| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You should say the name! I'll pass it along to my dad and I bet he would go support them. Especially since he well remembers the crepe he got after Vietnam, he will (well, my whole family will) generally support any business that does a little extra.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
So I've been writing to a lot of businesses that would be appealing to the 20-25 year old gainfully employed single male demographic asking for donations to put in gift bags for our single sailors returning from deployment. It's tough work because I can't really solicit on behalf of the boat directly (because it could lead to charges that they were bribing the government or something and we have to be super careful to be clear that people are NOT giving to the ship, and I can't solicit officially as the so-and-so position's wife) and our family group is not a 501(c)3 because we're really too small. So it's mostly a lot of nos or stony silence.

But one of the first two places I contacted is being amazingly generous and basically giving us gift cards for every single sailor to have a meal there. I don't want to say the name here, but they're also one of my favorite omni regional chain "fast casual" places to visit as a vegan, and while I'm sure most of the sailors aren't going to use their cards to get a vegan meal it still makes me extra happy.

It must've been beginner's luck because I've yet to hear anything since from anyone, but still. I'm glad it's a place I can feel good having awesome feelings about.

That is so awesome! I bet the single sailors are going to be so psyched to get such a nice gift! And go you for doing something so kind!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Well, there are a few reasons I don't want to say - we don't actually have them in hand yet, I want it to be a surprise to the sailors, and I don't want people to stumble across this on google and have them suddenly get inundated with requests from local ships if they're not prepared to give out cards to, say, a whole carrier. But they're pretty much exclusive to the Southwest US, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

A friend of mine from my a cappella group is making desserts for another friend from the group's birthday this weekend and emailed me this afternoon to ask me how to make them vegan. It was both really sweet in and of itself, and also it reminded me of how lucky I am with these people who are always super respectful of my veganism. We all have dinner together at someone's house before rehearsal most weeks and everyone is always so good about making sure there's something for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

To Annak: Have you tried A-16? It's locally owned even though it is a chain (outdoor stuff like REI) -- which is my next suggestion: REI? They are both super supportive of the .mil.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just got back from a 10 day tour with my 10 person band. only 4/10 people are vegan, but i was amazed at how open every single person was to going out of our way to find restaurants that everyone could eat at. The non vegans were completely comfortable eating vegan and even went out of their way to look up vegan restaurants wherever we went. I"d say they ended up eating 50% of their meals vegan and even went to places like lovin' hut and a couple other vegan restaurants just to make sure everyone got fed. I'm so lucky to associate with people who are so easy going and open to supporting everyone. I mean, it probably helped that when we were in NYC and a couple members took off separately to have a little bit of a meat fest, no one opposed and kind of just let them be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've got 3 work friends in my small office - 3! - who are interested in making the switch to animal-free diets. Two are taking the initial baby steps (cutting out meat, switching to non-dairy milk, etc) after reading books, seeing documentaries, and seeing the food I bring in, and they are full of questions and committed to at the very least going meatless. My other friend has already borrowed and copied recipes from VEW, I've turned her on to the PPK recipes, and every night she sends me a text and a pic of what she made for dinner. One convert at a time... Not only am I excited that they are doing something good for themselves and the animals, but I'm excited to have someone IRL to take recipes with!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I went to a wedding on Sunday to watch the kids I nanny for and there were delicious vegan options! The mom had told me that they were planning on having vegan options at the wedding since a lot of the brides friends are veg, but I was still not expecting much. I didn't get to serve myself since I was off with the kids, but the parents brought me a plate of herb roasted tofu (so good!) and a wild rice salad. It was all super delicious! And later when I went with the kids to get them cupcakes, I heard a server telling a guest what ice cream flavors they had and one was dairy free! It was awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I went out to eat with my 80-year-plus grandmother and one of her friends at the country club (which had awesome vegan food). My grandmother and her friend were talking about how great it is that vegan food is everywhere now. We got onto the subject of eggs somehow, and my grandmother's friend said, "Oh, there's a kind of eggs vegans can eat. My vegan neighbors told me about them." She was so excited to tell me about the vegan eggs, and I was dreading explaining the problems with cage-free eggs.

It turns out her neighbors told her about flax eggs, and she thought a flax egg was a kind of egg. And then we all agreed that vegan food is delicious, and it's silly of people to think otherwise. I love having my negative expectations subverted!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:01 pm 
Inflexitarian

The sweet and salty popcorn I just got done eating. Labelled vegan and everything...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to a party yesterday and even though it was a big group, the host made me a veggie burger sandwich while everyone else was eating pizza. Like, I didn't even have to put it together myself, he condimented it up and everything and delivered it to where I was sitting. And then, even though everyone saw what was going on, no one said anything and I got to sit and enjoy my food in peace. Win!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

couroupita wrote:
I went to a party yesterday and even though it was a big group, the host made me a veggie burger sandwich while everyone else was eating pizza. Like, I didn't even have to put it together myself, he condimented it up and everything and delivered it to where I was sitting. And then, even though everyone saw what was going on, no one said anything and I got to sit and enjoy my food in peace. Win!!

This strikes me as a huge win.

Dad loved Snobby Joes tonight! And they were tasty even without chili powder or bell peppers. Happy to have found a vegan dish that isn't pasta to give him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 am 
Saggy Butt

mollyjade wrote:
She was so excited to tell me about the vegan eggs, and I was dreading explaining the problems with cage-free eggs.

It turns out her neighbors told her about flax eggs, and she thought a flax egg was a kind of egg. And then we all agreed that vegan food is delicious, and it's silly of people to think otherwise. I love having my negative expectations subverted!

That's so sweet! And how cool that the country club serves good vegan food.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just bought two kinds of flatbread that specified vegetable mono and di glycerides and l-cysteine. Kontos foods, which is made in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made muffins and a pie last night. I took them to my family's house today. While they found the pie very heavy they thought it tasted great. Even the 13yr old super fussy eater polished off a decent slice of it. My uncle was raving about the muffins. God bless Julie Hasson and her recipes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i attended an event on campus yesterday, that stated in the description that there would be free pizza with vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options. unfortunately, i arrived an hour late, so i wasn't expecting there to be any pizza left. after opening empty boxes all along the table, i open the box labeled VEGAN, and find a WHOLE FORKING PIZZA, untouched. after the event, one of the coordinators noticed that i was the only person who took any of the vegan pizza, and asked if i wanted to take the rest; i declined, because i wasn't about to carry a huge box of pizza on the bus, but i did grab the small, lone, untouched gluten-free/vegan pizza, to share with my friend who is gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and potato free at lunch today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 am 

I went to a friend's kids first birthday party, and she made sure I had stuff to eat and that stuff was clear. I mean, it was mainly chips and dips (pita/hummus and tortilla/salsa) but whatever! There was something, and the pita chips were so, so good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love when that happens, np!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:54 pm 

Mandatory important work meeting and I have a choice between FOUR vegan options. And I'm pretty sure the sides included (fruit or pasta salad and a cookie) will be vegan, too. I have the best coworkers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A close friend is having a huge catered engagement party in a couple of weeks. I hadn't put much thought in the meal part of the evening, thinking I would eat a light meal before going, bring a snack and not expect too much. She called me yesterday and was so excited to tell me that the chef at the hall is vegetarian and is going to make me a special vegan meal. I have no idea what it will be and I wont get my hopes up too high, but the fact that my friend was so excited was really sweet and warmed my heart :)

I will still put a couple snacks in the car, LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:32 am 
Flounceiad 2011

More a PPK-filter-related awesome, but someone posted the following on FB:

"Looking for a night of laughs, hors d'oeuvres and wine? You won't find a better (or more affordable) date night in the Upstate. For tonight only, you get the show and a delightful intermission with moi for the price of ONE Ticket!!!! Pick up the phone and call (864) 646-8100!"

I cannot stop snickering and wanting to reply with something silly that this poor person would in no way comprehend.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 am 

Desdemona wrote:
More a PPK-filter-related awesome, but someone posted the following on FB:

"Looking for a night of laughs, hors d'oeuvres and wine? You won't find a better (or more affordable) date night in the Upstate. For tonight only, you get the show and a delightful intermission with moi for the price of ONE Ticket!!!! Pick up the phone and call (864) 646-8100!"

I cannot stop snickering and wanting to reply with something silly that this poor person would in no way comprehend.

There's a vegetarian food truck in Denton, Texas, called Shiitake Swerves and they refer to their fans as shiitake-heads.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:38 pm 

I was on Barnes and Noble today, and these two kids (maybe 18?) were like, "Oh! Here's the vegetarian section! Vegetarian and vegan! I love seeing that word!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I found a place that sells churros that are vegan. I had ones stuffed with peanut butter and jelly. Yum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and my friend who's getting married just emailed to tell me exactly what I could eat there, and I get to have one of the cocktail hour appetizers (avocado mousse!) and a chocolate cupcake!! (also some real food but whatevs - just knowing I get a cupcake makes me soooo happy!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 25  Next