| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The wEAn thread: support/help/? for moms done with it.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 am 
Inflexitarian

That's a really great way to maintain the routine yet transition out of nursing PB, I love it! Right now nursing is literally the last thing we do. After the lights go off we both get in her bed, I nurse her to sleep and then I sneak out of the bed. By the time bathtime is over she's already asking to nurse, actually, before bathtime she's already asking! So moving nursing to an earlier part of the bed time routine would probably be something she would even be cool with me starting now and then slowly moving the routine around changing it based on how she responds. Hence fourth I will call my new method of bedtime weaning the Bodhi-Poopie method. When anyone ask me how I transitioned from night nursing I'll just say "I used the Bodhi-Poopie method" with a super serious straight face then raise and eyebrow like "what...you don't know what that is?" Thanks a ton PB!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm ready to move on from breastfeeding. Walter will be 3 in November. He's so big and talkative now, and lately he seems like a real kid, not a baby anymore. I just feel like he's old enough, and my boobs are tired.

Lately we're down to bedtime only, less than 5 minutes, and once or twice a week at naptime. He doesn't nurse to fall asleep anymore, it's just part of our routine after 2.75 years. My husband has put Walter to bed a handful of times when I wasn't home, but tonight was the first night he handled bedtime with me still in the house. Walter squawked for two seconds when he realized I was leaving the room, but you know what? After that he was totally fine. No tears, no calling for me. I'm relieved, but also want to cry a little.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:03 pm 
And you never will.

I've only nursed Peter once this week! It was for a few minutes yesterday. I've been trying to distract him when he asks, but it was after we got home from hanging out with my cousin and I'd held his baby for like an hour while she slept on me, so Peter was feeling pretty jealous and clingy so I figured it would help reassure him. Every time he nurses now I think it could be the last time, we're definitely getting close.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You ladies are awesome! You sound like you're in a good place with this transition and the boys appear to be making it easy. Best of luck that it continues!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

mittenmacher those last two sentences made me choke up a little. After 3 years of nursing it's both a joy and a pain to see them growing away from you in this way that you've been connected since birth. Yet, you are carving a new path together as well. Guineapieglet's dad has only put her to sleep once without me being there as an experiment and the experiment was a total bust which ended in her waking up every 2 seconds and crying her eyes out for me. So...needless to say we haven't tried it again. But I'd like to experiment with it again now that we have a really solid night time routine down that she initiates and follows on her own. What did your husband do to get your little one down to sleep when you weren't there?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

He does the regular routine, minus the nursing: read a few books, pajamas, snuggle in the rocking chair and sing a song, drink of water, back rub in bed, goodnight. He goes to sleep on his own.

Ha, this morning Walter said to me out of nowhere, "Moms can nurse babies, and they can nurse big boys!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 pm 
And you never will.

I think we're done! We had a discussion yesterday about how my boobs only make milk for babies, and he's a big boy now so my boobs stopped making milk (which isn't a total lie - the last couple of times he nursed I don't think I let-down at all). There's also been a lot of talk about how I can still hold him and sing to him, and he likes to pull my shirt down and "snuggle with your boobs, mummy". He lays his head on them and pats them and smells them, but since we had the talk he's stopped trying to nurse.

I feel a little guilty like I should be sad, because people always talk about being a little sad when it's over, but I'm not sad at all. 38 months dude. I'm FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think you're a super star and i think your conversation with him sounds very sweet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We switched up our bedtime routine from pjs, books, nurse to nurse, pjs, books. It's been about a week and Will has been going down just fine. Bedtime is the only time he nurses and I'm fairly certain I only have drops at this point (10weeks pregnant), so I'm just wondering do I keep offering until he decides it's not worth it or just stop and see what happens?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Do you feel ready to wean? I weaned when I was 14 weeks because I just couldn't handle nursing at all and it made me feel like my skin was crawling! I would think it mostly depends on how you feel about the nursing relationship and whether you are still enjoying that time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, I think it really comes down to if you feel ready to wean or not.

When I weaned L while pregnant, there was no question that it was time. Nursing while pregnant was SUPER uncomfortable for me, and then when I found out it was twins, that was the final push to wean since my OB strongly recommended I stop nursing ASAP (she would have been OK with me nursing during an uncomplicated singleton pregnancy, but not a twin pregnancy). L was 21 months old and we were down to nursing only once a day, first thing in the morning. I would bring her into bed with us when she woke up and we'd nurse, snuggle, and usually sleep a bit more. To get out of that pattern, I just had to get up with her and not go back to bed, which was terrible for me while so tired and pregnant, but L took it pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Congratulations poopie!

We haven't nursed in a week and I don't feel sad either. 33 months was enough! I think we'll have a conversation like yours soon, just to put the issue to rest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Kdub, when I was pregnant with M, I decided to let E keep nursing as long as he wanted... He went for two months (!!) after I felt like I was totally dried out, and then one day he just stopped. Good luck with whatever you decide!

M has had a couple of nights recently where he hasn't asked to nurse before bed. (He still refers to nursing as "NO!" by the way.) Other nights he's been craaaaazy for NO. Not sure if we are reaching the end here or what.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Last night I think he took a total of 12 sucks, but he seemed happy enough with it and waddled away to change into pajamas without a fuss. Other nights involve a little crying or hitting and some days are more uncomfortable than others for me, but I am not at the point yet where I MUST be done. I guess we'll keep it up a little while longer and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, I guess Will is officially done nursing. I decided to keep offering at bedtime, but he was seeming less and less interested. A few nights ago, he wanted nothing to do with it. I offered the next few nights and he would latch for about 2 seconds then run away. Tonight is the first night of not offering. It's actually a lot easier than I imagined it to be all those months ago!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ugh. I'm having a really hard time with nursing lately because I feel like we should be progressing to weaning and we are not. The nursing seems to have increased lately and she is tenacious. I try to redirect her, offer snacks, soy milk in a cup, refuse, etc, and she does not forget the original nursing goal and freaks out. The past couple nights I have tried to redirect her to snuggling after nursing and she completely melts down and will not stop asking to nurse (after hours last night). I wouldn't really care except we had already nursed so much that day my nipples were sore and burning.

My only thought is that potty training has really ramped up and she has not worn diapers for two weeks. That is going great. I'm purposely not saying she is a "big girl" in case this regression is related to moving on from babyhood.

Any other advice? I don't want to quit cold turkey, but I'm not thrilled with going to back to the newborn schedule (my poor nipples!). She just turned two.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG me too. Leela pretty much nurses nonstop in her sleep after 3 am. I have tried saying "Mommy's boobies need to sleep now." And she rolls off, across the bed and then cries "Mama closer!" And when I get closer she latches on again and nurses forever. I really am missing way too much sleep right now. I was assuming it was a growth spurt but maybe its not? I am not purposefully trying to wean, but yeah, at 2 I was kind of hoping there would be a gentle tapering off, so we could both sleep through the night. I can't sleep when she is latched, because once she falls asleep, her latch drifts open and she then reflexively bites me, which hurts like heck.

Congratulations on the potty training! That is great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm 

Yeah, mama's boobies need to sleep generates no empathy! I hope tonight is better. Last night was SOOOOOOO awful! it's a miracle I had a snow day from work... I would have been a zombie.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Maybe the only way to end night nursing at least is to have her sleep separately? I would prefer to still be cosleeping but I couldn't function without sleep anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:01 pm 

I'm not really interested in night weaning, as much as weaning weaning. She wants to nurse so often in the daytime it's annoying to me. The freak outs when I try to deflect her are massive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I completely weaned grey at 26 months. When he was around 16 months we had started giving him a bottle of milk for bedtime and then if he woke he could nurse. At some point I stopped that too, so if he woke up at night he would get another bottle, then we changed that to water once we moved to Arizona. He was still nursing during the day at that point. Basically over time I lessened the nursing sessions. I didn't make my breasts available and when he asked I told him he could have milk (meaning bottle) or water or a snack. I also never gave in. Over the summer I started to hate nursing so much and I was beginning to almost resent grey for wanting to nurse and one night he woke up screaming for BOOBIE and that was it for me. I'm sure it sounds harsh, but I was so done already and to have him screaming for boobie was too much. That was in September, in November we weaned him off the bottle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm 

No, it doesn't sound harsh. That's how I'm starting to feel.

I've been wondering if a bottle might help, but she hasn't had a bottle in maybe a year? So that seems like a backwards step for us. I give her milk in a cup, which she usually ignores or drinks it and then screams to nurse anyway. I guess I'm going to wait to set firm limits until she is more secure with the potty training/full days at school. Right now I'm not ready to fight about it. Trying to refuse ruins the whole day for us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey had rarely had a bottle before 16 months so I was nervous about it and then he was soooooo attached. Actually we all got noro virus and he kept puking so I told him he couldn't have milk in a bottle and since then he won't drink milk cause he only wants a bottle and we never gave it back. For us it seems like just making the decision and then sticking with it works better than slowly tapering off. It was maybe three days of whining for the bottle and now he never asks. If we had given in it would still be a daily fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, and we are extra bad parents cause both when I stopped nursing and stopped the bottle we were traveling. Nothing like taking away security when we are away from home!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mooo wrote:
Maybe the only way to end night nursing at least is to have her sleep separately? I would prefer to still be cosleeping but I couldn't function without sleep anymore.

That's how it was for us. For a while I took him out of his crib and nursed him when he woke up in the night, but the wakings were less frequent because I wasn't right there next to him. After a couple of months I stopped nursing him in the night and just rubbed his back instead, and once we night weaned he pretty much stopped waking up in the night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next