ¼” 4-bike rack?


My old team was sponsored by Kuat racks, and they were pretty much the tits as far as hitch racks go.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am
Posts: 698
Location: philly.
is that a 650B on the front??!


jordanpattern wrote:
Eric. wrote:
I had the pleasure of someone prying my roofrack off our car few weeks back, so im looking on going the hitch route before cross season (aka asap). Any suggestions on a solid 1 ¼” 4-bike rack?


My old team was sponsored by Kuat racks, and they were pretty much the tits as far as hitch racks go.


Those things are really legit! Helped my buddy put one on a month or so back. Might be a bit out of my price range right now unless i found one used as i just picked up another CX rig and 2 sets of tubs for this season...

_________________
http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Bull City, NC
It's a 24''! If I ever go anywhere without lots of well-stocked bike stores I'm going to have to bring a ton of tubes along.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm 
Offline
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1140
Sweet ride, Pbake!

Eric, I forget. Did you upgrade the wheels on your TCR? I still have the wheels it came with and after a wicked descent last Saturday I was reminded about my desire for more stability.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 81  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer