| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lifesavers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:09 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Do you like lifesavers? I loved them. It's a forking shame I only decided to call them today and ask, because pep-o-mint lifesavers? Not even vegetarian. Stearic acid derived from cows and pigs.

Ugh.

Today's vegan PSA.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Lifesavers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Good to know. Bad to know. Bad to hear, good to know.

Your post made me check out my Altoids Smalls (magnesium stearate), Fisherman's Friend (same story), and Liberty mints (by Tic Tac, can't read the German ingredient list). Not sure of the magnesium stearate source for the Smalls or Fisherman's Friend mints... Will let you know if I find any reliable information.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Last I looked at altoids, they contained gelatin. That was a couple years ago though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:07 pm 

creep wrote:
Last I looked at altoids, they contained gelatin. That was a couple years ago though.

truth. but sometimes the euro ones are different, luckily for the european vegans.

i'm off to check ingredient lists and email companies.

blargh.

thanks rebekah!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

creep wrote:

Normal Altoids do, yes, but Altoids Smalls (different shape and texture, come in littler tin) don't. But that doesn't mean they're vegan: I wrote to both Altoids (made by Wrigley's, same as Lifesavers, probably not a good sign) and Fisherman's Friend earlier, will report back if/when they reply.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rebekah wrote:
Good to know. Bad to know. Bad to hear, good to know.

Your post made me check out my Altoids Smalls (magnesium stearate), Fisherman's Friend (same story), and Liberty mints (by Tic Tac, can't read the German ingredient list). Not sure of the magnesium stearate source for the Smalls or Fisherman's Friend mints... Will let you know if I find any reliable information.

Fisherman's Friend say they are vegan. I checked when I had an awful cold a few years back.
From their Facebook "about section":
Quote:
The manufacturers have won the Queen's Award to Industry for Export Achievement three times. Fisherman's Friend lozenges are also suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

From the product page on their website for the original extra-strong lozenges:
Quote:
FISHERMAN'S FRIEND Original Extra Strong lozenges are an all natural product with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. The product is gluten-free, contains no genetically modified organisms, and is fat and cholesterol free. FISHERMAN'S FRIEND products are dairy free and made from plant and vegetable sources only. The product is suitable for coeliacs and vegans and is Kosher and Halal approved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The same thing happened to be with my beloved C. Howard Violet Mints. I wrote them and they said their stearic acid is from animal sources. It was a dark day.

On the upside the Tic Tac faq page has this
Quote:
Are Tic Tac® mints free of animal products?

Yes, Tic Tac® mints are free of products derived from animals.

I like the wintergreen ones. I liked the cinnamon ones too, but I never see them in stores, and they aren't on the Tic Tac website either, though they're for sale on a bunch of different websites. *shrug* Wintergreen is delicious anyway.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Raspberrycomplaint, that info looks thorough and legit. SCORE! I'll let you know if they tell me differently. Until then, the cherry-flavored Fisherman's Friends are surprisingly good.

Jessilikewhoa, the Tic Tacs I can get in Germany are called "Liberty Sugarfree by Tic Tac." They look and taste different than Tic Tacs, so I'm hoping your information still applies. They are delicious, and come in a sleek little tin with a LANDSCAPE INSIDE. Therefore, I want them to be vegan above all other mints.

Here are the ingredients (in German):

Zutaten: Zuckeraustauschstoffe 96% (Xylit, Sorbit, Maltit), Verdickungsmittel, Gummi arabicum, Pfefferminzaromen, Trennmittel: Magnesiumsalze von Speisefettsäuren, Aromen, Vanillin, Süßstoff: Sucralose. Kann bei übermäßigem Verzehr abführend wirken

Bing translates that as:

Ingredients: sweeteners (96% (xylitol, sorbitol, maltitol), thickening agent, rubber Arabic, peppermint flavors, anti-caking agent: magnesium salts from fatty acids, flavors, Vanillin, sweeteners: sucralose. Can have laxative excessive consumption

So... we're safe, except for the laxative bit?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 am 

Tic Tacs are safe! Oh good. I got some Yummy Earth peppermints but they were $3.20 for a bag, which I won't always be in the mood for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, once I found out Tic Tacs are safe I started constantly buying them and carrying them with me. I used to buy the Newman's Own mints, and Vermints, and the vanilla Myntz from Trader Joes, but the tins always ended up opening and spilling in my purse, and were so expensive too. Tic Tacs all the way.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

Yeah a tiny thing of VerMints is $3.40 or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Heard back from Fisherman's Friend:

Quote:
The magnesium stearate in Fisherman's Friend lozenges is derived exclusively from plants.

Marge Kuhlmann
Brand Manager
PEZ Candy Inc.

My conscience is now at peace. About mints, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had contacted Altoids about their Altoids Smalls back in January, and here is their response:

"Dear Jennifer,

Thanks for contacting Wrigley to ask about the use of animal-derived ingredients in our products sold in the United States. We understand it's important to you to know the ingredients in the food you eat, and that many people have dietary restrictions.

The magnesium stearate we use is not animal derived. It is plant derived.

The majority of Wrigley products sold in the U.S. are free from ingredients of animal origin, including egg and dairy products. A list of these acceptable products is included or attached with this response.

While a small percentage of the products we sell in the U.S. may contain ingredients of animal origin, we take great strides to ensure our products are free from any animal-based ingredients in geographies with dietary restrictions preventing such ingredients. For example, all Wrigley products sold in the Middle East and Indonesia are free from animal-derived ingredients.

Our priority is, and always will be, to manufacture only the highest quality confectionery products using ingredients that meet the needs of our customers around the world. By understanding our global customers and adjusting product offerings accordingly, we are able to deliver great tasting confections to more than 180 countries.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions or comments please feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST.

U.S. Wrigley Products Without Animal-Derived Ingredients

Wrigley's Spearmint® gum
Doublemint® gum and mints
Big Red® gum
Juicy Fruit® stick gum
Winterfresh® gum
Five® Cobalt, Rain, Flare, Prism, Solstice, Swerve, Vortex, Beta, RPM, and React2 gums
Extra® Classic Bubble Gum, Peppermint, Spearmint, Winterfresh, Sweet, Watermelon, Sweet Tropical, all Dessert Delights flavors
Eclipse® gum and mints
Hubba Bubba® chunk and tape gums
Freedent® gum
Orbit® Bubblemint, Wintermint, Pina Colada, Strawberry Remix, Tropical Remix, Melon Remix, Peppermint, Spearmint, Cinnamint, Sweetmint, Fruit Punch
Orbit White® pellet gums
LifeSavers® hard candies
Skittles® candies
Altoids® Smalls mints
*Note: Slight changes to product recipes can occur from time to time. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-WRIGLEY any time to answer any ingredient questions that come up.

Sincerely,

Gregory Smith
Consumer Care Representative"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

joyfulvegan, thank you so much for sharing! I will now stop feeling guilty about how much I like those Altoid Smalls tins. No landscape inside, but one can't have everything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Now I'm confused, because the person appifanie talked to on the phone said that Lifesavers have stearic acid from cows and pigs, but the email joyfulvegan got said Lifesavers are free of animal ingredients.

Why can't companies make things easier for us? GAH.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am 

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Now I'm confused, because the person appifanie talked to on the phone said that Lifesavers have stearic acid from cows and pigs, but the email joyfulvegan got said Lifesavers are free of animal ingredients.

Why can't companies make things easier for us? GAH.

you should see my confused face right now!!!! maybe the minty lifesavers aren't and the fruity ones are?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm pretty sure "Lifesavers hard candy" only refers to the fruity hard Lifesavers and is the only one that seems to be vegan.
The pep-o-mint and wint-o-green (or whatever they are) are called "lifesavers mints" on all the packaging with no reference to hard candy. There are also "lifesavers gummies" which probably have gelatin, and aren't included on the list that joyful vegan posted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Boo. Though, cherry Lifesavers are kind of delicious, so maybe not entirely boo.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wonder if that means the butter rum ones are vegan? They are called hard candies and I loved them but always assumed they weren't vegan.

Eta- yeah, they have cream in them. I'm not sure I'd trust that list.

Last edited by blondiefk on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

blondiefk wrote:
I wonder if that means the butter rum ones are vegan? They are called hard candies and I loved them but always assumed they weren't vegan.

The ingredient list I found online made them appear to be not vegan. I forgot there were hard candy lifesavers other than the 5 flavor rolls... I rarely get them and always go straight for the 5 flavors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:11 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So hold the phone, Orbit bubble mint is vegan? Are we trusting the list or not? This could change everything. B Fresh is so good, but ridiculously expensive. Although it does have B12...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

I buy mostly orbit. B fresh is yummy but it's hard and makes my jaw hurt, and then I get a headache.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The response Wrigley sent me wasn't nearly as thorough as joyfulvegan's:

Quote:

Dear Rebekah,

Thank you for contacting Wrigley to ask about animal-derived ingredients in our products sold in the United States.

We understand that it is important for our consumers to know the ingredients in the food that they eat, and we also know that dietary restrictions must be carefully considered. We are happy to answer your question and share this information with you. Altoids® Smalls do not contain any animal-based ingredients.

We hope this information is helpful. For additional questions or more information about Wrigley, please visit www.wrigley.com, or contact us at any time at 1-800-WRIGLEY (974-4539) Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

Have a sweet day!

Thomas Brady
Consumer Care Representative

Congratulations to... everyone who still lives in a country where Altoids Smalls are available.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Did anyone ever hear anything more about Lifesavers? I was actually just wondering today if they were vegan or not, so this was a perfect time to find this post!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

logicalharmony wrote:
Did anyone ever hear anything more about Lifesavers?

Wrigley sent JoyfulVegan a list of their animal-free products. Right now it's about halfway down this thread. Looks like Lifesaver mints are off the table, but the flavored Lifesaver hard candies are okay. But the Wrigley site says the butter rum flavor contains utter, so... The list can't be trusted completely.